Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Fails to start protection

I am using a Windows Vista Home Premium laptop and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware paid version.

There's a problem with the protection module, it won't run properly, every time I start it, it terminates.

Here's the log I found:

18:09:35 David ERROR zlib::decompress failed with error code 5

18:09:35 David MESSAGE Protection stopped

Before today everything was working perfectly fine, today I just opened my computer and this happened. I didn't install/uninstall any program yesterday.

Please help me, and thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

Greetings,

I to am having an issue with the protection failing with error [openEvent} Failed to perform desired action. Error Code 2

The only action preceeding this was running the programs update.

The system is running Windows XP x64 SP2

MalwareBytes Anti Malwareversion 1.41 (looks to be the latest)

Windows system event shows

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Service Control Manager

Event Category: None

Event ID: 7034

Date: 10/19/2009

Time: 6:18:34 PM

User: N/A

Computer: STASIS

Description:

The MBAMService service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Also this in the Windowws App event

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Application Error

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1000

Date: 10/19/2009

Time: 5:34:58 PM

User: N/A

Computer: STASIS

Description:

Faulting application mbam.exe, version 1.41.0.0, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.2.3790.4455, fault address 0x0004f053.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Data:

0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat

0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail

0010: 75 72 65 20 20 6d 62 61 ure mba

0018: 6d 2e 65 78 65 20 31 2e m.exe 1.

0020: 34 31 2e 30 2e 30 20 69 41.0.0 i

0028: 6e 20 6e 74 64 6c 6c 2e n ntdll.

0030: 64 6c 6c 20 35 2e 32 2e dll 5.2.

0038: 33 37 39 30 2e 34 34 35 3790.445

0040: 35 20 61 74 20 6f 66 66 5 at off

0048: 73 65 74 20 30 30 30 34 set 0004

0050: 66 30 35 33 0d 0a f053..

Any assistance would be appreciated.

@ glbeer64

Welcome to Malwarebytes! Just a tip, If you post under another user, we may miss you? If you have an issue Start a New Topic please follow these instructions:

follow these instructions & post it in the HiJackLog Forum please

Scan and post logs - read note at bottom in green

If you're having Malware related issues with your computer that you're unable to resolve.

1. Please read and follow the instructions provided here: I'm infected - What do I do now?
  2. If needed please post your logs in a NEW topic here: Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs
  3. When posting logs please do not use any Quote, Code, or other tags. Please copy/paste directly into your post and do not attach files unless requested.

• Please do not post any logs in the General forum. We do not work on any logs posted in the General forum.
  • Please do not install any software or use any removal/scanning tool except for those you're requested to run by the Helper that will assist you.
  • Using these other tools often makes the cleanup task more difficult and time consuming.
  • If you have already submitted for assistance at one of the other support sites on the Internet then you should not post a new log here, you should stay working with the Helper from that site until the issue is resolved.
  • Do not assume you're clean because you don't see something in the logs. Please wait until the person assisting you provides feedback.
  • There are often many others that require asistance as well, so please be patient. If no one has responded within 48 hours then please go ahead and post a request for review

NOTE: If for some reason you're unable to run some or any of the tools in the first link, then skip that step and move on to the next one. If you can't even run HijackThis, then just proceed and post a NEW topic as shown in the second link describing your issues and someone will assist you as soon as they can.

• Root Admin

What Anti-Virus are you running? Have you added file exclusions if needed?

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10138

Please post back the data value of this key in the registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup

SystemPartition

Have you tried the following?

Please try this on the computer that is having an issue.

1. Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware using Add/Remove programs in the control panel.

2. Restart your computer (very important).

3. Download and run this utility. mbam-clean.exe

4. It will ask to restart your computer (please allow it to).

5. After the computer restarts, install the latest version from here. mbam-setup.exe

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray and that you can run a quick scan and all is working as expected.