MB Free v4.2.1.89 - Problem Updating to Component Package v1.0.1070

Has anyone else had trouble installing the latest Component Package v1.0.1070 (rel. 14-Oct-2020) after running a manual check for updates at Settings | General | Application Updates | Check for Updates?

I don't know if this is related to the problem pal1000 reported on 14-Oct-2020 in Sometimes Check for Updates UI Buttons Do Nothing (I think pal1000 uses MB Premium) but I noticed a similar issue when I tried to run a manual update check to install the latest Component Package v1.0.1070 on 14-Oct-2020.  It took me three attempts at Settings | General | Application Updates | Check for Updates before I was finally prompted to restart Malwarebytes to finish the update and could see the version number of the Component Package had changed from v1.0.1061 to v1.0.1070 at Settings | About.

During the first two update attempts the progress bar for the installer appeared to show files were being downloaded but I was never prompted to restart Malwarebytes to complete the installation, and Settings | About showed I still had Component Package v1.0.1061.  Manually opening and closing the interface didn't complete the update, and I believe I also tried shutting down (quitting) the program and relaunching. I did not try a shutdown/restart of my Win 10 OS.  I waited for about 30 minutes and the manual update to Component Package v1.0.1070 eventually ran to completion on the third try.

Note that this manual update problem occurred on a fresh install of Malwarebytes Free v4.2.1.89-1-0-1061 that was installed on 05-Oct-2020.  Win 10 Fast Startup is disabled and I created mutual scan exclusions in both Malwarebytes and Windows Defender on 07-Oct-2020.

mbst-grab-results.zip

-------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v1909 build 18363.1082 * Firefox 81.0.2 * Windows Defender 4.18.2009.7 * Malwarebytes Free v4.2.1.89-1.0.1070
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U@1.60/1.80 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

1 hour ago, lmacri said:

Has anyone else had trouble installing the latest Component Package v1.0.1070 (rel. 14-Oct-2020) after running a manual check for updates at Settings | General | Application Updates | Check for Updates?

It is possible that the update has been turned off due to a few issues being reported like network scanners, NAS drive's being blocked by the web protection. I do NOT know for sure. It is a guess.

If you do not wish to wait, you can use the offline installer and run it over your current install

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

It is possible that the update has been turned off ... If you do not wish to wait, you can use the offline installer and run it over your current install

Hi Porthos:

As I said in my original post, I was able to install the latest Component Package v1.0.1070 on 14-Oct-2020, but I had to click Settings | General | Application Updates | Check for Updates multiple times (and quit/restart Malwarebytes) before it installed properly.  If no one else had problems installing Component Package v1.0.1070 then I'll just wait until the next product update is released and will perform a clean reinstall if the problem persists.

I'm just wondering if there's a glitch with the built-in updater.  I read pal1000's 14-Oct-2020 thread Sometimes Check for Updates UI Buttons Do Nothing, and Doctor9fan also stated <here> in that same thread that they cannot download product updates if they click Check for Updates immediately after a new Update Package version is installed.  That doesn't sound like intended behaviour to me, unless I misunderstood their posts and that "threat intelligence updates" in MB Premium are completely different from the Update Package (malware database / virus definition set) in MB Free.
------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v1909 build 18363.1082 * Firefox 81.0.2 * Windows Defender 4.18.2009.7 * Malwarebytes Free v4.2.1.89-1.0.1070
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U@1.60/1.80 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

Edited by lmacri

• Root Admin

There are timing issues and the local CDN in your region has to have the update. Then there is scaling that can be a bit more complex where it's possible you may not get an update right away.

Generally speaking though most people should be able to check for and get program updates manually within 24 hours, with most users being able to get them almost immediately once announced.

Correct, "threat intelligence updates" are not the same as Program Updates. One can disable program update checks and still get "threat intelligence updates"

On 10/18/2020 at 8:23 AM, lmacri said:

... During the first two update attempts the progress bar for the installer appeared to show files were being downloaded but I was never prompted to restart Malwarebytes to complete the installation...

13 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

There are timing issues and the local CDN in your region has to have the update. Then there is scaling that can be a bit more complex where it's possible you may not get an update right away....

Hi AdvancedSetup:

If the CDN in my region didn't have the update for Component Package v1.0.1070 on 14-Oct-2020 wouldn't it have just reported there were no updates available when I clicked Settings | General | Application Updates | Check for Updates?  According to the update checker's progress bar I had a large download on my first and third update attempts so I don't know what it was trying to download on that first update attempt unless I needed a full update for my Update Package (malware database) that took precedence over the Component Package v1.0.1070 update.

That might be what happened, but it's a bit hard to figure out since my mbupdatr.log file (attached) shows my Component Package v1.0.1070 update started at 2020-10-14T21:03:59-05:00 [i.e., at 14-Oct-2020 at 9:03:59 PM my local time after a 5 hour correction for my Central Daylight Time (GMT-5) time zone] while my dbupate.log file (attached) shows a full Update Package (malware database v1.0.31356) was delivered at 2020-10-15T01:58:13Z (14-Oct-2020 at 8:58:13 PM local time?) that was followed by an incremental update (malware database v1.0.31358) at 2020-10-15T01:59:42Z (14-Oct-2020 at 8:59:42 PM local time?).

mbupdatr.log

dbupdate.log

No worries, though, since I was eventually able to install Component Package v1.0.1070.  I just didn't want to post in pal1000's thread Sometimes Check for Updates UI Buttons Do Nothing since the MB Premium users in that thread are reporting a variety of issues (including scheduled scans that don't run for 1-2 days) after a new Update Package (malware database) is delivered.
------------

Edited by lmacri
Added version numbers for Update Package (malware database) updates