Unable to load DDA driver Malwarebtes 3.4.4

Go to solution Solved by nikhils,

I've been running Malwarebytes 3.4.4 without problem since its release until I got the "unable to load DDA driver" message again today with the associated advice to reboot the computer and run an scan with rootkits scan enabled.

I know you are aware of this problem and are hoping to have a fix soon, but I would like to add that I think it's overkill that Malwarebytes then runs a full threat scan with rootkit scan enabled on reboot and there seems to no way to cancel this scan without Malwarebytes trying to do it again on the next reboot. Running a Malwarebytes scan at boot really slows down my low spec laptop and I would rather not do it unnecessarily when I know I don't have a rootkit problem.

I attach the required logs in case they are of interest but I don't expect them to tell you anything new. I thought I'd use the advanced options in the new Malwarebytes Support Tool to gather the info just to try it out - seems like a big step forward.

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64x

MB Premium 3.4.4

Microsoft Security Essentials

CryptoPrevent Premium 9.0.0.0

Casper 10.1 Backup and Tweaking.com Registry Backup 3.5.3

mbst-grab-results.zip

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven't done so already, please run these two tools and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Leave the log files in the current location, they will be automatically collected by mb-check once you complete the next set of instructions
  • MB-Check
    1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
    2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, press "Enter" to accept the EULA then click "OK" 
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
      • This file will include the FRST logs generated from the previous set of instructions
      • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

• 2 weeks later...

@nikhils

OK, I followed your advice to delay RTP by 180 seconds - had no problems with that except that the system tray icon would display an error message on startup showing that Web Protection was off, which would eventually clear without intervention. Things ran without problem until the last couple of days when MB appeared to slow up somewhat and then stalled part way through a scan when scanning items in memory. On rebooting, and trying to open MB, I got the DDA drive failure message again. I ran the new Malwarebytes Report Tool to provide diagnostic data (attached) and then used the same tool to run a Clean Install (log attached). After the re-installation, MB seems to be running smoothly again apart from the delay in the tray icon reporting an error for a while if RTP is delayed in settings and a Threat Scan ran without problems (log attached) .

This isn't the first time I've had to perform a clean install to get things up and running correctly - I've done it quite often - I'm eagerly awaiting the next iteration of Malwarebytes to see if that will resolve the problems completely.

MB Premium 3.4.4

Casper 10.1 Backup

mbst-grab-results.zip

mb-clean-results.txt

Latest MB Scan.txt

Edited by TempLost

Hi @nikhils

Thanks for sticking with it. I followed your instructions and, on reboot, the Malwarebytes Tray Icon appeared in the System Tray after some delay without showing any error messages, and I was able to open Malwarebytes from the Tray Icon without problem. I'll let you know if I run into problems again.

If changing the "Malwarebytes Service" (MBAMService) to "Automatic (Delayed Start)" solves my problems, will I need repeat this measure if I need to re-install or clean-install, or will these changed settings hold?

Thanks again.

@nikhils

Just to let you know - I've just installed the update 3.4.5 version of Malwarebytes Premium today and the Malwarebytes Service has reverted to Automatic, from Automatic (Delayed Start). I'll leave it on Automatic and see whether my problems reoccur after running 3.4.5 for a bit.

@bdubrow

I know it's a low priority for you, but language settings are still not carried forward with version 3.4.5

@TempLost

We haven't forgotten about this request!  This is a side-effect of the way upgrades are currently handled and the interaction with the installer.  We plan to detect the OS language prior to installation in one of our upcoming updates so that upgrades will automatically install into that language (assuming it's one of our supported languages). You'll still have the ability to change the default language during the installation, however.

1 hour ago, bdubrow said:

@TempLost

We haven't forgotten about this request!  This is a side-effect of the way upgrades are currently handled and the interaction with the installer.  We plan to detect the OS language prior to installation in one of our upcoming updates so that upgrades will automatically install into that language (assuming it's one of our supported languages). You'll still have the ability to change the default language during the installation, however.

Thanks, the language itself is not a problem, just the fact that the date format is linked to the language and therefore scan schedules and reports show up the US format rather than the standard dd/mm/yyyy used by UK, Australian and many other users. I don't think the option to install in English UK is available ? but I wouldn't expect that, just to maintain the date format set, eventually...... 

On 30/03/2018 at 6:42 PM, nikhils said:

Hello @TempLost

Thank you for changing the service back to Automatic. Keep us posted about the behavior and performance you see with 3.4.5.

@nikhils

Same problem as with my first post - on first boot this afternoon, DDA Driver not loading and Web Protection is OFF. I've run the support tool and attach the logs but I'm now going to change the Malwarebytes Service back to Automatic (Delayed Start) as per your earlier suggestion and reboot - I'll see if that makes any difference.

mbst-grab-results.zip

On reboot, after changing the Malwarebytes Service back to Automatic (Delayed Start), Malwarebytes loaded normally and commenced a Threat Scan off its own bat, presumably because of the reported DDA Driver error. If it's anything like the numerous times it's done this in the past, there'll be no malware found but I'll add to the thread should that not be the case.

So, Malwarebytes 3.4.5 does not of itself solve the problem for me of the failure to load the DDA Driver at startup - I'll leave the Malwarebytes Service back to Automatic (Delayed Start) and see if that helps.

MB Premium 3.4.5

Rebooted after the scan finished (with no threats detected) and Malwarebytes tray icon loaded without displaying any errors and I could open Malwarebytes normally from the icon.

MB Premium 3.4.5

• 2 weeks later...