Winter 2023

NewTricks

The state of affairs. Sprain, no breaks. Compression sleeve, nylon lace ankle brace~working their magic. $$

No dancing. 

Home bound watching Fargo Season 2 with  plaid clothes, 70's pay phones, cars & great soundtrack.  🎶

0125241315~2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the sympathetic reactions.

The good news is, these non-invasive additions are changing my daily life from unrelenting pain to intermittent well managed pain. BIG improvement.  Less walking and more elevation help too. 

Edited by NewTricks
failed attempt at humor

2 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

A lot cheaper than paying $10, $20,

Definitely.

I picked out this Buffalo Games Cinque Terre, Italy 1000 piece. List price $26, Amazon $16, NewTricks $2.

Counted all pieces first, while sorting for the border~affirmative. Puzzle diagram was included~an unexpected plus. Pieces are a bit flimsy, but brand has a good reputation. Will mount later. 

Box.jpg

Border.jpg

• Like 2

I share DNA with this 27 year old young man. We have two interests in common, discovering the meaning of life, and making rhubarb pies.

After a childhood filled with biking, hiking, camping, canoeing (and cats) he became certified in "Outdoor Leadership." I will call him my Favorite Family Member (FFM).

Tableleaping.jpg

FrisbeeFierceness.jpg

between walls-002.jpg

• Like 1

I live vicariously through her exploits. 😄She loved it.

ID:1614775 references "nosy people." I thought I'd expand on this, to give friends here a reality check. So, we all know that telephones, cars, Internet searches, spam, phish and other variants are overtly or covertly stealing our information. But did you know there is an entire industry connected with property which does it all, on the up and up, for ANYONE to harvest? I'm talking about

LAND RECORDS

This is done from COUNTY databases Example 1,  Example 2, Example 3. Depending on your county, whether highly populated, with funding, the records are electronic and found easily on line as a "guest." Frequent users can register. Otherwise, count on a road trip to the county seat, where you'll be faced with heavy, large, books shelved horizontally on rollers.

The purpose is to maintain legal documents of transactions accessible as a PUBLIC RECORD. Your deed, mortgage, bankruptcy, easement, divorce, state tax claim, Federal filings, and all flavors in between are sitting in various places. (Divorces are sealed, citing only parties, year and docket number.)

Prior to 2004, some talented people started realizing the inherent risk of including social security numbers of various documents, particularly mortgages, and started to legally redact. This is now an industry standard. I worked in the title insurance industry from 1997 to 2008, learning the ropes from ground zero. And this job fit me perfectly because I am NOSY. Getting paid for it, and wearing casual clothes was mere frosting on the cake. Putting together a picture of either an individual or corporation involves some detective work as well as imagination. Since human beings input records, they can be misspelled or contain mistakes. One letter (or number) is all it takes.

This skill, honed over time has proven invaluable to me. Anyone can do it, the issue is training. Unless you are working for a company, it's hard to teach yourself. The databases reconfigure and search parameters change. What used to be "easy" in 2000, is now harder. Think of a new OS.

One final note, sites like PeopleSearch, Spokeo,  Intelius contain only kernels of truth. For parents, beware that your records and your child's can be shuffled inadvertently, particularly addresses. Your age may not be accurate, or these sites contain yourself at MULTIPLE ages, each a snapshot in time. Use sparingly, with a grain of salt. Cross referencing public records with unregulated sites as above will often be very accurate. Happy "situational awareness." Don't forget Google Maps and Google Earth.                                                                                                                 

MyrtleBeachOnline.jpg

On 1/30/2024 at 10:41 PM, AdvancedSetup said:

Now to have that PIE bake off

We did, for 10 years, with and without crust or topping. I like "without."

Apologies for color balance, just grab a virtual spoon and jump right in.

2014vs2022.jpg

Edited by NewTricks
photo selection
  • Like 1

• Root Admin
2 hours ago, NewTricks said:

Otherwise, count on a road trip to the county seat, where you'll be faced with heavy, large, books shelved horizontally on rollers.

Exactly how it should be done. People have actually lost their lives due to stalkers using this technology so easily available online. Law enforcement has wrongly targeted people due to bogus, invalid, wrong information as well.

The purpose is to maintain legal documents of transactions accessible as a PUBLIC RECORD. Your deed, mortgage, bankruptcy, easement, divorce, state tax claim, Federal filings, and all flavors in between are sitting in various places. (Divorces are sealed, citing only parties, year and docket number.)

Most of this should not be public record it does not benefit the average person, but it does greatly help stalkers, those trying to steal your identity, those trying to phish you with enough information you may "think" they know you. Business to bombard your home physical mail with spam and offers that look official or look like a company you might work with. Bad actors reach out trying to take advantage of the elderly and destroy their lives abusing this information. I hope Congress at some point cracks down on all of this and comes up with something stronger than GDPR that Europe has, and perhaps save the lives of those being stalked by previous partners

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Updated information
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

People have actually lost their lives due to stalkers using this technology so easily available online. Law enforcement has wrongly targeted people due to bogus, invalid, wrong information as well.

Completely agree. We could go on about this, all the ways it has gone off track, as most things do now. And just an FYI, if you live in certain housing, part of the paperwork includes protection from domestic violence, stalkers, etc. It doesn't change the fact that people are harmed and families destroyed; sometimes for generations.

I don't know the year the US embraced public records, but over time, I've seen horrendous "revelations" in documents where they had no place.  And a word to the wise, I also worked in Surrogate's Court, (wills/trusts/guardianship) and often those are referenced in the chain of title when you buy or sell a home/any property. I won't go into conflicts or contest. Normally attorneys are only privy to details, but that doesn't stop the unscrupulous, found in every profession.

At least eventually there were laws in place to redact Social Security numbers. Like everything, it took time to "roll out" and implement. After watching Fargo Season 5, I'm glad there's more cultural exposure to a certain kind of masculinity which adversely affected women. Sometimes late is better than never.

13 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

hope Congress at some point cracks down on all of this

Me too, but unlikely, since most are not savvy, and may not even think "record security" is a thing. Sometimes people in power are insulated from reality, until it happens to them or their family.

18 hours ago, NewTricks said:

..... with and without crust or topping. I like "without."

nono.gif.5512f931cb852f2777041d1f4c7cdb8a.gif The very definition of a pie is that it has a crust of some description. bottom crust, top crust, or both.

Pastry, (crumble, cobler), potato, whatever, but having a crust is what makes it a 'pie'.

Without a crust it isn't a pie but just a bowl of food. (Stewed meat or fruit).

PS. These days I often cook a flat shortcrust pastry crust in the air fryer, they only take 10 mins to bake, and drop it on top of a microwaved stewed dish - quick top-crust pie.
Often I'll have made some pastry rounds earlier and frozen for later use, (often the 'filling' was made earlier and frozen too), but it only takes me 10-15 mins to knock up enough pastry for one or two crusts.

• Like 1