Malwarebytes 3 and Windows Defender

Go to solution Solved by exile360,

I have a PC running Win 7 64 bit Home Premium (all updated) and the latest version of Malwarebytes.  Prior to purchasing Malwarebytes, I was just running MSE.  I don't remember if Windows Defender at the time was enabled or disabled.

When I installed Malwarebytes the first time, I believe that it prompted me during the installation if I wanted to integrate it with the security on my PC.  I said yes.  

I have Windows Update set to notify me of updates and let me decide to download and install them (a setting that I want to keep).  However, since I installed Malwarebytes, I get notified every few days through Windows Update of Windows Defender definitions that are available.  I've been downloading and installing them each time.

My question is, should Windows Defender be enabled if I have Malwarebytes?  Also, if it should be, is there another way to update it other than having to manually install the Windows Defender definitions every few days?  TIA.

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven't done so already, please run these two tools and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Leave the log files in the current location, they will be automatically collected by mb-check once you complete the next set of instructions
  • MB-Check
    1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
    2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, press "Enter" to accept the EULA then click "OK" 
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
      • This file will include the FRST logs generated from the previous set of instructions
      • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

9 hours ago, thelordpuffer said:

My question is, should Windows Defender be enabled if I have Malwarebytes?  Also, if it should be, is there another way to update it other than having to manually install the Windows Defender definitions every few days?  TIA.

I have MBAM and Defender both enabled on numerous computers and Defender installs its definitions automatically.  You have something configured wrong related to Defender. 

Edited by bru

• Solution

That is one option, however if you'd like to configure it to update more frequently (without having to enable Automatic Updates for Windows Update; which by the way is normally how Windows Defender receives its definition and program updates), then you can follow the tutorial on this page.  Also, just FYI, those same instructions also apply to Microsoft Security Essentials (the full antivirus from Microsoft based on Windows Defender that they offer for free for users of Windows Vista and Windows 7, and the same product that ships with Windows 8/8.1/10 that got renamed to Windows Defender in those newer Windows versions).

If you wish to use Microsoft Security Essentials instead of just Windows Defender (which is basically an anti-spyware/anti-Trojan application, not quite a full antivirus like Microsoft Security Essentials) then you can get it here or here.

Yes, I'd install MSE (it will turn Windows Defender off for you automatically when you install it) because it's just about as light on resources as Windows Defender, works well alongside Malwarebytes, but provides better protection/detects more threats than Windows Defender so there's really no good reason not to in my opinion.  Malwarebytes 3 and MSE make an excellent combination :) 

46 minutes ago, exile360 said:

Yes, I'd install MSE (it will turn Windows Defender off for you automatically when you install it) because it's just about as light on resources as Windows Defender, works well alongside Malwarebytes, but provides better protection/detects more threats than Windows Defender so there's really no good reason not to in my opinion.  Malwarebytes 3 and MSE make an excellent combination :) 

MSE is installed.  Things are working well.  Like you said, Malwarebytes 3 and MSE play nice together.

2 hours ago, thelordpuffer said:

MSE is installed.  Things are working well.  Like you said, Malwarebytes 3 and MSE play nice together.

Not sure how I missed it but if you're running Windows 7 I suppose MSE would be better for you but I really would think you should look in to upgrading your OS.

Edited by bru

3 hours ago, bru said:

Not sure how I missed it but if you're running Windows 7 I suppose MSE would be better for you but I really would think you should look in to upgrading your OS.

I was just going to post that I'm running Win 7.  Thanks anyway. :)

BTW, I plan on updating my OS in 2020 when MS no longer supports Win 7.

Edited by thelordpuffer