Winter 2023

NewTricks

Darn Tough Vermont is a sockmaker in Northfield, VT, USA. I discovered them a decade ago and bought 2 pair. Why? Because they offer an unconditional guarantee to replace their worn socks with new ones. I saved my receipt and stashed it away.

Wait! Can that possibly be true? Is it company value or marketing ploy? Is it really unconditional? Well no. The socks must be CLEAN on return and contain the complete PAIR.

The price is on the high side, starting at around $17 for the lightest weight. Years ago, that price was $12. I considered it outrageous at the time. Comparatively speaking, I could get a serviceable pair for under $5. So I paid the extra, wondering if I'd ever cash in.

I did. Twice. And each experience was easy & trouble free. The lifespan of these socks is 8 years. Not bad. They do require a bit of TLC. Cold water wash, whether by hand or in the machine. Hang to dry. 

When I was laid up for 5 weeks, my Fruit Stand Shorty Lightweight socks saved the day.

(NO links included in this post! 😉)

Darn Tough Socks.jpg

DarnToughWebsite.jpg

• Thanks 1

I bought a new book recently to help me change my perspective about  everything. This story appeared in the chapter The strategy of collaborating (pg 155) According to this author, the intention of collaboration is to cooperate with the enemy.  🔹🔹🔹

Some boys at school teased a younger boy by frequently asking him to choose between a nickel and a dime. To the malicious glee of the others, he always chose the nickel because it was “the bigger coin.”

The boy’s teacher spoke to him and explained that the dime is worth more than the nickel.

“I know,” said the boy, “but once they know I know, they’ll stop giving me money."

0228240652~2.jpg

• Haha 1

• Root Admin

I have had probably a dozen cats in my life and most of them were reasonably loving and gentle. I did have a couple of cats though that were not safe for being a family cat. The last one would actually attack you and bite you very hard like you were food or another combatant cat. Drew blood from a few family members so we had to find another home for her.

• Sad 1

From a review of Michael Dell's book. Curiously enough his father reacted somewhat predictably (for that time) but his mother's reaction was over-the-top.

As a mother myself, I can't imagine what she might have thought. 

My own Dell's extended service plan for the coming year? $170. It required 1 request from customer service (Pinky from a previous post) then 3 emails. 🙄They need to work on that process, but I'm sure they won't.

S'all good man.

Screenshot_20240301-175003~2.png

Screenshot_20240301-175011~2.png

• Like 1

Friday our building offered free items where I found delightful watercolors made by another tenant here. I chose 4 pieces; used two large and two small to create collages. Most are watercolor, but the tree also shows an application of scrapbook and tissue paper in a surprisingly realistic bark design. Impressive! She also used gold and silver paints, reflective in the right angle of light.

105.jpg

PaperMacheTree.jpg

SilverGoldComposite.jpg

• Like 1

Oooooooo, I have an itty bitty problem. It doesn't deserve a separate post, and I am breaking my own rules by putting it here. This is for fun, silliness and a bit of distraction from SERIOUS ISSUES!

My goal is to put the My Computer icon back on my desktop. 🤨

Yes, I have looked this up and all I find is copying something with a short cut. No. I don't WANT a short cut I want the real thing. Short cuts are for folders not the desktop. But if I have to live without it I will.

Blessings and cheers 😸

Posted (edited)

Ahhhhhhh, so nice to have my desktop back. ☺️And simple? Even I could do it!

Today's focus is on Max LaRochelle, a photographer who is yet barely known, with work on Unsplash, YouTube, Instagram.According to him, he just wants to have fun and learn from others. The lightning photo caught my eye, because people are using it across the web.

MaxLightning.jpg

Edited by NewTricks
formatting

• Root Admin

Lightning photo looks cool but obviously this is a heavily edited photo.

Unless you do Photoshop work or similar software editing you won't be getting this out of your camera anytime soon. But some people adore dramatic edits. I can appreciate them