Malwarebytes Tray Application has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Good deal, thanks for the additional info.  It's starting to sound like perhaps there's something going on with the drive that may be causing the scans to get hung up.  One thing Malwarebytes, especially its rootkit scanning but also its standard scan in general, has always been good at is identifying failing drives and drives with issues (corrupt sectors etc.) which I suspect has to do with how low level its scans tend to be when checking for threats.

If you haven't yet, I'd advise performing a data backup of anything essential to you on the drive and once that's done, go ahead and run Check Disk using the /r switch to check for and recover/repair any bad sectors on the drive.  Additional info on how to use Check Disk can be found here.  Hopefully that helps to resolve the issue, just be aware that in the process of attempting to repair the drive, there is a slim possibility for loss of data, especially if the drive is in particularly rough shape which is why I recommend backing up your data first.

Once you've run Check Disk and allowed to to repair any issues found (including allowing it to run on restart if needed to complete the repair process), go ahead and scan with Malwarebytes again to see how it goes or try MBAR once more if Malwarebytes won't run still due to the errors.

Exile360,

I disagree. I don't think there is any significant problem with the C: drive.  I manually stopped the MBAR scan because I wanted to see if it found malware after 1 hr 42 min scan time. It reported no malware was found.   It was not stalled or hung up.  It was still scanning.  I pretty regularly run scandisk on the C drive with the repair option, probably around twice a week, and it doesn't indicate any errors or repairs made when it's finished.  I've also run many scans recently when the MB3 GUI was working on this system and it never found a problem even after a full scan.  I hope we can eventually get MB3 working again on my system.  I do appreciate your help as part of the team helping me with this problem. 

Chuck

Edited by Chuck1

Sure, no problem.  It was just a thought.  As I said, it reminded me of issues I'd seen in the past.  It doesn't mean that it's the only possible cause, and obviously not if you've been checking the drive.  Hopefully we'll figure out what's going on with it.

I do have another idea that might help us diagnose this issue.  If you are willing, please do the following:

Create a Process Monitor Log:

• Create a new folder on your desktop called Logs
  • Please download Process Monitor from here and save it to your desktop
  • Double-click on Procmon.exe to run it
  • In Process Monitor, click on File at the top and select Backing Files...
  • Click the circle to the left of Use file named: and click the ... button
  • Browse to the Logs folder you just created and type MBAM Log in the File name: box and click Save
  • Exit Process Monitor and open it again so that it starts creating the logs
  • Open Malwarebytes and perform a scan.  Once it freezes or locks up, let it run for a bit longer then terminate the scan
  • Close Process Monitor
  • Right-click on the Logs folder on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Please attach the Logs.zip file you just created to your next reply, or if it is too large, please upload it to WeTransfer and provide us with the link to the file

I'm not able to run a scan using the regular Malwarebytes 3 program since I get the error when I try to launch it.  I can't bring up the main GUI of Malwarebytes 3.  I get the same error when I try to load the system tray (mbamtray.exe).  Do you think it's worth collecting a process monitor log while trying to launch the Malwarebytes 3 program and then getting the error?

Chuck

Sure, that could be useful.  It might help illuminate what's causing the errors and help the Dev and Quality Assurance teams find a solution more quickly.

Also, if you're seeing the slow scanning issue with Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit you can create a Procmon log from that scan as well as that might also prove useful.

Edited by exile360

Today I re-installed Malwarebytes version 2.2.1.1043 and it appears to be running fine using my current license in premium mode. The main program GUI appeared with no problems and it then updated the database.  The system tray icon is also running.  I ran a threat scan and no malware was found.

Edited by Chuck1

Hello again,

I don't know if it will help or not, but it's worth a try anyway.  Please try the new version which was recently released, version 3.4.4.  Open Malwarebytes and click Settings and under the Application tab click the Install Application Updates button.  It should prompt you to download and install the new version, allow it to do so.  Once that's all done, reboot if prompted then give it a try once more to see if it functions correctly.

If it won't work in normal mode, try booting into Safe Mode with Networking to see if it installs/updates there.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. I should now try the newest version.  I think it's a long shot but I'll let you know how it goes.  I'll have to upgrade from the earlier MBAM 2.2.1.1043 version which seems to run fine on my system.  The  MBAM 3.3 version also worked until very recently when the error that we're working on suddenly appeared.

No Joy.  Got the small error window "Malwarebytes has encountered a problem and needs to close..." 

Information on error showed  AppName: mbam.exe     AppVer: 3.0.0.1395     ModName: qt5core.dll
ModVer: 5.6.3.0     Offset: 001aa816

Further error details show:

Exception Information Code 0xc0000005  Flags: 0x00000000 

Then it lists details of 54 modules  mbam.exe, ntdll.dll, kernel32.dll, QT5Quick.dll, USER32.dll, GDI32.dll, Qt5Gui.dll, ole32.dll.....

OK, please give the following a try.  It may help to diagnose what's going on here:

Dependency Walker:

Please run Dependency Walker by downloading the appropriate version for your operating system:

Note: if you aren't sure what type of operating system you have, you may follow the instructions listed here to find out (it may also be capable of automatically detecting and displaying it for you within that page, though it may not work depending on your browser's security settings).

Once you've downloaded the file, unzip it to a folder and run depends.exe

• In Dependency Walker click on File in the top menu and select Open...
  • In the browse dialog that opens navigate to the folder where Malwarebytes is installed (usually C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware)
  • Double-click on mbamtray.exe
  • Once Dependency Walker has analyzed the file it may display a notification dialog.  You may close it by clicking OK then proceed with the next step
  • Click on File in the top menu and select Save As... and save the mbamtray DWI file to a convenient location such as your desktop or the folder where you extracted Dependency Walker to
  • Now right-click on the mbamtray.dwi file you just saved and hover your mouse over Send to and choose Compressed (zipped) folder
  • Attach the mbamtray.zip file you just created to your next reply

Currently I've temporarily installed MBAM 2.2.1.1043 and MB Anti-Exploit 1.12.1.37 along with Avast free Antivirus. I've added MBAM and Anti-Exploit exclusions (exe and sys files) to the Avast exclusion settings to help avoid conflicts.  No problems or errors at all so far. 

When I try installing MBAM 3.3.1.2183 or MBAM 3.4.4.2398-1.0.322 I get the usual error I've been seeing recently.  The MBAM service (mbamservice.exe) runs in the background with no errors.  I can stop (kill) the MBAM 3 service using process explorer so I assume that means it installs without self protection being activated by default.  I wonder if there is another way to activate the self-protection module after installation of MBAM 3 without using the main program GUI.

Chuck

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2018 at 7:13 PM, Chuck1 said:

Thanks, Devin!  I'm sure we will eventually find a way to fix the error.

Chuck

Just a side note is all here. Nothing to do with the issue at hand, but wanted to mention to Chuck1 that a MS specific update can be ignored by using the 'Hide this Update' when in the windows update window. When the specific update is listed for wanting to update, right click it to bring context menu with the hide this update. This way you can continue with automatic updates all the time. You just have to make sure updates aren't automatically Installed, until you hide the specific update first..

Please ignore, since the MS update wasn't the culprit...

Edited by plb4333