System Resources

Our Windows Server locks up every night at 2:15 am.  Virtually no users, not other processes running EXCEPT Malwarebytes.  I just kicked off a scan and watched MB suck up all the memory in the system, knocking down everything.   I got kicked off RDP, etc.   Can you please fix this or limit the resources that MB consumes during its scan.

image.png.2f326864b9226dbc5d0bb19742542d7e.png

I am sorry to inform you that Malwarebytes Premium (stand alone) is not supported on any server OS and is also against the EULA as well.

(b) Paid License.

If you purchased a license to the Software from Malwarebytes or from a Malwarebytes authorized reseller, then conditioned upon your compliance with the terms and conditions of this Agreement, Malwarebytes grants you a non-exclusive and non-transferable license to Execute the number of copies of the Software for which you have paid solely in executable form on the corresponding number of Devices owned or used by you. Furthermore, you may not Execute the Software on any Device(s) running a server operating system unless it is a Malwarebytes server product as reflected in its official product name and official release notes. You agree that your purchases are not contingent on the delivery of any future functionality or features (including future availability of any Software beyond the current license term or any new releases), or dependent on any oral or written public comments made by Malwarebytes regarding future functionality or features.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/eula/

The proper version is this. https://www.malwarebytes.com/business/ep-server-security/

Funny, this product was recommended by our security consultant to run on the server.  We bought individual licenses for each server that it is running on.  Again, recommended.

There was no ELU presented or anything when I purchased and downloaded the current version.  There is no complaints that this was not a server version.

So I pay the increased price -- what would suggest that you are not going to chew up memory like the current product does?

You purchased the Consumer Home version. I suggest contacting sales and get a trial of the server offering.

10 hours ago, MarkLandmann said:

I just kicked off a scan and watched MB suck up all the memory in the system, knocking down everything.

Assuming this was a manual scan, MB Consumer is designed to use max CPU to complete the scan as fast as possible. Also if you chose a full custom scan, that can take hours even more if you enable rootkit scanning.

Servers are not meant to be used as workstations (running browsers, installing software from god knows where etc.). Not saying you use them that way. The server versions are different in how they protect.

As for the current ram usage, the home version uses about 250mb in the background when not scanning.

• Root Admin

Hello @MarkLandmann

Yes, the proper product should be Malwarebytes Endpoint Protection however I wouldn't expect the Consumer version to be causing an issue like that either, it's simply not supported is the issue. But we'd like to make sure something else isn't going on with your system to cause an issue either.

Can we please get some logs to review further?

To begin, please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained are safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thank you

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated information