macOS Mojave beta

Roodan

I have recently updated my OS to macOS Mojave 10.14 Public Beta (18A365a).  I previously had Malwarebytes Premium installed and appeared to be working fine however today I attempted to allow an update with the result that the app simply hangs.  I uninstalled the app but now find I cannot reinstall because the installer will only allow installation to High Sierra or earlier.

Mojave is in its ninth build and release is scheduled for Sept so must be nearing finished state.  My subscription is due for renewal in Sept so I would like to think a compatible version of Malwarebytes would be available soon if not now or I will be cancelling my automatic renewal.

Roodan, I don't work for either Apple or Malwarebytes, so this is just my two-cents-worth...

I believe you miss a key point. Mojave 10.14 is still only BETA software, so it is only logical and reasonable to expect that some Apple and/or third-party apps may not work as desired, properly or at all. Once macOS Mojave is no longer in beta, then it will be reasonable to expect both Apple and third-party app developers to release updates. However, issuing thinly-veiled ultimatums is unprofessional and simply not cool.

If you browse these forums, you'll see that periodically new betas of Malwarebytes are being released. Keep an eye on these pages and you'll eventually may be able to join in beta-testing.

In the meanwhile, relax and be patient like the rest of us.

Edited by da2357
Spelling correction.

My threat was not intended to be veiled, thinly or otherwise. As this is a paid for version of the app I expect it to keep working even if not fully functional.  To release an update with no warning that this will render the app unusable and that it cannot be reinstalled because of macOS version limitations is what I would call unprofessional.  As a registered user I would not have thought it too unreasonable to expect an email or news letter warning of the issue.

The app was working albeit perhaps not perfectly prior to initiating the suggested update.  So it was totally unexpected when I found that it could not be reinstalled.

Lastly this is an app which removes/quarantines known Malware according to known descriptions not an app which needs to interact much with the OS.  It's hard to believe that there may be new malware already that targets some intrinsic weakness in Mojave. The current version works with El Capitan through to High Sierra and I find it hard to believe that Mojave is that different to High Sierra.  High Sierra was a much more dramatic change with it's new filing system (APFS).

Lastly it is perfectly reasonable to be able to test third party apps with a public beta operating system.  Apple has a purpose made Feedback Assistant for this.  I already have updated apps for Mojave from third party developers and finding out if they function as intended when it may indeed turn out to be an Apple issue might be a good idea.

I now find myself without a product I have paid for but cannot reinstall.

Why not a beta version of Malwarebytes for Mojave?

P.S. I am already enrolled in the Malwarebytes beta program.

It wasn’t necessary to uninstall the app to risolve the issue: it would have been enough the forced exit, restart the Mac and block the beta updates and you would have had the app as before.

If the upgrade does not work, it seems obvious to me that this is a setup problem.

Moreover anyone who has the slightest idea of what is a beta program knows that these aren’t versions to be installed on the primary device.

who is the cause of his illness, weeps himself. (Italian way of speaking)

• Staff

Roodan, we are working on resolving some issues with Mojave, and when we can, we will release something to the beta channel.

Please note, though, that no software developer can guarantee that their software will work with a beta version of an operating system, and we are no exception. If you are running a beta system, you take responsibility for any issues that occur as a result. Beta means more than getting a sneak preview of the new OS... it means running unproven code that may not work something and that may cause any number of problems, including instability, application incompatibility, and even data loss.

Please keep in mind that there are many companies out there who won't even start working on fixes until after the new version of the OS is officially released... and for good reason. Last year, we spent a lot of time and effort fixing a problem with the High Sierra betas that completely broke our software. At the last minute, the last High Sierra beta solved the problem, and all our efforts turned out to be unneeded.

Nonetheless, our goal is to have a beta release ready at the very least before Mojave is released "for real."

Thomas, that's what I was hoping for. A beta of Malwarebytes to try with the close to final Mojave beta. In that way we can work out who needs to fix what.  I don't expect miracles, I realize coding is complex and difficult.

I am actively involved in the public beta testing program with Apple and some other developers.  It is a hobby/pastime for me, I don't download beta software just to be first on the block with a new OS.  I would like to think I make a small but positive contribution to the development of new software.

I do not run beta OS's on my primary drive so I am quite prepared to loose everything should the worst happen. I do all my testing on cloned versions of my internal drive housed in external Thunderbolt SSD's running as boot volumes.

Thanks for your reply, I am still using your excellent product on my primary drive and could copy it across but it's not that simple as I'm sure you will understand.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having a similar issue but I am also very experienced with large beta testing and apple code and technology. While Mojave is a beta, as the leading Apple Scanner, is there a Beta or TestFlight that can be available for developers?

I am more than willing to work with you to create a better product as someone in SDLC, BI, Mobility, Communications and an Apple Dev Holder. 

Is there a developers page?

Same issue here, been a loyal Windows user for years, but now I'm also on a Mac.  The Installed version won't update now the Mat is on 10.14 beta (18A371a), so I tried downloading the latest version for the site and it states it requires macos (10.11) thru to (10.13), so it is actively blocking the install. 

1 hour ago, ncudmore said:

The Installed version won't update now the Mat is on 10.14 beta (18A371a), so I tried downloading the latest version for the site and it states it requires macos (10.11) thru to (10.13), so it is actively blocking the install. 

Exactly, as explained in Post #5, developers don't normally waste time trying to keep up with the moving train that is a macOS beta until about this time, so a compatible version of Malwarebytes is unlikely to be available to anybody outside of the organization until shortly before or even after macOS release. That's especially true of utility apps that require elevated privileges and detailed knowledge of new system capabilities and limitations. It would be unprofessional to allow the current version to be allowed to run in an unfinished OS environment and put users in jeopardy of losing data as a result.

Edited by alvarnell

Both iMazing and Carbon Copy Cloner have released versions for Mojave beta. CCC have already updated Thier first version. Mac's Fans Control and Clean My Mac 3 have already released Mojave versions and this was weeks ago. Three out of four required system access vie security settings so I disagree. Malware bytes is clearly dragging Thier feet.

OnyX (along with Maintenance & Deeper) has never released a compatible update until after release. I'm not aware of any AV software that has a beta version in public and know for certain that ClamXAV is not yet fully compatible and no beta yet that is.

I'm sure there are many others, but I’m not able to test Mojave yet and if I was I would not be able to say what doesn't work due to NDA restrictions.

BTW, Clean My Mac has always been PUA and should be avoided by most users.

Also, it should be noted that at least one issue that Malwarebytes has involves an installation complication caused by new security restrictions currently imposed by Mojave. If those restrictions aren't relaxed by release time, then changes required will be far greater than those that impacted the examples you sited. Hope I'm not talking out of school here.

Edited by alvarnell
Additional info

I'm reasonably certain that "full system access" (whatever you think that means) has nothing to do with Malwarebytes Mojave issue(s).

Edited by alvarnell

• Staff

We are working on issues with the user interface caused by changes to Mojave, and expect to have a beta soon. We will have a final release before Mojave is made public.

Keep in mind that Mojave is currently a beta system, which we have (internally) known issues with. It is not productive to criticize that we are dragging our feet without any knowledge of what those problems are or what we're doing to address them.