A couple of problems with Malwarebytes Premium

31 minutes ago, Joe5211 said:

when I viewed a recent Scan Report, it said there were no known threats but then when I checked farther down, I saw that the Rootkit was DISABLED.  When I then rechecked Settings, I confirmed it was properly set to ON.  Which one is correct? 

There two places to turn on toot kit scanning in Malwarebytes. Please see below.

First this is for manual scans.

And next this is for the scheduled scans .

Both are disabled by default and must be turned on by the user. .

Rootkit main.png

rootkit scan.png

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Porthos:

I made the 2nd adjustment as noted.  Took me a few minutes to try "Advanced" button to bring up the screen you had shown so I could turn the Root Kit button on.  Only question now is why you left the :  Restart computer when required for threat removal box unchecked.  Wouldn't that be a good idea?  If not, can you explain your preference to leave it alone?

11 minutes ago, Joe5211 said:

why you left the :  Restart computer when required for threat removal box unchecked.  Wouldn't that be a good idea?  If not, can you explain your preference to leave it alone?

it will prompt you for a restart instead of doing it automatically. You would not want the computer just restarting on its own in the middle of writing a 500-page dissertation. :rolleyes:

YOW!  Thanks again.  I wasn't thinking about that possibility of a threat being found while I was working on the computer and enabling the program to shut the computer down that moment!  Wouldn't the programmers have anticipated that happening?  Since the threat was stopped and isolated, couldn't they just postpone the restart until activity stops for some reasonable time?

12 hours ago, Joe5211 said:

YOW!  Thanks again.  I wasn't thinking about that possibility of a threat being found while I was working on the computer and enabling the program to shut the computer down that moment!  Wouldn't the programmers have anticipated that happening?  Since the threat was stopped and isolated, couldn't they just postpone the restart until activity stops for some reasonable time?

Also bear in mind that if the threat is active in memory, Malwarebytes currently has no means of terminating it.  Malwarebytes will simply create a backup copy of the threat in quarantine, prompt for a reboot and then delete the original version on system restart before the threat has a chance to run in memory again (and Malwarebytes will typically quarantine/delete any loading point/startup entry related to the threat prior to reboot so that when the system restarts to complete the threat removal process, the threat won't even try to run anyway in most cases).

So because of this, if a real threat is found (i.e. actual malware, not just a PUP or adware detection) it's a really good idea to restart the system as soon as possible because as long as it is still active it can still log/send off keystrokes or provide access to your system by the hackers if it's a more dangerous threat such as a keylogger, RAT (Remote Access Trojan) or similar threat.