[ RESOLVED ] Stop Update Prompts (Again)

Greetings,

There are 2 options that control program updates; you should disable both and delete the file and that should stop the alerts:

1679610387_DisableUpdates.png.937ed1462ffff0e85a8ed8e90614e5b4.png

If you're still running v3, please refer to the info in this support article.

If you still get alerts, please do the following so that we may take a look and try to determine what's causing the alerts to persist:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks

3 minutes ago, exile360 said:

Greetings,

There are 2 options that control program updates; you should disable both and delete the file and that should stop the alerts:

1679610387_DisableUpdates.png.937ed1462ffff0e85a8ed8e90614e5b4.png

If you're still running v3, please refer to the info in this support article.

If you still get alerts, please do the following so that we may take a look and try to determine what's causing the alerts to persist:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks

I'm guessing you didn't read the last thread.  Unless MBAM changed something those settings have no effect.  I have them both off and I still get prompts so I will say that they still don't work properly.  There was a workaround to delete a file that worked last time but now seems to have been closed.

Edited by bru

They only work if the file doesn't already exist for the new version, unfortunately (yes, I read the thread and I was one of the individuals who helped discover the original procedure for eliminating the prompts when users first encountered the issue which lead to the creation of the support article for v3 that exists in the Malwarebytes knowledgebase).

If you disabled both options, quit Malwarebytes, deleted the file and are still getting the alerts then there is either an entry in the registry or one of Malwarebytes' configuration files still forcing the upgrade prompt.  The diagnostic logs I requested should hopefully show us where it is.

1 minute ago, exile360 said:

They only work if the file doesn't already exist for the new version, unfortunately (yes, I read the thread and I was one of the individuals who helped discover the original procedure for eliminating the prompts when users first encountered the issue which lead to the creation of the support article for v3 that exists in the Malwarebytes knowledgebase).

If you disabled both options, quit Malwarebytes, deleted the file and are still getting the alerts then there is either an entry in the registry or one of Malwarebytes' configuration files still forcing the upgrade prompt.  The diagnostic logs I requested should hopefully show us where it is.

Last time I was able to delete the file that had obviously already been created.  This time it didn't work.  Or at least I think it didn't.  I will mess around some more.  I do have to wonder why MBAM felt it necessary to force us to update from 4.2.0 to 4.2.1?

Malwarebytes always tries to get the latest version, as do all security apps, since each new version includes enhancements to protection and the further out of date a version becomes, the more threats it will be incapable of detecting.  This is because each new version typically includes enhancements and new signature types which are not backwards compatible with older releases.  This also means that even though the databases may be fully up to date, an older build will be likely to miss many threats that would otherwise be detected by the latest version.

The trick to this issue usually comes down to timing; if the program has time to download the new version, that installer existing on disk tells it that a new version is awaiting installation and the prompts begin.  Backing out of that situation is tricky unfortunately, and requires some additional steps to eliminate it.

I know you already know this, but just for anyone else with this issue, the file in question is located in the following folder:

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\instlrupdate

If an installer exists in that folder and you don't want to upgrade to the new version, Malwarebytes needs to be terminated by right-clicking the Malwarebytes tray icon and selecting Quit Malwarebytes, then the file in that folder needs to be deleted or moved from that location so that the program doesn't see the installer there.

In the past there was also a registry value that controlled whether or not Malwarebytes had a pending update to install, however the value does not appear to exist for v4 (at least I couldn't locate it), so if the issue still persists after deleting the above file with both of the aforementioned options in Malwarebytes disabled for application updates, then there may be some other setting or configuration option within one of Malwarebytes' configuration files causing the update prompts to persist.

At this point if you've already done all of this (which it appears you have), I would suggest trying to reset the configuration files and going through the process of disabling the options once more to see if that fixes it.  To do so, open Malwarebytes and go to settings and under the General tab, scroll to the bottom and click the Restore default settings button, then toggle the two options under Application updates to the Off position again and hopefully that will stop the update attempts and notifications by the application.

Please let us know if it works or not.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

Good to see that MBAM continues to reset itself or just plain doesn't work when it comes to not giving me a pop up that there is a new update available.  YES I have everything checked or not checked correct yet I still get a pop up.  I am convinced that this program is malware at this point.

39 minutes ago, bru said:

Good to see that MBAM continues to reset itself or just plain doesn't work when it comes to not giving me a pop up that there is a new update available.  YES I have everything checked or not checked correct yet I still get a pop up.  I am convinced that this program is malware at this point.

You were asked to provide logs back in November and you failed to do so. Please follow up in that topic. I will be closing this one.