Fall 2023

NewTricks

The History Department sponsors periodic online talks from notable individuals. Today, Col. Jack H. Jacobs talked about his experiences & viewpoints. Two points emerged as is priorities: mentorship and universal service. I asked him to describe his 2 outstanding mentors. He told stories about a Hungarian calculus mathematician at Rutgers and a senior officer.

1. Before asking for help, study the subject to you identify specifically what you don't know.
  2. Prepare
  3. Make sure you know your objective. A principle of the objective - you have to identify it to know what resources to allocate, so you can accomplish it.
  4. Lewis Carroll (author reference) If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

This is the best person I've heard in 5 years.

NBC News Analyst

Quilt of Valor

Jack H. Jacobs

Below Col.Jacobs is Jacob Staffieri, a NY National Guard recruiter, a presence at colleges upstate. 

Medal_of_Honor_Jacobs.png

Brown_Jacobs_10_10.png

JS_NYNG.jpg

Edited by NewTricks
added image
  • Thanks 1

It's become a fairly common finish on bakeware, I have a similar finish on some of my silicon baking stuff. such as this 8" flan 'tin'.

20231013_100807.thumb.jpg.378002b7bfa42a49e5735c29dd836e3a.jpg

It does a couple of jobs:
It helps to prevent a 'soggy bottom' on pies, quiches, flans, etc.
It helps to prevent your bake sticking to the baking sheet.
Plus it can leave a more interesting pattern on the bottom of your bake.

It usually needs a scrub with a brush to get into the dimples when cleaning, I should imagine more so with steel/aluminium.

Edited by nukecad
  • Haha 1

Naturally it would be PINK! I love it!

Looks like I'm in the Rip Van Winkle set, but never too late to get current. I can see all the ways it would be beneficial, and now can't wait to upgrade. Not sure I'll find a nice one that you have, but now I know what to look for.

Wow! You just made my morning. 💗

Sorry, it's only pink because that was what was on the shelf when I bought it.

And if there had been one with a plainer bottom I would probably have got that with an eye on how the dimples would clean after use, although that isn't a problem as it turns out.

I often do prefer the old-style stuff, but sometimes you just can't get it, and sometime the new stuff looks interesting. (And can work better).

Silicone bakeware being a case in point.
Rubber? In a red hot oven? Surely it's going to melt?
It turns out that it's very good at solving issues you can have with traditional materials, eg. it's very quick to heat through, you don't need liners because bakes don't stick, etc.
It can have it's own quirks, mainly the flexibility. I almost always use a metal tray under that silicone flan tin whereas a more rigid one could just be lifted in and out of the oven on its own.
And I've mentioned before that my silicone loaf tin is fine for cakes, but the sides are too flexible for making bread and if you try the sides bulge as the bread rises in the oven.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nukecad said:

it's only pink because that was what was on the shelf when I bought it.

I appreciated it because of my affection for pink, doesn't matter what it is. The fact that it WAS pink was a bonus. Silly random things make me happy.

These are good observations for selecting the right item and why. Yes, using  a metal tray under your flan tin is good for support. I would not have thought about that. 

It's curious that the silicone would bulge with bread rising in the oven. I'm not a physicist, but wouldn't the bread expand only upward? Why outward?  Ever since you mentioned it before, I've wondered.

It's good to know the dimples clean up well, I might go for a baking sheet. The one I have is insulated. Do you see any outright advantages to double walled metal vs the dimples?

Over time I've transitioned to all glass for baking. Bye bye metal. That sheet is the only thing I have left.

Edited by NewTricks
typo/grammar

Nice image, that may become a wallpaper on one of my laptops.

Yes bread expands in all directions as the gasses inside expand when baking, so the non-rigid silicone sides bulge out. Cake doesn't rise with the same force so isn't a problem.

I'm not sure about an insulated baking tray/sheet. wouldn't that prevent the heat getting to the base of your bake?

Edit- I see that is advertised as the point, insulated to avoid a burnt bottom. (Ooer missus, wink, wink)

Edited by nukecad