After install...CRASH, & unable to BOOT OR REPAIR BOOT?????

Never had any problems AT ALL on 2 month old win10 pro.  From working in IT after 20yrs I became impressed with malwarebytes protection compared to my OLD standby "symantec".  

But will all GOOD things comes a bit of PAIN!  I do like malwarebytes and in fact purchased a 3 license subscription.  It was actually the very day that my premium trial expired that I found my pc OFF & DEAD.. Meaning it had crashed apparently.  BUT an issue I've never had before was  that NONE of win10's REPAIR solutions are able to RESOLVE.     After 8 hours and subsequent boots via boot disc I my THIRD system restore to WORK..  saying in worked isn't exactly accurate.  It said it FAILED, yet it let me get to logon screen for 1st time.

upon login I checked "event log" and this is WAYYYYYYYY beyond my paygrade.  I'm retired now.   I can talk about Win 2000 SERVER, but win10 not so much. :( 

Pls help.  obviously related malwarebytes software.

thnx

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

I'm sorry the software isn't working properly but we'll do our best to help.

To begin, Please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thanks

22 minutes ago, flexer said:

Pls help.  obviously related malwarebytes software.

Thanks for your response.  I have done as you asked already and also created a ticket although I don't know how that process works?

Here are the attached logs you requested. actually.. the tool said it put the log on my desktop, but IT is not there???? 

Okay, I found the log file.  I have a feeling that "SOME" of the issues I'm having are related to following issue.. Apparently I have TWO desktops as well as docs, downloads etc locations for SAME login.  What occurred was that initially I created a Microsoft Account & then afterwards changed it to a LOCAL only account.  This should be possible but causes occasional problems. Not as severe as recent crash and no booting, but clearly a problem that may have been magnified after installing Malwarebytes as it probably did not like the conflicting SIDS???  (I'm just guessing here.. Trying to give as much info as possible!

mbst-grab-results.zip

thank you.

Is this the "best" way to obtain tech support??  Is there any more intensive hands on process, because reinstalling windows or performing a REFRESH is the LAST thing I want to do..mbst-grab-results.zip

• Root Admin

Hello @flexer

I don't see an obvious infection but I do see in the logs that you may have multiple hard drive failures or a controller failure.

System errors:
=============
Error: (08/31/2021 10:14:42 AM) (Source: disk) (EventID: 11) (User: )
Description: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk13\DR17.

Error: (08/31/2021 09:59:41 AM) (Source: disk) (EventID: 11) (User: )
Description: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk13\DR16.

Error: (08/30/2021 10:49:02 PM) (Source: disk) (EventID: 11) (User: )
Description: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk13\DR15.

I would suspect that one or more of these is your issue.

2 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello @flexer

I don't see an obvious infection but I do see in the logs that you may have multiple hard drive failures or a controller failure.

System errors:
=============

This STARTED immediately after I was able to get BACK in to my system... don't worry too much about the drives.. I unplugged EVERYTHING to get booted and now system doesn't like externals after plugging back in..  I've got about 20-25 external hard drives plugged in.. via powered hubs.. most are last 20 years of my dvds and various system images..  There are always some problematic drives which are on their last leg..  I have TEN seagate 3TB BRICKS!!   10 identical DEAD DRIVES.. guess it was a bad defect when they broke the 2TB barrier using GPT rather than MFT.    i've still got 2 or 3 left which i'm trying to backup SLOWLY...over months as too much stress causes them to fail.

Be that as it may.. these drives Ive had running for over 10 years and NEVER caused a problem with my OS like im having now.  If you said it was an internal drive in the machine that'd be different.. but these external flaky drives have ALWAYS been this way.. that isn't my problem.

thnx for looking tho... pls continue!

mbst-grab-results.zip

btw- the failure was on the 28th. So all the problems to look at would be on the 28th & 29th.

44 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello @flexer

System errors:
=============

*********SORRY************

Those errors are completely erroneous.  Today I had stuck an SDcard in my pc to format for my mothers tablet.  It is THAT sdcard which is harddisk13.   Normally that isn't even there.  Although those errors on the sdcard are interesting..which is why i stuck it in to check it..  but absolutely unrelated to my issues..

In the meantime.. do you mind if I attach a LOG I ran on my other pc which is WIN7.  I would've stayed with it instead of getting a new workstation but it was crashing daily.. memory overruns or heap error I think?

I will attach the log I ran on THAT PC here..  Since i use all the same software, programs, devices, etc.. whatever problems on my win7 pc are likely to be a hint towards my win10 problems?

ps. plan to use 3rd license on my S20 ultra.  What im curious about is HOW can you identify all malware?  what about the malware which can be installed which supposedly doesn't APPEAR anywhere in any scans?  How about possibly OR 'supposedly' legitimate processes doing things they SHOULDN'T like privacy violations..  HOW much of my data has been EXPOSED already BEFORE the recent changes to the ANDROID/DATA folder on internal & external drive??   I can't even access my OWN data I had in those program folders now but for the previous 10 years apparently EVERY app has had access to ALL my private DATA?????    Isn't it too late now????

btw- 1 way to get your lost data android locked you out of in the ANDROID/DATA paths in internal or external is to,  RENAME the data folder to anything.. once you rename the folder you regain full access and can move anywhere you like... BUT.. be warned you will also be removing the data from that location so existing apps may not find it as expected.  Personally i'd prefer to have access to my data before being BLINDSIDED!!!

mbst-grab-results win7 enterprise.zip

• Root Admin

Good day @flexer

Regarding your Windows 10 computer. Can you please explain what issue you're specifically having. The Event Logs are not showing anything obvious to cause a real problem.

