Malwarebytes broke Windows 11 Updates

Hi,

I have a dual boot PC running Windows 11. There are two different Windows partitions and each one can boot with the other one hidden (so two different setups).

A few weeks ago, update KB5031455 failed on both of these. I just put it down to a problem with the update itself. The update would install itself, but after 30% the PC would reboot (normal so far) and then it would fail rather than finishing the update - and reboot again. Then, after a third reboot, it gave a weird "something's gone wrong here" message. (see screenshot)

Then yesterday the same thing happened with a newer update KB5032190. Again this happened on both of my boot partitions, so I knew it wasn't a bad update, and it was caused by something in common to both boot partitions.

After wasting the better part of a day, and reinstalling Windows 11 (it doesn't overwrite any settings or data - just takes a long time) and trying various other fixes that I found online - I tried disabling Malwarebytes. Everything worked OK after this and the update installed on both partitions.

So - this only applies to the bigger updates, as Windows defender updates, and a .NET update were OK.

To solve my problem - I had to stop Malwarebytes from loading on Windows startup, then quit Malwarebytes (this part probably isn't really necessary)

(see screenshots)

I'll be doing this until I hear that this issue has been resolved - as it is a real PIA (and time waster) to wait for the update to fail and then to roll back and fix itself - which requires 4-5 more reboots.

Has anyone else seen this problem (as of Oct 2023) or is anyone at Malwarebytes aware of it?

PS - I also had to quit Malwarebytes to do the windows re-installs too, as they would fail during the "gathering information" stage. This isn't really a big problem - just a word of advice ;)

IMG_1591.jpg

malwarebytes-1.png

malwarebytes-2.png

malwarebytes-3.png

• Thanks 1

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

On 11/16/2023 at 6:55 AM, jbraner said:

Has anyone else seen this problem (as of Oct 2023) or is anyone at Malwarebytes aware of it?

Yes and yes.

On 11/16/2023 at 6:55 AM, jbraner said:

A few weeks ago, update KB5031455 failed on both of these.

This update was an optional untested PREVIEW of November's Patch Tuesday update. 

I would HIGHLY recommend turning off the following setting to avoid these previews being forced onto you.

image.png.7fa3c104c8cc6ed4691a657fb749d746.png

Edited by Porthos

I would HIGHLY recommend turning off the following setting to avoid these previews being forced onto you.

I have that turned off. I usually just install these option "feature updates" - as I haven't had any trouble with them. I might stop now ;)

Security Update for Windows (KB5032190) is a "real" one though.

I'll run the support tool as mentioned above - for what it's worth.

MalwareBytesPremium 4.6.6  bricked the Nov 14 Windows 11 update on my Framework laptop. Took me awhile to figure out that it was the culprit here. One solution was to uninstall MalwareBytesPremium entirely and then install the windows 11 update, however that too failed. Had to redo system ID Finally reinstall MalwareBytes afterwards. A real PITA.

We have the same problem in a company with approx. 1000 client computers.
I think Malwarebytes is not aware of the extent of the problem. It is extremely time-consuming to apply this workaround (which also works for us) to every computer.

Malwarebytes should get its act together so that this problem is solved by MALWAREBYTES and not by Microsoft as Microsoft will most likely not be interested in this problem.

• Thanks 1

I think Malwarebytes is not aware of the extent of the problem. It is extremely time-consuming to apply this workaround (which also works for us) to every computer.

Malwarebytes should get its act together so that this problem is solved by MALWAREBYTES and not by Microsoft as Microsoft will most likely not be interested in this problem.

@Porthos if you are from malwarebytes can you please forward this request to the appropriate department?

Unfortunately it is not foreseeable whether the december-update will cause the same error. Currently we have to suspend the november-update for 900 clients which means a big security gap for us.

If malwarebytes does not take such things seriously in the future we will have to refrain from further cooperation with malwarebytes as we have had frequent problems with malwarebytes in the past which have cost us a lot of time.

6 hours ago, ThomasN389 said:

if you are from malwarebytes can you please forward this request to the appropriate department?

They are aware.

On 11/24/2023 at 3:53 AM, ThomasN389 said:

What version of Malwarebytes do you use in the company??

What version of Malwarebytes do you use in the company??

Malwarebytes Endpoint Protection

Agent info last refreshed:11/29/2023 12:54:27 PM
Agent version:1.2.0.1080
Endpoint Protection:1.2.0.1187
Endpoint Protection protection update:1.0.77837
Protection service version:4.6.4.286
Component package version:1.0.2163
Asset Manager:1.2.0.642

Of course, there may be minimal differences in the versions of a few computers, but we use this product.

8 minutes ago, ThomasN389 said:

Of course, there may be minimal differences in the versions of a few computers, but we use this product.

This discussion and this forum section is about the consumer version. I only know of Malwarebytes being aware of the issue in the consumer product.

As a business customer, if you're having issues affecting your business then I would  highly suggest you create a Business Support Ticket

This link is not for Consumer products. Creating a Business Ticket for the Consumer Product will actually take much longer to get a response as it will be re-queued to the back of the line in the Consumer Support area.

Business Support
https://service.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Edited by Porthos

• 2 weeks later...

I just installed an update today

"2023-12 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5033375)"

I rebooted and forgot to set up Malwarebytes (to not load on reboot) - but it installed fine and rebooted OK.

So, maybe this problem is fixed (?)

• Like 3

12 hours ago, jbraner said:

I just installed an update today

"2023-12 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5033375)"

I rebooted and forgot to set up Malwarebytes (to not load on reboot) - but it installed fine and rebooted OK.

So, maybe this problem is fixed (?)

I've just installed the same - it installed fine but it's broken some other software I use (Seadrive/Seafile). Ho hum! Not MWB problem though. Thank goodness I regularly image my laptop using Macrium Reflect.

• Like 1

This is effecting Threatdown business users as well. It's a shame with how big companies can be, we don't have time to be uninstalling malwarebytes from each computer and run updates and than reinstall malwarebytes after. Malwarebytes should have patched and fixed this problem but we are still feeling the effects a month later with some end user's computers. Honestly unacceptable

I don't think this has anything to do with "...how big companies can be..." but is a side effect of the complexity of software interactions.  Is is the "chaos" that is introduced.  In this case, Chaos and Complex Systems in a Computing Platform theorem.

References:

Edited by David H. Lipman
Edited for content, clarity, spelling and/or grammar

57 minutes ago, elDylan2020 said:

This is effecting Threatdown business users as well.

As a business customer, if you're having issues affecting your business then I would  highly suggest you create a Business Support Ticket

This link is not for Consumer products. Creating a Business Ticket for the Consumer Product will actually take much longer to get a response as it will be re-queued to the back of the line in the Consumer Support area.

Business Support

16 hours ago, Porthos said:

Business Support

I thought you were taking to the original poster here or me but yes, that sounds like a business ticket should be raised. I always found them very responsive when I was IT manager at my last company where we used MWB commercially.