Spring 2023

NewTricks

A fine line to walk sometimes as world views are different. Overall, friendliness, sincerity, authenticity are higher, people return things that are lost and go out of their way to help strangers. IMO

Well, my screen went white again, so I guess that GPU driver was not the problem.

Edited by NewTricks
:-(

Thank you. That was also my choice.

I don't know about you, and your past work, but when it comes to selecting and editing images, sometimes it's really splitting hairs to choose which is best or has the potential for a crop that takes it from mediocre to pretty good. 

Now that I'm into it again, I can make those decisions easier than just a couple weeks ago. 

• Root Admin

Agreed, can often be a chore to decide.

Have seen a magazine behind the scenes show on TV years ago where they took thousands of images at the shoot and had a few people review them at breakneck speeds tossing out most but then saving some aside for "possible" publish.

This was before the digital age we're in now but similar process today of culling

Yes, I've heard of that and it would be pretty awful. I'm pretty sure they had their lowest paid workers doing that. And some bright eyed kid who thought they finally "made it" and wanted to brag about their film experience, got a shot of reality. 

The same thing about animation today. I did see something about that and the sheer volume of each individual frame, ARGH! But that was when Pixar got started and now there are probably algorithms galore to do that. 

I've noticed when doing things with photos, both placing in Invision and editing in IrfanView, if I do it too quickly, the process doesn't happen. I suppose that's normal. It's just a matter of doing it again, slower. 

Good day! All about water. (since it's Thursday, I'll rationalize it as TBT) Now on a 5 day spring countdown.

The Genesee River runs north into Lake Ontario. Fortunately I found a nice perch in the concrete jungle. 

Genesee.jpg

Edited by NewTricks
rearranged text
  • Like 1

The MacGyver video sparked a desire to tell my "origin story."  Academic concentration in ophthalmic photography (later worked in field) member of the Ophthalmic Photographers Society. Certified ophthalmic assistant.

Yeah, magnification was my specialty. ☺️

Edited by NewTricks
Attachment deleted

We have thunderstorms forcast for here tomorrow.

I remember about 15 years ago going out in the evening to capture lightning in the semi-dark.
35mm film, 100 ASA Fujicolor (had a nice magenta tone in night shots), small aperture, lock the shutter open, close and wind-on after each lightning burst.
Hoping to catch a good burst.

And then I thought to myself - 'Are you mad? You are stood in the middle of a field, next to a tall metal tripod, soaking wet in a thunderstorm'. 💥

Still carried on though and got some good photos of the lightning.

PS. I was just looking at 35mm film prices here in the UK. I hadn't realised it had become that expensive.
Of course it's generally only professionals or enthusiasts buying it now, the mass market of holiday/party snappers has gone digital.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nukecad said:

'Are you mad? You are stood in the middle of a field, next to a tall metal tripod, soaking wet in a thunderstorm'. 💥

You know you're still sane when a small rational thought passes through.

Ahhhhh, Fujicolor. 😪Yes, known for their magenta boost. I was a Kodak girl myself, but branched out and liked it. 100 ASA, my numbers as well.

"close and wind" after each burst. Those were the days, my friend.

17 minutes ago, nukecad said:

Still carried on though and got some good photos of the lightning.

Naturally! I don't suppose those have survived your moves and travels, but if so and available, please post. 

Just how expensive it is now? And what brand of film?

Edited by NewTricks
clarity