Software choice

Hi, I feel a bit overwhelmed by numer of software choices available on your website. (I post it here because there is no general forum category for my question and I think this section is the closest match to my topic).

1) Is it OK according to your license terms to buy Malwarebytes for Home (Premium) if I have company?
2) Should I choose 1 device (or 2 devices) if I want to use it on both Windows and Android?
3) What if I want to use it on more than one Android device (smartphone and tablet)?
4) Will it be easy to move Malwarebytes for Android from my smartphone if I decide to buy new device?
5) I've also found that software is available from two websites (store.malwarebytes.com and estore.malwarebytes.com). Which one should I choose?
6) What is the difference between Malwarebytes Endpoint Security and Malwarebytes Premium?
7) Will the subscription automatically renew if I choose credit card?

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column
    0. UI.png
  7. Click the Gather Logs button
    17. Advanced.png
  8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer
    19. System Repair Progress.png
  9. Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
  10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Greetings,

I'm not sure if I can answer all of your questions, but I'll do my best.

Each subscription is good for one device, so if you wish to protect a Windows PC and an Android device you'll need to select 2 devices for your purchase, adding 1 additional license/device for each additional device that you wish to protect regardless of the OS (though if you wish to protect any iOS devices you'll need to purchase those licenses directly from the Apple store as with all software for that OS).  If you are in a business environment you may use the home version of Malwarebytes for up to 10 devices, however if you wish to protect more than that then you should purchase one of the business products.  If you wish to move a license from one device to another it is very easy.  You just deactivate the software on the current device (there is an option in the UI to do so) then install and activate the product on your new device.  You can also register for an account at My.Malwarebytes.com to manage your licenses/devices where you'll be able to deactivate individual devices as well as see where each is activated, and you can also deactivate all devices there if you ever needed to (like if you're replacing all of them at once; very useful if you are managing and upgrading multiple devices simultaneously in a business or home environment).

Malwarebytes Endpoint Security adds the ability to manage devices remotely via the Malwarebytes Management Console which you may install on a server on your local network which provides live reporting, policy control for protection, exclusions, scheduled scanning and control over many other features and functions for the software installed on the managed devices while Malwarebytes Premium does not.  Malwarebytes Premium has all of the protection components integrated into a single application while Malwarebytes Endpoint Security has them separated into the Anti-Malware application which includes Malware Protection and Web Protection (for blocking malicious websites/servers), the standalone Anti-Exploit application, and the standalone Anti-Ransomware application.  While they provide essentially the same combined protection as the home Premium product, they use separate applications/agents in the Endpoint Security product and the version of Anti-Malware shipped with Endpoint Security uses the older Malwarebytes 1.x style user interface.

All subscriptions are configured to renew automatically by default, however you may change this at any time after purchase by contacting the e-commerce vendor that handles your purchase or by contacting Malwarebytes Support.  2Checkout, one of the two possible e-commerce partners, also has their system integrated with the My Account feature at My.Malwarebytes.com so that you can cancel auto-renewal through the My.Malwarebytes.com site if you create an account there.  Regardless of which e-commerce partner handles your purchase, you can still cancel at any time if you choose; it's just a bit more convenient with 2Checkout if your purchase went through them and you create an account at My.Malwarebytes.com after purchasing.

I do not know what the difference is between the two sites, however I tried going to both, and entering estore.malwarebytes.com results in my browser being redirected to the Malwarebytes homepage so I'm not sure what that address is used for if anything.

You can find further details about Malwarebytes Endpoint Security on this page and you may also consult the help knowledgebase at support.malwarebytes.com which includes how-to guides, product feature details as well as detailed documentation, including downloadable PDF guides, how-to videos, walkthroughs and more.

I hope this helps, and if there is anything else we might assist you with please let us know.