There are no Events logged for a severe fault, or crash

Are you sure that maybe Norton Antivirus or Malwarebytes is not possibly conflicting with each other? What if you temporarily disable them?

I'll take a look at your other log for the Windows 7 machine in a moment.

• Root Admin

Same thing on the Windows 7 computer. No specific malware, but if it were my own personal computer I remove and cleanup a lot stuff that I wouldn't run on my own computer.

Platform: Windows 7 Enterprise Service Pack 1 (X64) Language: English (United States)

The Enterprise edition was never sold to home users and requires a server on the domain that it can check into periodically to validate licensing. This cannot be achieved at home so this version of Windows has to have some type of crack to bypass licensing.

Error: (09/01/2021 03:30:18 AM) (Source: Software Protection Platform Service) (EventID: 8193) (User: )
Description: License Activation Scheduler (sppuinotify.dll) failed with the following error code:
0x80070005

In both cases for your computers. I would probably start with a Clean Boot and see how they ran. If they run much better then I'd start clean up by removing most if not all auto start up items and uninstall any programs no longer used.

Then run the following commands from an elevated admin command prompt on Windows 10

SFC /SCANNOW

and this one

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Clean up all the temp files and folders.

Then run at least a basic disk check on the OS drive.

ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /F

Let me know what's going on and your thoughts @flexer

Thanks

I, I Kirk,

thnx 4 response.. I'll answer some of ur concerns out of respect first.  Reason for Enterprise Ed. is that I worked for 10 years as CIO of 3 publicly traded corps.  That said, most of those licenses from Small business Server 2000, Exchange, Terminal Server, all the addons, 50 licenses, Symantec Raptor, Veritas backup, VMWARE, &  some other I can't remember aren't for win7.  But as u know you can't do ur job without without various test workstations at home to try b4 implementation..  Can't remember who gave me Enterp 7, but I'd used it for soooooo long its become "ATTACHED" to me! lol                

TBH, I am no longer currently having issues. By time I could post here I fixed issues myself.  BUT. that isn't okay with me.  It's possible there were conflicts with my existing norton360. (old habits die hard)  When I intially installed malwarebytes is was blocking bad urls EVERY 2 seconds!!!  Altho I believe that was from qbittorrent connects not browser.     I REALLY like malwarebytes protection methods..which is why I bought.,..  BUT if it's gonna cause an unstable system it's a no go.  

In 25 YEARS of working as a CIO and my own pcs, I've NEVER experienced a total mysterious crash that I couldn't BOOT!!  Never!   And this DID happen on 8/28.  Coincidentally that was also the very day the TRIAL expired?????

Came to my pc that runs 24x7 and it was OFF???  Tried to reboot several times and spun on BIOS screen for approx 2mins. and then went total BLACK every time.. So im a bit concerned..  used a boot disk to get to windows boot repair options... ALL FAILED!!  repeatedly....  By using BartPE of 1 of those I was able to get to the RESTORE option...  thought i was saved... but after sitting for an hour watching restore I went to sleep.. In am it said restore FAILED!

But we don't give up... So I get back to restore again and try the restore PRIOR to install of malwarebytes...  BOOM.. successful!!!   So the fact its running fine now doesn't make me feel very secure, because this will likely happen again..

The ONLY other thing I can think of I changed in malwarebytes was in the EXPLOIT screen.  after I saw advise not to edit I reset immediately, but left maybe 2 settings.  I believe I restricted java from running in browser or unrequested????   the only helpful thing is probably the event logs from 27th & 28th.  My days of troubleshooting that crap has passed.  I wish I could get someone to look at them..  Is this possible???

ps. I KNOW its easiest to start over or refresh windows.. that's easy.. it's reconfiguring and installing everything to my liking that would  take 100's of hours I want to avoid..  Years ago I DID keep IMAGES of my system like we ALL should..  But that's when barebones image restores worked with proper bare metal feature.   I noticed that stopped working more and more & my only images are of machines from over 10 years ago!!!! lol  (never had to use. Today can't even get them to boot in a VM???)  

And so Im looking towards the NEW pros as I have gotten behind. :(

• Root Admin

Yes, as said. The recommendations at this point are:

Uninstall any old software you no longer use
Clean temp folders

Ensure you do have good image backup of current systems. Macrium Reflect is probably the best free program for that today.

Backup Software
https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/136226-backup-software

Is there anything else I can assist you with at this time?

Thanks  @flexer