[ RESOLVED ] Slow Internet on NIC card

Go to solution Solved by bosstoad,

On a 1gig line I find that using Ookla Speedtest , the Speed using the NIC card is 200mb slower than using a USB to Ethernet dongle i.e, 640mb vs 440mb. I am using Malwarebyes Premium 4.5.0.  ( This is in a location away from the router in my house hence less than 1 gig.)

If I disable Malwarebytes, the problem goes away.

Is anyone else experiencing this and if so do you have a solution please.

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

1 hour ago, bosstoad said:

If I disable Malwarebytes, the problem goes away.

Is anyone else experiencing this and if so do you have a solution please.

, Please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thanks

I am not using Privacy / VPN. The comparison is between the NIC built in to my Dell laptop and a Usb to Ethernet Dongle. I don't test the speed using wireless for this comparison. My expectation was that the NIC would give a slightly faster speed than the USB to Ethernet dongle but it was the opposite with the Dongle being the faster.Once the issue was highlighted to me by Dell I tried turning off Malwarebytes and the speed with the NIC increased dramatically.

Thank you for your interest.

1 minute ago, bosstoad said:

I am not using Privacy / VPN.

Your log shows it installed, licensed and on.

Malwarebytes Privacy Version Information
========================================
Controllers Version:     1.0.0
Database Version:        2016.01.01.1
Update Pkg Version:      1.0.0
Installer Version:       2.2.0
Installation Token:      u_KJjs6VVMNPEPsyf_ra1601951317
Machine ID:              d71616d84abf3688840b8a9a5d16f5afd26e962e
Machine ID (MBST):       d71616d84abf3688840b8a9a5d16f5afd26e962e
License State:           licensed
Trial Used:              False
Installation Date:       12/09/2020
Version Installed:       Malwarebytes Privacy version 2.2.0.459
Installation Directory:  C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Privacy\

18 minutes ago, bosstoad said:

My expectation was that the NIC would give a slightly faster speed than the USB to Ethernet dongle

As a test turn off just web protection not the entire program.

Also I want to mention the chipsets of the internal Nic and the dongle are different and Dell uses the "Rivet" now owned by intel drivers that have a mixed history with Malwarebytes software.

• Root Admin

Can you please do the following?

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • In the Advanced Options, click the CLEAN button and follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall Malwarebytes
  • NOTE: Please have patience as it can take a while to remove and reinstall. The computer will restart to complete

After the restart please do the following

• In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Let me know if the issue still remains or not.

Thanks @bosstoad

I followed your advice and have completed a full set of tests which are attached. My conclusion now is that the Issue is not to do with Malwarebytes. Talking to Dell they suggested that it was due to Programs Starting up at Startup since I get a decent result when running in Safe Mode and that I may have to start again with a Clean windows installation. The system came with Windows 10 pro and I took advantage of the Windows 11 upgrade a couple of months ago. Maybe it's Windows 11 that is the problem. Thank you and Porthos for your helpful suggestions. I now have to ponder my options .

Speedtest Results for Malwarebytes.xlsx

18 minutes ago, bosstoad said:

The system came with Windows 10 pro and I took advantage of the Windows 11 upgrade a couple of months ago.

I would try a clean install of 11 (if you are capable) and let MS fill in the drivers and then test. Also, Did you do any testing like this before upgrading to 11?

Edited by Porthos

Thanks for the suggestion but no testing done before Windows 11. The issue started when I found about 2 months ago that the Virgin Media Fibre line (at the Golf Club that I help out with my limited IT knowledge) which should be running at 500 mb was apparently not up to speed. Virgin say that you need to test the Hitron modem by a direct ethernet connection, hence I used the NIC with IP / DNS details loaded rather than getting the address from DHCP. Eventually after several visits by Virgin Engineers, on Tuesday I got a really switched on guy who made some changes and showed that the line WAS running at 500 mb which i checked using another Dell desktop machine. I then followed up with a call to Dell suspecting hardware faults with my laptop. They changed the motherboard but the symptoms persisted. A second call to Dell finished with running in Safe Mode which gave a reasonable speed, I could not do comparative tests in Safe Mode as the Dongle would not work.

The NIC is indeed Rivet.

It strikes me that Speedtest is not such a good tool as the results vary widely but I guess it's the best we have.

Thanks again for your interest.

8 minutes ago, bosstoad said:

It strikes me that Speedtest is not such a good tool as the results vary widely but I guess it's the best we have.

I use the app from the Windows store to avoid any browser differences. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/speedtest-by-ookla/9nblggh4z1jc#activetab=pivot:overviewtab

I actually  get what I am paying for. But it can fluctuate.

image.png.e5bf5e958f25441d1aa757ac886d72f2.png

image.png.b6067e15e13ff4f05ce4c1102ea3e8f4.png

Edited by Porthos