OSX.Genieo

Every 10 seconds I receive an alert from Real-TIme Protection that Malwarebytes quarantined 1 threat.   Action shows OSX.Genieo.  

How do I permanently delete and stop the constant alerts?  I have checked remove on the Quarantine item.  Rebooted. Does not stop the alert.

Thanks in advance for your help.

On 10/27/2019 at 10:22 AM, JJGW said:

Every 10 seconds I receive an alert from Real-TIme Protection that Malwarebytes quarantined 1 threat.   Action shows OSX.Genieo.  

How do I permanently delete and stop the constant alerts?  I have checked remove on the Quarantine item.  Rebooted. Does not stop the alert.

I'm having the same issue as JJGW. This began on the evening of October 27th. I have checked the box to remove the item from the quarantine list and have rebooted. Nothing seems to work. The Real-Time Protection alerts is constant and doesn't go away. 

I have open a Support Ticket number 2744155. Any help you can provide us will be much appreciated.

1 hour ago, MAXBAR1 said:

Do you use macOS Catalina?
If so, have you granted full disk access to this process

/ Library / Application Support / Malwarebytes / MBAM / Engine.bundle / Contents / PlugIns / RTProtectionDaemon.app

in privacy settings?

I upgraded to macOS Catalina about 10 days ago and I haven't had any issues until last night. How do I grant full disk access? 

Hello to all:  Thanks for your responses.  I finally turned off the alert following the instructions in this link; scroll down to Mac area.  It worked.

https://www.wikihow.tech/Stop-Malwarebytes-Pop-Ups-on-PC-or-Mac

However, I still have the malware/virus in Quarantine.  I was hoping there was a way MalwareBytes could remove from the computer; tried a scan but it's still there.

Anyone have any recommendations for that?  What Is in search results is complicated and I don't want to make it worse.

Thanks again.  Btw, I have macOS Catalina Ver 10.15 on my MacBook.

• Staff
3 minutes ago, JJGW said:

Hello to all:  Thanks for your responses.  I finally turned off the alert following the instructions in this link; scroll down to Mac area.  It worked.

https://www.wikihow.tech/Stop-Malwarebytes-Pop-Ups-on-PC-or-Mac

That's not going to help with this problem. I sent you, and several others, a script to run to get more information so we can figure out what's going on here.

• Staff
26 minutes ago, FossilPeddler said:

I didn’t have the most recent update, Catalina.  I just downloaded it and when it came up there was a notification about Malwarebytes.  It said something like notifications for Malware may include sounds, etc.  I said no.  I haven’t gotten any notifications for Malwarebytes yet!

So, that means you won't get notifications about things like detections, files getting quarantined, etc. That should provide temporary relief from this issue, but is really not the best thing to do long-term, as it could cause you to miss important information.

So I just got a message from someone named “Treed”, sending me a zipped file and asking for my admin password among other things.  I have no reason to trust this!

Just to be clear, I didn't ask for your password. The script needs you to authenticate to allow it the level of permissions it needs, but it never sees the password. macOS displays the password request and handles the authentication. It's wise to be skeptical of something sent to you by random folks on a forum, but in this case I'm not some random guy. You can see from my profile that I'm a member of the Malwarebytes staff.