TOSHIBA laptop running slow

Go to solution Solved by Maurice Naggar,

Hello @Jetter  My name is Maurice. I will guide you.
Kindly know that a system being slow does not mean necessarily that there is a malware infection.
The scan by Malwarebytes for Windows reports no malware.
This system has Webroot security. Do you know if pc was recently scanned by Webroot?
Let me know on your next reply.
What follows are what I suggest to do next.

Please  set File Explorer to SHOW ALL folders, all files, including Hidden ones.  Use OPTION ONE or TWO of this article
Please use thuis guide https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7078-turn-off-show-all-folders-windows-10-navigation-pane.html

[ 2 ]

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free Microsoft stand-alone virus scanner that can be used to scan for & remove malware or potentially unwanted software from a system.

The download links & the how-to-run-the tool are at this link at Microsoft 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

Look on Scan Options & select  FULL scan .

Then start the scan. Have lots of patience. Once you start the scan & you see it started, then leave it be.  

• Once you see it has started, take a long long break;  walk away.  Do not pay credence if you see some intermediate early flash messages on screen display.  The only things that count are the End result at the end of the run.
  • Again, any on-screen display about repeat 'infection' is not to be relied on.  Ignore those.
  • We only rely on the end result that is on the log-report-file.

This is likely to run for many hours   ( depending on number of files on your machine & the speed of hardware.)

The log is named MSERT.log  

the log will be at  

Windows\debug\msert.log

Please attach that log with your reply. We will do more later.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Thank you. The MS Safety scanner did not find any actual infection. What follows is a custom script.

Be very sure to Save any work-files you have open at this point. Close & Save any open edits, if any. Next, a custom script to do  checks & some  cleanups. This is really just housekkeping.

We will use FRST64  on the Desktop  folder to run a custom script.    The system will be rebooted after the script has run.

This custom script is for  Jetter  only / for this machine only.

This custom script has some specific things, plus some general aspect to help the system overall.  Hoping it will not exceed 60 minutes in execute time.

NOTE-1:  This script will  run a scan using System File Checker to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files. .  It will rebuild the Winsock. 

NOTE-2: It will remove proxy settings.

NOTE-3: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications will be automatically closed. 

The following directories are emptied:

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome,  and Opera  & BRAVE caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Flash Player cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

•  
  • Please be sure to Close any open work files, documents,  any apps you started yourself  before starting this.

• If there are any CD / DVD / or USB-flash-thumb or USB-storage drives attached,  please disconnect any of those.
  • Please save the (attached file named) FIXLIST.txt   to the   Desktop   folder

Fixlist.txt           <<< - - - - -

Then, Start the Windows Explorer and then, go  to the Desktop   folder.

RIGHT click on FRST64    and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run.
  to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

• IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......

click line More info information on that screen
               and click button Run anyway on next screen.

• on the FRST window:

Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

frst-fix.jpg.f6a25291b39a03d418acc9a3b7136900.jpg

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. 
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity.

It seems pretty good for the most part.  Not quite as snappy as my own device but, then again, I paid for an i7 and he only paid for an i3 so maybe that makes a difference.  One thing that I have noticed since the fix though is that it keeps dropping the internet connection to my router which is only about 12 feet away while my own laptop is a couple of feet further and never drops the connection.  Also, getting pop up alerts now that some of his yahoo stuff is not up to date.  Something that he can just update on his own now I presume.

• Solution

Lets run 1 scan, plus one other report. Let's do one scan with Malwarebytes Adwcleaner to check for adwares. Just before pressing that "scan" button, be sure that Chrome & Edge, or other web browser are Closed.

It will not take much time,

First download & save it

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038520054-Download-and-install-Malwarebytes-AdwCleaner

• Then be sure to close all web browsers.
  • Then go to where the EXE file is saved. Start Adwcleaner.  Then do a scan with Adwcleaner

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038520114-Malwarebytes-AdwCleaner-scan-and-clean

Attach the clean log.

[   2    ] 

I would recommend getting a readout report as to update the status of some key apps.

• and save the tool on the desktop.
  • If Windows's  SmartScreen block that with a message-window, then
  • Click on the MORE INFO spot and over-ride that and allow it to proceed.

This tool is safe.   Smartscreen is overly sensitive.

Right-click  with your mouse on the Securitycheck.exe  and select "Run as administrator"   and reply YES to allow to run & go forward
Wait for the scan to finish. It will open in a text file named SecurityType.txt. Close the file.  Attach it with your next reply.
You can find this file in a folder called SecurityCheck, C:\SecurityCheck\SecurityCheck.txt

Hello. Glad to read of the renewed pep. Per SecurityCheck, there are a few apps that need to be updated for the latest updates. 
TeamViewer 14 v.14.2.2558   Warning! Download Update

Java 8 Update 151 (64-bit) v.8.0.1510.12   Warning! Download Update
Uninstall old version and install new one (jre-8u321-windows-x64.exe).

Java 8 Update 151 v.8.0.1510.12   Warning! Download Update
Uninstall old version and install new one (jre-8u321-windows-i586.exe).

Spotify v.1.0.5.186.ga9c24d6a   Warning! Download Update

I believe that this system is good to go. 

:D This is the all clear for this case. This next tool is to cleanup the tools we used during this case. What follows is just a tools cleanup. 

Please download KpRm by kernel-panik and save it to your desktop.

• right-click kprm_(version).exe and select Run as Administrator.
  • Read and accept the disclaimer.
  • When the tool opens, ensure all boxes under Actions are checked.
  • Under Delete Quarantines select Delete Now, then click Run.
  • Once complete, click OK.
  • A log may open in Notepad titled kprm-(date).txt.  I do not need it. Just close Notepad if it shows up.

Consider using PatchMyPC, keep all your software up-to-date - https://patchmypc.com/home-updater#download

• Like 1

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following to help you better protect your computer and privacy Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you