Winter 2023

NewTricks

Those little blue thing I have out front (must find out what they actually are) have been in flower all through winter this year, probably because I drastically cut them back last year from 12" high to about 1.5".

Only a few in December/January but they are starting to come back now, photo later if it hasn't gone dark by the time I get home.

Having now done some searching I have decided that it's a variety of Periwinkle, possibly Creeping Myrtle although that seems to have narrower petals than mine. I guess I'll never know which variety for sure.
(PS. Creeping Myrtle sounds like a nosey old neighbour. You can just imagine her sneaking about).

The flower and leaf shapes, and of course the blue color, matches well.
Apparently all year round flowering is not unusual as long as there is not a hard frost.

Compare the ones pictured here: https://www.gardenia.net/plant/vinca-minor-bowles-variety-periwinkle with this one that I took in the rain last April.
(Mine would probably appreciate some plant food to get a deeper blue and greener leaf)
20230430_125714.thumb.jpg.d32bb57ee6530e7fcf652ee84b11ba56.jpg

Just quickly snaped these in this mornings sunlight, you can see that some flowers are a much deeper blue than others.

20240306_093014.thumb.jpg.473bfb3e24d7e9633221bfce304b63fb.jpg      20240306_093024.thumb.jpg.5572cfc0c9bcf3a5c05e86b8c6147f6d.jpg

Edited by nukecad
  • Like 1

Knowing New Tricks' prediliction here's a pink Periwinkle: https://www.gardenia.net/plant/cathranthus-roseus-periwinkle-vinca

(That one is also called Running Myrtle - maybe the neighbour got caught creeping about and is hurrying away blushing in embarassment?)

Edited by nukecad

2 hours ago, nukecad said:

(PS. Creeping Myrtle sounds like a nosey old neighbour. You can just imagine her sneaking about).

Yes, she does. I can imagine, peering in windows, wearing a bathrobe and glasses, hair net still on.

I definitely vote for creeping Myrtle from your photos.

First, it is an invasive ground cover, and your pictures DEFINITELY feature ground cover. When those covers are left alone, in optimum conditions, they can grow in height to a foot tall. 

If you start to feed an invasive plant, you might get more than you bargained for. 

Last year, I enrolled in a class which included tree identification. The principles or rules are the same for plants. Number of leaves, the arrangement on the stem, shape of the leaf, the edge of the leaf. (etc.) Apply those same principles to the flower as well. 

With the absence of winter in the US, Canada, and possibly UK, the growing season is going to be longer this year, overall hotter and who knows what else. 

Check out the Royal Horticultural Society, Identify Your Plant. Also this seems good, Brooklyn Botanic Garden if you don't want to get into apps. 

Every morning I have a song in my heart when I wake up. Most are from my youth. I don't consciously  choose them, I've got an unseen DJ for that.

Today's song, SUNNY by Bobby Hebb. His parents were both blind musicians. That fills me with joy. ❤️‍🔥  These are the lyrics. 

Sunny, yesterday my life was filled with rain
Sunny, you smiled at me and really eased the pain
The dark days are gone
And the bright days are here
My Sunny one shines so sincere
Sunny one so true, I love you

Sunny, thank you for the sunshine bouquet (that sweet bouquet)
Sunny, thank you for the love you brought my way
You gave to me your all and all
Now I feel ten feet tall

Sunny, thank you for the truth you let me see
Sunny, thank you for the facts from A to Z
My life was torn like a windblown sand
And the rock was formed when you held my hand
Sunny, sunny one so true, I love you

Sunny, thank you for the smile upon your face
Sunny, thank you for the gleam that shows its grace
You're my spark of nature's fire
You're my sweet complete desire

Sunny, yesterday my life was filled with rain
Sunny, you smiled at me and really eased the pain
The dark days are gone
And the bright days are here
My Sunny one shines so sincere

I love you (you're my baby)
I love you (Sunny)
I love you
I love you (Sunny)

Source: LyricFind
Songwriters: Bobby Hebb
  • Like 1

Today's "find" at Harbor Freight. The intention was finding #2 blades, since craft stores were selling a pack of 5 for $6. 😬 

This set was $4.99. I won't use the handles, so they don't matter.

(My bunny's foot is in the upper left background.) 🤫

0308241936~2.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Logitech keyboard K740 is: discontinued? rare? inflated?

• image #1 from Logitech website
  • image #2 from Logitech "Shop"
  • image #3 from Amazon-bogus, since their shop does not have any K740
  • newegg doesn't sell it

What universe am I in where an $80 keyboard price is now $396?

K740.jpg

K845.jpg

Amazon K740.jpg

Edited by NewTricks
format

Not IFF you go to logitech.com  or from a reputable reseller of the product.

Marketplaces have scammers with bloated prices.   A Marketplace is a web site that represents a multitude of sellers.  This sellers may be nefarious and have bloated prices or even be a fly-by-night offering products Today and be off the marketplace next week.  Caveat emptor

There is also the concept of price vs. availability.  If a given product is both desired and hard to find, a seller may raise their price for said product for items that they may have in stock.

The Logitech K845 Illuminated keyboard is available.

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/keyboards/k845-mechanical-illuminated.html

https://www.newegg.com/logitech-k845-ttc-brown-switch/p/0GA-0001-00KR7

EDIT:

Perixx PERIBOARD-317R Wired Backlit USB Keyboard - Big Print Letter - White Illuminated LED - Stylish Round Keycaps - US English - $26

Edited by David H. Lipman
Edited for content, clarity, spelling and/or grammar
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, David H. Lipman said:

I like this! Found something similar with white light, boxy keys, for the visually impaired. (yes, I qualify!)

Those screenshots were from logitech.com. I saw the newegg selection you provided, but it would have to "grow on me." 🤣 Reminded me of the Borg.

Well Amazon can be full of fly-by nights, but they referenced the Logitech store. I'll read reviews to get a feel for what to expect.  Thank you for the options Dave.

I've never owned anything but a black $10 keyboard. This is so sad. 😧 I've accidentally destroyed them, once by vacuuming a key right off, and losing it in the cleaner bag, or by using it until the letters completely wore off. My biggest fault is eating at the desktop. Inevitably crumbs, yogurt, melted butter, or a glob of jam falls on it, between the keys.

Yes, I have compressed air. Yes, I have cleaning wipes; two kinds. Yes, I use them. I have needles, awls and various implements for digging things out. I once kept a plastic packing bag on a new keyboard and pretended it was a membrane. It's time to get serious and respect my equipment. If I want to type in the dark, I have to make some concessions.

It's the battle of the keyboards. The Perrix and Red Dragon are both attractive; plenty of illumination, the former is black the latter is white. Both have specific draws, and drawbacks. I've never played a computer game, and membranes are not my preference, but the lovely colors and white plastic shell, are starting to win me over. The great newegg review is detailed to give even the finickiest person reassurance. Will I break free from my pathetic keyboard history and jump into the deep end? The needle is swinging that way.

Like Professor Xerxes Blixer, I want to have my cake and eat it too.

Kopf cake.jpg