Google sites and other sites blocked problem is not fixed with update

When I encountered this problem today, the first thing I did was update at 12:23pm Eastern time. It updated to 4.5.14.210.  This did NOT solve the problem. It was not until several hours after this that it started to work. I did NOT update again, because there were no newer updates. So, for everyone that keeps saying the update fixed it, I don't think so. It must have been server side.

3 minutes ago, hpilot said:

I did NOT update again, because there were no newer updates. So, for everyone that keeps saying the update fixed it,

3 minutes ago, hpilot said:

It was not until several hours after this that it started to work.

It took a database update to fix it. Malwarebytes does an auto update each hour unless you have changed that setting to a different interval.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/290483-resolution-of-today’s-web-filtering-issue/

• Like 1

Everyone in ALL of my companies had the same problem at the same time...around 10:00AM CST.    All of the problems stemmed from Malwarebytes blocking outgoing connection 443 pertaining to google.com.   After the update of the Malwarebytes ALL of the companies stopped getting the error.   So, this leads me to believe that Malwarebytes' Engineers had a problem with an update on the 15th of September, 2022.   If this continues we will have no choice but to find another vendor for SpyWare.    I like Malwarebytes but the "buck stops there".

56 minutes ago, vikingjohnny123 said:

So, this leads me to believe that Malwarebytes' Engineers had a problem with an update on the 15th of September, 2022.

This problem started THIS morning with the google issue. If you had an issue since the 15th, it was not related to this.

If you had other issues since the 15th, and you are a business customer,

As a business customer, if you're having issues affecting your business then I would  highly suggest you create a Business Support Ticket

This link is not for Consumer products. Creating a Business Ticket for the Consumer Product will actually take much longer to get a response as it will be re-queued to the back of the line in the Consumer Support area.

Business Support
https://service.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

On 9/21/2022 at 1:07 PM, hpilot said:

When I encountered this problem today, the first thing I did was update at 12:23pm Eastern time. It updated to 4.5.14.210.  This did NOT solve the problem. It was not until several hours after this that it started to work. I did NOT update again, because there were no newer updates. So, for everyone that keeps saying the update fixed it, I don't think so. It must have been server side.

I'm still on 4.5.7 and didn't bother to update, and the situation resolved itself.

Google is trying to undermine your product. I already sent Marcin Kleczynski a snail mail in 2020. Google is trying to control every facet of the law-abiding world!

Notice the 3rd pic. Even Firefox blocked youtube, saying:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during connection to www.youtube.com. SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.

Error code: SSL_ERROR_RX_RECORD_TOO_LONG

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authentication cannot be verified.

54 minutes ago, longbeachlouise said:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during connection to www.youtube.com. SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.

Error code: SSL_ERROR_RX_RECORD_TOO_LONG

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authentication cannot be verified.

That only means the the Browser could not properly authenticate the Site Certificate though the Online Certificate Status Protocol (OCSP) server associated with that certificate.  Nothing more.

Here follows the detection history for September 21st, 2022 for when I was online reverse order by time, or descending, because I scrolled down Malwarebytes detection history app on my desktop. When I saw G was being blocked, I tried gmail and youtube. Lots of those blocks showed up from visiting my regular websites, which have G enabled, like Techmeme.

BlockedDuetoMalware09212022f.thumb.jpg.c01a33c64d72bf4dee88856a9c48136d.jpgBlockedDuetoMalware09212022g.thumb.jpg.ad864c689e883cfc57d4e310d842f121.jpgBlockedDuetoMalware09212022h.thumb.jpg.13d20ecfe4a37d6e44010e20eb28c2bc.jpgBlockedDuetoMalware09212022i.thumb.jpg.c5d98aab8adb2f4b63ad632204c21b2c.jpgBlockedDuetoMalware09212022j.thumb.jpg.3d2c28ea38388cfa959b9a45102d489b.jpgBlockedDuetoMalware09212022k.thumb.jpg.dbffaee40cf0de8cbe4ced9274377d91.jpgBlockedDuetoMalware09212022l.thumb.jpg.eb1d24762ea850c14ab5dafd11f3a20c.jpgBlockedDuetoMalware09212022m.thumb.jpg.15b80120fafa4470296587d9c179234b.jpg

I am thrilled Malwarebytes was doing its job! No complaints for me.

As mentioned by hpilot in the first post, the resolution came from G. I didn't update.

David Lipman, you said:

That only means the the Browser could not properly authenticate the Site Certificate though the Online Certificate Status Protocol (OCSP) server associated with that certificate.  Nothing more.

Can there be an injection via the Site Certificate?

The "record was too long."

It is some kind of injection, right? via the site cert?

12 minutes ago, longbeachlouise said:

As a device to implicate Malwarebytes, G could have substituted fake certs, which timed out the connections/ read as malware, to alarm all the Malwarebytes customers.

If you would of read the first link I posted you would understand.

10 minutes ago, longbeachlouise said:

I have more confidence in Malwarebytes than you do.

Malwarebytes made a big mistake and accidentally blocked everything Google. You do not have to tell Marcin anything. He is fully aware of the mistake.

This morning, you may have experienced an issue with the real-time web filtering component of our product blocking certain domains, including http://google.com. In addition, the Nebula console itself may have experienced slowdowns, as it was dealing with a high volume of alert traffic from the web filter.

Once alerted to the problem, our product team resolved the issue and released an update to our web protection database (version 1.0.60360).

This update is applied during the normal update process, and the issue should automatically resolve. In some cases, updating to the latest database may require temporarily disabling the web filtering feature.

Why did this happen? This morning, during a routine update, an error was introduced into the Malwarebytes web filtering database which caused various domains to be inadvertently blocked. We are performing an exhaustive analysis of our process to ensure an issue of this type does not affect our customers again, and we will be putting in place new procedures as a result.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you and your organization and remain committed to the highest standards of product quality and technical excellence.

Edited by Porthos

BTW, I took the advice and am using uBlock origin since over a year. Works great!

Please accept my apology if I am bad at communicating. I am reading the Sophos article:

https://news.sophos.com/en-us/2021/04/21/nearly-half-of-malware-now-use-tls-to-conceal-communications/

and notice the connection type on the report is "outbound connection." That means something from outside my system is trying to access my PC, right?

the most concerning trend we’ve noted is the use of commercial cloud  and web services as part of malware deployment, command and control. Malware authors’ abuse of legitimate communication platforms gives them the benefit of encrypted communications provided by Google Docs, Discord, Telegram, Pastebin and others—and, in some cases, they also benefit from the “safe” reputation of those platforms.

- quote from the article.

Edited by longbeachlouise

This is the title of this discussion: Google sites and other sites blocked problem is not fixed with update

What happened is from G's end, not Malwarebytes.

And it was solved from G's end.

Not Malwarebytes.

Because I didn't update.

The hpilots who began this thread also said the update is not what fixed it.

Or, am I mistaken? Some components updated, even though I haven't updated to a newer version?

Edited by longbeachlouise

8 minutes ago, longbeachlouise said:

What happened is from G's end, not Malwarebytes.

And it was solved from G's end.

Not Malwarebytes.

Google had nothing to do with the cause or the solution to this event.

9 minutes ago, longbeachlouise said:

Because I didn't update.

Malwarebytes updates the database automatically each hour by default.

It seems you do not wish to understand the issue even that I posted the official announcement from Malwarebytes.

Here is the official announcement topic for you again.