Questions about how virus scanners work, and other security things

Badran

This is in reference to:  KB5034441

The Recovery Partition is too small to allow this update to succeed.  One has to manually expand the size of the disk partition by taking unused space away from the hard disk.  It can be a difficult process for many to do.  Microsoft should  have coded the update do automate the expansion of the Recovery Partition if it is too small OR generate a full message of why the update can not be installed while providing a Web Page with a specific set of instructions to expand the Recovery Partition such as from 350MB to 1.1GB.

Please reference:  Microsoft working on a fix for Windows 10 0x80070643 errors  posted by  @1PW

Edited by David H. Lipman
Edited for content, clarity, spelling and/or grammar

Also meant to ask, but is it normal for windows to display a security notification if a scan hasn’t been done in a while?

I had a yellow exclamation point on the security tray saying that there was actions that needed my attention, and it wanted me to scan I think as I hadn’t done a scan since the 8th of January since I’ve not been on my PC too much.

• 3 weeks later...

It’s been a while, and I forgot to ask this earlier due to being busy.

Will that update error be fixed with tomorrow’s update as it is patch Tuesday.

I saw a script that Microsoft had released, but I didn’t want to use it, since I was worried I’d mess something up.

Also, on the 4th, I installed a Malwarebytes software update, but for some reason under the installed programs, it said it was installed on the third, which doesn’t make sense.

I hope it does. I assume not hiding the update wouldn’t mess up any of those big Windows updates.

I found out that the reason Malwarebytes wasn’t showing up under the recently installed programs was because it wasn’t a version update I think. I also misread when it was installed, which was back at the beginning of January.

Haven’t been on my computer, so I’ve not installed the cumulative update.

Did this newest patch fix that update error?

I never hid the update, so I’m hoping that won’t cause any problems when updating to the newest cumulative update.

Edited by Badran

• 1 month later...

I wonder if it’ll ever be fixed. I should maybe hide it soon too.

I also wanted to inquire if any of the edge/windows updates added any default extensions. I logged on today and gathered some FRST logs, and I noticed that there was an edge extension added titled “Google Docs Offline” when I was skimming through them

i know for a fact I never added it, since I don’t use edge, and have been using Firefox for the past year now. I’ve also not been home much, so I haven’t been using my PC beyond keeping everything up to date.

Maybe it’s Microsoft doing something, I’m not sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Also forgot to ask, but when do sessions on this site expire?

when I last checked my logged in sessions it said my pc had last been active here in February, and then when I accessed the site, I had been logged out.

I assume the session expired due to trying to access the site after a long period of inactivity, but I’m not that sure how this works

• 3 weeks later...

Don’t know if it was due to the previous Malwarebytes update or the latest windows cumulative update, but for some reason my start menu froze/wouldn’t respond a few times.

Wouldve mentioned this earlier but I’ve been pretty offline for a while.

On 4/8/2024 at 9:27 PM, Badran said:

I noticed that there was an edge extension added titled “Google Docs Offline” when I was skimming through them

On 4/8/2024 at 9:27 PM, Badran said:

Maybe it’s Microsoft doing something, I’m not sure.

Importing from Chrome.

4 minutes ago, Badran said:

Don’t know if it was due to the previous Malwarebytes update or the latest windows cumulative update, but for some reason my start menu froze/wouldn’t respond a few times.

Sometimes things are just off a bit after a Windows update especially if the computer gets little use.

Be sure when this is this much time elapsing between these posts you provide a new support tool log as we are not there with you to see anything about what you are seeing.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I maybe should upload logs soon. I’ve updated all my software except my GPU driver so I should maybe get on that soon.

Since the latest update, the reliability monitor has been a bit slower to open, and I’ve been seeing errors for windows update pop up in it, where they say it stopped working.

Start menu experience host has done the same thing too a few times.

for some reason it’s done this three times since the last cumulative update

Hopefully this info doesn’t contain any sensitive data or anything

IMG_1268.jpeg

IMG_1266.jpeg

Edited by Badran