Component Update 1.0.508 issue

No specific mention of issues on the Avast forum, but the original announcement said "... The microfix is provided by the Avast Emergency Updater which is run automatically from task scheduler every 12 hours and a few minutes after system boot. "  Considering the number of reboots I've had since this MBAM update, had there been anything outstanding...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the information you've provided. We've been unable to replicate this issue so far, but we're still trying. The logs you've provided so far will help us in narrowing this down. For now, you should be able to disable just Web Protection inside of Malwarebytes rather than all of Malwarebytes so you can keep benefiting from the other levels of protection.

Just to add, you can at least somewhat supplement the protection provided by Web Protection by installing the Malwarebytes browser extension beta which is currently available for Chrome/Chromium browsers as well as Firefox:

Chrome
Firefox

Unlike Web Protection it only shields the browser from connecting to bad sites, not the entire system, so it's not quite as defensive, however it does have some advantages including the fact that it blocks ads, tracking servers as well as behaviorally blocking some threats like clickbait links/ads as well as tech support scam sites (in addition to the normal blacklisted sites that would be blocked by Web Protection).  It is also fully compatible with Web Protection, so once the issue is resolved you may keep the browser extension installed and continue to use it alongside Malwarebytes 3's Web Protection for additional security/safer browsing and it can even speed things up when Web Protection blocks sites since it works within the browser to make the blocks/redirects happen more quickly.

Sorry. Had to keep 'the disruptive child' in time-out long enough to determine there were no other stability issues. Did I mention my continued health & well-being are contingent on this system's health & well-being? MBAM back in play, sans Web Protection ... with Process Explorer active just in case.

Avast and AVG do have a lot in common. We are still working through both of your cases, and trying to see what we can reproduce.

Out of curiosity, when the system hard locks, can you clarify a few things please:

1. Does the mouse freeze as well?
  2. Does the screen turn black?
  3. If you let the system sit for awhile, does it unfreeze?

1 minute ago, dcollins said:

Avast and AVG do have a lot in common. We are still working through both of your cases, and trying to see what we can reproduce.

Out of curiosity, when the system hard locks, can you clarify a few things please:

Yes the mouse freezes as well

No to the other two questions

I was going to install the application update just now and  disable web protection before it had a chance to freeze

see if it still froze. But it did not find the update 

I assume the update has been pulled while you solve this case. Since downgrading to the version without the update .. no freezes or lock ups

Nope, the update has not been pulled. So far, we've only had three reports of this issue, which is why it's very strange. Note that if you downloaded the latest installer from the website, it already has this latest update bundled inside of it, so that could be why it's not finding anything. You can check your version under Settings -> About

15 minutes ago, dcollins said:

Depends on the scenario.

- The initial lock-ups (both apps full ON), explorer.exe gradually became unresponsive... couldn't launch new apps, access Start Menu, etc. but mouse was still active.

- When I disabled all Avast 'shields', the lock-up  was HARD. No mouse/kbd. Screen froze. Audio was either a buzz, or 1-2 sec. of recorded TV audio looping.

Never.

Never.

Had just performed an MBAM repair & kicked off similar activity... and was never able to complete this response before it locked-up again.

Running when the lock-up happened:

5 - WMC recordings, 1 - LiveTV

several open Firefox browser tab including a radio stream

This is roughly the same 'stress' test I ran yesterday before restarting the MBAM service (w/ Avast enabled) for several hours.

This morning, before uninstalling Avast I had:

several active recordings,  while I was watching one

a VBox VM running w/ active VPN & ~heavy downloads

an active handbrake encode

other stuff

& experienced no issues. I'm DEFINITELY NOT overtaxing the HW when the lock-ups happen & the same load that's OK without web protection active, locks-up within minutes after re-enabling it.

What now?