Drinking alcohol every day can speed up brain aging by one week per session

sman

Drinking alcohol every day can speed up brain aging by one week per session, according to a study of more than 17,000 people

https://www.insider.com/alcohol-every-day-ages-your-brain-quicker-17000-brain-scans-2020-1

Researchers at the University of Southern California looked at more than 17,000 brain scans to see if daily smoking and drinking advanced brain age. 

The study found that every gram of alcohol consumed a day aged the brain by 11 days. Smoking a pack of cigarettes a day for a year aged the brain by 11 days.

It is one of the largest studies ever done on brain aging and alcohol, making the findings quite robust.

there is a error it should be " Drinking alcohol every day can speed up brain aging by one week per session "

I bet those guys are not real scientists, they have not tested it on themselfe. I usually get very smart after some cognac .....

@pondus hahahaha.. it's a scientific study (imaging of the brain) so, can't be discounted just like that. Whatever pep one gets is temporary, it's after effects is what matters. I would rather some psychologists opine on this would be apt.

Alcohol changes your brain. Your brain physically adapts to your environment so you perform better at whatever you’re doing, explains Brad Lander, PhD, clinical director of addiction medicine at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center in Columbus. But when you consistently drink alcohol, your brain may interpret this as a new environment and change nerve cells and brain connections to help you function better with alcohol in your system.

“Once the brain adapts to the alcohol, it does not ‘unadapt,’” he says. “When alcoholics stop drinking, some of these changes continue to be a problem throughout their lives.”

https://www.everydayhealth.com/news/essential-facts-about-alcohol-abuse/

Oxidative stress. When our liver tries to break down alcohol, the resulting chemical reaction can damage its cells. This damage can lead to inflammation and scarring as the liver tries to repair itself.

Toxins in gut bacteria. Alcohol can damage our intestine which lets toxins from our gut bacteria get into the liver. These toxins can also lead to inflammation and scarring.

Drinking alcohol can increase your risk of developing liver disease

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/alcohol-facts/health-effects-of-alcohol/effects-on-the-body/alcohol-related-liver-disease/

Edited by sman

@pondus 

In a report published in the year 2017, World Health Organization stated that Labeling of alcoholic product can be considered as one of the important component of public health strategy in order to reduce the harm caused by alcohol. In order to establish a better social understanding it is very important to state the health related issues in the form of labels on the alcohol beverages. 

Statutory Warnings :

In Australia, the manufacturers of alcohol are required to put warning labels with respect to drinking alcohol during the period of pregnancy 2. In Ireland due to the influence of Irish Cancer Society the government is required to put warning labels describing the alcohol's carcinogenic properties 3. Since 1989, USA has laid several emphasis on the warning labels on alcohol beverages 4. The alcohol manufacturers in USA are required to warn about the risk of drinking and driving, operating some kind of machinery while drinking, and the harms of drinking when pregnant. In Thailand, under Section 32 of the law, the alcohol beverages are not required to be advertised in such a manner that it directly or indirectly claims the benefits arising from having alcohol. According to their law, the declaration which is issued as per the order of the act needs to be accompanied by at least one out of five predefined statutory warning5.

2 "Mandatory warning labels to be introduced on alcohol". Food & Drink Business. 15 October 2018.

3 Finn, Christina. "Irish Cancer Society urges minister not to drop proposed cancer warning labels on alcohol products". TheJournal.ie.

4 Boyle, Peter; Boffetta, Paolo; Lowenfels, Albert B.; Burns, Harry; Brawley, Otis (2013). Alcohol: Science, Policy and Public Health. Oxford University Press. p. 391. ISBN 9780199655786.

5 Alcohol Control Act B.E. 2551 (2008)" (PDF). The Office of Alcohol Control Committee. Government of Thailand. Retrieved 12 September 2017.

The statements these studies come up with don't stand up to scrutiny.

By that reckoning I've just worked out that my brain is 375 years old. (45 years of drinking daily * 365 days / 52 weeks to get it back to years + the 60 years it has aged normally).

Probably older depending on just how they are defining a session.

It still seems to be working well for a 375 yo brain.

Edit - I've just reread the OP, one week per gramne of alcohol consumed? I think I'll have to change my name to Methuselah.

Edited by nukecad

https://www.buzzfeed.com/natashaumer/9-animals-that-could-teach-us-something-about-drugs-and-alcoenhanced-buzz-16553-1417730486-15.jpg?downsize=800:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto

Dolphins are extremely intelligent creatures who will one day take over the world, so it's no surprise that they figured out a way to pass around a 'joint'. Their narcotic of choice? The intoxicating pufferfish, whose poison is, according to Discover magazine, 50 million times more deadly than marijuana, 40,000 times more dangerous than meth, and more fatal than poison from the black widow.

One dose of the poison, known as tetrodotoxin, can kill dolphins and humans. It will make you feel numb, tingly and light-headed before causing full-body paralysis, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

But rough-toothed dolphins live life on the edge. Rob Pilley, a zoologist and producer of the BBC documentary, Dolphins – Spy In the Pod, told the Sunday Times that they filmed the dolphins "acting peculiar" after the mammals had chewed and passed around a pufferfish.

Christie Wilcox of Discover magazine is skeptical that the dolphins got high intentionally, considering tetrodotoxin doesn't seem like a "happy high." There's only one way to find out if it's worth it...