Can't open Malwarebyte menu

I'm running Windows 7sp, 64 bit.  When i boot the computer, Malwarebytes launches and the MB icon appears in the lower right task bar.  Right clicking on it offers to check for updates, tells me that all four protection features are activated, and gives the options to "Hide Malwarebytes" or to "Quit Malwarebytes".  Nothing i do will open the main menu.  There was a message earlier that a scan had completed and found one problem.  It said to "Click Here" to see the problem.  When I did, nothing happened except that the message went away.

Suggestions?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven't done so already, please run these two tools and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Leave the log files in the current location, they will be automatically collected by mb-check once you complete the next set of instructions
  • MB-Check
    1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
    2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, press "Enter" to accept the EULA then click "OK" 
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
      • This file will include the FRST logs generated from the previous set of instructions
      • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

@srobertson

2 minutes ago, srobertson said:

Doing it now.  Thanks.

After your done with the above...

I would like you to add these files to your Anti-Virus exclusions list as mentioned in this FAQ HERE (my list below includes the exe files as well) Please restart your computer after you do this.

For Microsoft Security Essentials
Add these to FILE exclusions

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae64.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMChameleon.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMSwissArmy.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mwac.sys
C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\farflt.sys

Add to Process exclusions the following files. (copy and paste works best on these)

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MbamPt.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\assistant.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMWsc.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\malwarebytes_assistant
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamwow.exe

Folders
Also the MB folder in Program Files and the one in Program Data (it is hidden by default)

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes
C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes   (Enable hidden files to add this one.)

Edited by Porthos

5 minutes ago, srobertson said:

Done.  The two MB folders were already there.

If it is still not working follow the below.

Let us get a clean install of the current version. 3.3.1

We have another tool called MB-Clean which will automate the whole process for you.

The clean removal tool will backup your license information and then re-enter the license to the new install.

Tool can be found at https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb_clean

1. After downloading the tool run the tool.

2. The tool will automatically clean up the older possibly damaged installation and will ask you for a restart.

3. Restart your system and then the MB-Clean tool will prompt you to re-install the latest product.

4. Click on "Yes" to reinstall MB 3.×.

5. Now you will have the latest product installed.

If it does not offer the new install after the reboot you can download and install from here. 

https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mb3  

• Root Admin

You're using MSCONFIG (highly recommend you not use it) and it is preventing our program Malwarebytes from starting.

MSCONFIG\Services: MBAMService => 2

Please click on START and type in MSCONFIG and set it back to NORMAL and restart the computer.

Please read the following article concerning the use of MSCONFIG
Msconfig Is Not A Startup Manager

You also have a very old version of Java installed. Please uninstall all versions of Java. If you need Java make sure you keep it up to date at all times. https://java.com

Let me have you run the following script for FRST that will remove some unwanted items and junk entries as well as clean your temp files.

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

fixlist.txt

Then check Malwarebytes and let us know if it's now loading and working properly for you.

Thanks

Ron

I've uninstalled Java, reset MSConfig to Normal, and used ccCleaner to select/unselect startups.

Fixlog and MB Check file attached.

Thanks again for all you time, but Malwarebytes still won't open the menu window.  After restart, the pop up menu has a selection to "open Malwarebytes". When selected, nothing comes up.  After that, the "open Malwarebytes" option is replaced by "Hide Malwarebytes".

Fixlog.txt

mb-check-results.zip

• Root Admin

The logs show that Malwarebytes is already running. Are you sure the program window is not hidden behind another window?

If you right click the menu in the task tray, if Malwarebytes is already running it has a hide command. If it's not running it has an Open command. Is this what you're talking about?

If you close ALL programs and open application windows and right click over Malwarebytes tray icon, what do you get?

hide_malwarebytes.jpg

I see the program is running in Task Manager.  There are no windows open and the Desktop is what I see.  When I first rebooted, the icon gave me the option to “Open Malwarebytes”.  I selected it and got the typical Windows is working symbol which stayed on for less than 30 seconds.  No window ever came up.  After that, the “Open Malwarebytes” option was no longer available and was replaced with “Hide Malwarebytes”.

As I said, it seems to be running in Task Manager.  I just can’t access the menu or interface with the program in any way.

Maybe I’m overlooking something obvious, but I haven’t’ a clue as to what it would be.

Again, thank you for all your efforts to help.

• Root Admin

Okay, I don't think the computer is infected, but I'll go ahead and move your topic into the malware removal forum and we'll run some scans and see what we find.

Please download and run the following Kasperksy tool to remove any found threats and let me know if it finds anything.

Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool

Ron