Optiplex 9020 Bios Update potential false positive

Lesyk009

Trying to update the Bios on a Dell Optiplex 9020 (link to bios download page https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/optiplex-9020-desktop/drivers ) and it is getting blocked and reported by malwarebytes as an exploit, see below. This looks to be a false positive to me but I wanted to post here to be sure there isnt a vulnerability in the installer. 

image.png.68c7c545b3da2c535bc2508e64de8f19.png

Doesn't look like I can update the BIOS any other way. Their Support Assistant tool seems to use the same installer, cause I just got the same alert while using that tool to update. I'll have to reach out to dell, unless someone else knows a way fo installing without using the bdutil. 

9 minutes ago, Lesyk009 said:

BIOS is rather out of date

The most current bios is from 2019. Also will be the last dell will issue for that dinosaur.

I do not know if this will work or recommended, If I had that computer on my bench, I would disable MB temporarily, install the bios update and after the restart scan with MB to see if it finds the driver in question.

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Lesyk009 said:

find a different solution to patching this thing

Updating the BIOS from DOS (Non-Windows users)

Note 1: Before updating the BIOS, ensure that you suspend BitLocker encryption on a BitLocker-enabled system. If BitLocker is not enabled on your system, you can ignore this step.
Note 2: Do not turn off power or interrupt the BIOS update process during the update.

Installation
Note: You must provide a bootable USB drive. This executable file does not create the DOS system files.
1. Copy the downloaded file to a bootable USB drive.
2. Power on the system and then Press the F12 key.
3. Select USB Storage Device and boot to the DOS prompt.
4. Run the file by typing following command. For example:
C:\ 9020A25.exe
Where C is the drive letter of the USB device where the executable file is located and 9020A25.exe is the name of the downloaded file.
The system restarts automatically and updates the BIOS at the system startup screen. After the BIOS update is complete, system restarts again.

Updating the BIOS from DOS with UEFI boot mode enabled (Non-Windows users, Load Legacy Option Disabled)

Note 1: Before updating the BIOS, ensure that you suspend BitLocker encryption on a BitLocker-enabled system. If BitLocker is not enabled on your system, you can ignore this step.
Note 2: Do not turn off the power or interrupt the BIOS update process during the update.

Installation
1. Copy the downloaded file to a bootable DOS USB drive.
2. Power on the system and then go to BIOS Setup by pressing the F2 key.
3. Go to General > Boot Sequence > Boot > Boot List Option.
4. Change UEFI to Legacy of Boot List Option.
5. Go to Exit > Save Changes and reboot system.
6. Press F12 and then select USB Storage Device and boot to the DOS prompt.
7. Run the file by typing the file name.
The system restarts automatically and updates the BIOS at the system startup screen. After the BIOS update is complete, the system restarts again.
8. Go to BIOS Setup by pressing the F2 key and go to General > Boot Sequence > Boot > Boot List Option.
9. Change Legacy to UEFI Boot Option.
10. Go to Exit > Save Changes and reboot the system.

• Staff

You can safely install the update from this.

1. disable malwarebytes.

2. download the bios update.

3. disconnect from network/internet.

4. install bios update.

after back in windows then run a mbam scan and remove the dell driver. Its only needed to install the update and can be safely deleted after the update is done. 

• Thanks 1