Thanks

Thank you, your response is very useful. Most likely I will choose Malwarebytes Premium (for home). Can I also use debit card or only credit card for my purchase? What will happen if my card will be expired (or funds insufficient) on auto-renewal - am I obliged to provide new card details or can it be treated as cancellation? Will I be reminded that it's close to auto-renewal by email shortly before it happens?

I'm also a bit confused by information in the online store:

Malwarebytes Premium 
Roczna subskrypcja na PC, 3 Devices
System operacyjny:Microsoft® Windows®, Mac OS®, Android™

It says "Annual subscription for PC" and then about operating systems. Why does it say "for PC" if it's also for Android, which is not for PC (but for mobile devices)? Can I assume that I will be able to use these three keys for my three devices (two Windows and one Android)?

Yes, you can use a debit card and if it expires/funds are not available then you will be notified, and yes you will receive a notification email when it is close to renewal and you will also see notifications in the product itself from the tray and in the main UI.  If you do not provide an adequate payment method in time for your renewal then the subscription will be treated as a cancellation and the product's paid features will cease to function.

Yes, you will be able to use your 3 licenses on any 3 compatible devices (including any running Android); I'm not sure why it specifically says 'for PC', but it is definitely not just for PC as there are versions of the product available for all of those devices/operating systems and purchased licenses can be used on any of those types of devices/any combination of those types of devices as long as the total number of devices it is activated on with your license does not exceed the amount that you purchase (i.e. 3 if you intend to protect 2 Windows systems and one Android device); the only exception of course is that any iOS devices must have their licenses purchased separately on the Apple App Store.

I have some questions related to T&C:

"You may not combine the Software with any third party script, application, hardware or tools which would cause it to run on an automated or unattended basis" - what does it mean? For example, Windows Defender runs on an automated and unattended basis.

"the Software may be operated by any person directly using the Device (i.e., not remotely), provided that you are responsible for each such person's operation of the Software" - does it mean that if I have Malwarebytes, I cannot use Chrome Remote Desktop, TeamViewer or any similar software (for purposes different than managing Malwarebytes)?

"If you use the Small Business Exception, references to Malwarebytes for Business shall be read as governing your usage of the Software", "you may transfer Software that has been Executed on a Device to a different Device, provided that [...] the amount of Devices subject to transfer does not exceed 10% of your licensed Devices for such Software" - does it mean that I will not be allowed to transfer Malwarebytes from old smartphone to new smartphone, if I have only three licenses and have business?

"the Software may be operated by any Authorized User using the Device, directly or (where that person is providing support services to you with respect to that Device) via remote connection" - so maybe, after all, Chrome Remote Desktop or TeamViewer are acceptable (not related to managing Malwarebytes, but for other purposes)?

"You may not use on behalf of, or make the functionality of the Software available to, third parties for any purpose, such as for providing any computer repair, help desk or troubleshooting service" - again, does it mean that Chrome Remote Desktop, TeamViewer or similar software cannot be used (if it's used for different purpose than managing Malwarebytes)? Does it also cover situation when Malwarebytes shows notice (e.g. about potential threat) on my computer and I need to click something in Malwarebytes? Is it OK to use my computer with Malwarebytes installed, if I have remote connection and I click things in Malwarebytes by myself if there are any notices from Malwarebytes?

"Our prices are exclusive of taxes, duties, levies, tariffs, and other governmental charges (including, without limitation, VAT) (collectively, "Taxes")" - what does it mean? I see in the store that it contains VAT so why do T&Cs say about exclusion of VAT?

Summing up, I don't understand terms & conditions related to remote use of my computer. Why are these restrictions present in T&Cs after all?

Thank you!

I believe the main issue they're addressing with the whole remote aspect and authorized users etc. is that they don't want someone setting up say a central server where the software runs for protection and they have a ton of thin clients running through that so that they all are using that protection on those other devices/instances in a virtual sense as a way of bypassing having to purchase separate licenses for each individual client/device.

