Too many request pop-ups for permission this week

Pkshadow
Go to solution Solved by gatortail,

Hi, so a short explanation of why I would want to allow MBAM or any other program/extension to talk to another which is the permission wanted that your/is shown ?

As well what programs does it want to talk to.  Serious privacy issues that are not explained.  If to get rid of the warnings and to have to allow what it wants means = I pull it out.

I have I have had Browser Guard set to no talking to other programs and to show duplicate warnings since it came out with no problems. or since that was added to the GUI, why now is this issue no presenting it self ?

Edited by Pkshadow
  • Staff

Apologies, we hope to release a fix for this issue on Wednesday or Thursday.

Browser extensions are sandboxed to the browser they run on.  There is no ability to see other processes running, the file structure, registery, etc.  This permission is to alleviate a specific situation where a suspected malicious website could cause a duplicate block message from both Browser Guard and Malwarebytes Premium, if both are running.  Problem is due to the sandbox neither product can see the other without this permission.  The permission is limited to these two specific products and all it allows is the prevention of the duplicate block messages.

Please see https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500008507402-Manage-website-warnings-in-Malwarebytes-Browser-Guard for more information. 

Hi, ok. Thanks.

Now a question/observation of use. (move if need to)   During prior (previous versions) use I have found that the Extension has caught sites that Malwarebytes itself did not catch.

Has the Extension been tightly woven to the full product now and will this catching of sites be ??? as I mentioned being independent it caught more than the full program so am slightly worried about performance now.

I also denied the request of the Extension to hide duplicate warnings.  Will this then perform as above and independent from the main program. ??  With the main program not catching stuff that the extension did I feel that integration is not in best interest of users.

Hope follow that train of thought and explanation/observation.

• Staff

Malwarebytes Browser Guard is a browser extension and as such it executes in your browser.  This gives it certain advantages to find malicious activities as they execute in your browser.  It is also sandboxed to the browser so it can not see anything else on the device.

Malwarebytes Premium runs on your device.  This gives it the advantage of seeing malicious activities that occur outside of your browser, like email for example.

Both products have some overlapped capabilites and those are the ones that can produce a duplicate block from each product.  It is only for these duplicated blocks that we're intervening.  We're simply trying to simplify the customer experience.  Hiding the duplicate warnings does not introduce any holes that can be exploited, but if you're concerned you can allow the duplicate warnings as you've done.

The superset of both products provides the most complete protection from malcious actors.