With regards to automation, I believe they're just talking about things like modifying the software to do things that it was not intended to do; it has no impact on other software on your system which includes its own automation such as Windows Defender.  Basically they don't want you to modify any of Malwarebytes' code/files etc. to automate something to gain functionality that isn't intended/provided by the software as it is (like say, taking the free version and modifying it so that you can script automated/scheduled scanning with it even though the free version doesn't include that functionality).  A good example would be building some kind of script that automates functions within the software beyond the functionality provided, like building an AutoIT script or similar to automate the software's functions in any way.  They also don't want you automating/scripting deployment of the software I'm sure, especially since such functionality is included in the higher tier business versions of the product (which also include the remote management and monitoring features I mentioned; I think a lot of these items are to guard against the home product cannibalizing their more robust business products, which makes sense).

With regards to remote services, I believe they're saying that you aren't authorized to take your copies/instances of the software and use them to run a remote PC repair business to get paid for it, like what a company such as Support.com or GeekSquad does where they remotely install the software on customers' systems to repair/clean them, then remove the software and repeat this process over and over to generate income from the software that they purchased.  If you have a business and you have the software installed on your employees' endpoints and you remote into their systems to do things like scan their systems, check their logs, deal with notifications/threats/quarantine events etc., that's perfectly fine (though if it is something you end up having to do often and especially if it is across a larger number of devices, I'd highly recommend one of the actual business products since they include options for cloud based remote monitoring, remote management and automation via policies and remotely executed commands as well as an on-premises solution which provides the Malwarebytes Management Console for you to install on a server on your network to perform the same task, just on your local system/network rather than through the cloud).

I'm not certain what they're referring to with regards to transferring the software except that I suspect they are trying to avoid situations where an individual purchases a single license and uses it to perform remote repairs on multiple devices within their environment, basically 'cheating the system' by exploiting the ability to transfer the software from one device to another.  Really, in the case of actually replacing one device with another, it should not be an issue, however I would recommend speaking with Sales or a member of Malwarebytes Support just to make certain.  That said, this too sounds similar to the above regarding remote repair businesses, though it could also encompass IT within a company as I mentioned, where say you bought 3 copies of the software, but regularly used it for installing on/cleaning up any number of a hypothetical 100 systems in your environment.  Since you're purchasing the software to actually install on/protect 3 specific devices for the life of those devices (until they are replaced of course, at which point you would then transfer the software to the replacement device) then this should be just fine and should not conflict with the agreement, at least as I understand it, though this may be something to take up with Malwarebytes Sales and/or Support directly just to make certain if you are concerned about the restrictions.  Obviously you wouldn't want to jeopardize your licenses just because you had to replace a device that failed or was simply replaced due to being out of date etc.

I'm not certain what the deal is with the VAT/taxes etc. and why that is mentioned, except that it may be a holdover from when they did not have VAT built into the sales site, however this is another item you may want to confirm with Sales or Support officially if you are greatly concerned about it.

Anyway, to get concrete answers, your best bet would be to contact Malwarebytes Support directly by filling out the form on the bottom of this page and they should be able to provide you with definitive answers to all of your questions.  I am fairly knowledgeable, however I am definitely not an authority on the subject, especially with regards to the legal terms and conditions of Malwarebytes' licensing agreements and I would not want to provide any inaccurate information which is why I try to offer clarification where I can, but still must defer to the Malwarebytes staff for any definite answers to these questions.

I apologize that I cannot offer more definite answers to all of your questions, however I would not want to mislead you and end up steering you wrong due to any inaccurate interpretations I may have of the agreements.

By the way, I will also ping members of our Business Support team to take a look at this thread, as I am certain they can likely clarify many of these points as well (if not all of them);

@CHMOD_777, @N33dful, @knguyen1 could one of you guys (or anyone from Business Support) assist here with definitive answers to these questions above regarding the EULA/licensing terms for using the Home/Premium software in a business environment (3 licenses) please?

Thanks