Malwarebytes won't run or show on my desktop

I can't seem to get my Malwarebytes Premium to open on my desktop. I've tried right-clicking the icon on my task bar, and on my desktop, and in my start menu, then clicking 'open', and 'run as admin'.  I've tried 'check for updates', and right clicking a file 'scan with Malware bytes...nothing seems to work. What can I do to resolve this? Thanks!

When I hover my mouse over the taskbar icon, it shows 'Malwarebytes(premium), Program Version 3.3.1, and Updates:up to date 

mbam.exe and mbamtray.exe are running in Windows task manager.

Running Win 7

Edited by tkmops

16 minutes ago, tkmops said:

I can't seem to get my Malwarebytes Premium to open on my desktop.

Let's try and get some logs first so the team can review them and see if they can tell what may be causing your issues....

1. FIRST: Create and obtain Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) logs
  2. Download FRST and save it to your desktop. Tell any program that blocks it to ignore or allow. It IS SAFE. It contains no info that can identify or harm you.
  3. NOTE: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
  4. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
  5. Press the "Scan" button
  6. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
    NOTE: These two files will be collected by the MB-Check Tool and added to the zip file for you
  7. NEXT: Create and obtain an mb-check log
  8. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
  9. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, then click "OK"
  10. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
  11. Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Let's try and get some logs first so the team can review them and see if they can tell what may be causing your issues....

1. FIRST: Create and obtain Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) logs
  2. Download FRST and save it to your desktop. Tell any program that blocks it to ignore or allow. It IS SAFE. It contains no info that can identify or harm you.
  3. NOTE: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
  4. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
  5. Press the "Scan" button
  6. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
    NOTE: These two files will be collected by the MB-Check Tool and added to the zip file for you
  7. NEXT: Create and obtain an mb-check log
  8. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
  9. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, then click "OK"
  10. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
  11. Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

Whoa, that was fast, file attached.

mb-check-results.zip

7 minutes ago, tkmops said:

Should I try this now, or wait for you to analyze the logs? 

Safe mode and scan now if possible, please

If the scan comes up clean or MB will not open in safe mode return to normal mode and get logs from an administrator account. 

Edited by Porthos

28 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Safe mode and scan now if possible, please

If the scan comes up clean or MB will not open in safe mode return to normal mode and get logs from an administrator account. 

I'm in the middle of running a program right now, so I can't re-boot into safe mode now. Attached are logs run under admin. Let me know if you still need me to re-boot in safe mode, and try rootkit scan. It will be tomorrow before my program is done.

mb-check-results.zip

Edited by tkmops

8 minutes ago, tkmops said:

Let me know if you still need me to re-boot in safe mode, and try rootkit scan. It will be tomorrow before my program is done.

Yes please, There are hidden rootkits that can cause this kind of issues.

7 minutes ago, tkmops said:

Attached are logs run under admin.

Actually, they're not. But do it after you get the safe mode scan done.

Edited by Porthos

18 hours ago, Porthos said:

Yes please, There are hidden rootkits that can cause this kind of issues.

Actually, they're not. But do it after you get the safe mode scan done.

The logs are not 'admin run'? I right clicked the 'FRST64.exe' and ran it as 'admin'....that's what I did the last time you helped me...about a year ago.

1 minute ago, tkmops said:

The logs are not 'admin run'? I right clicked the 'FRST64.exe' and ran it as 'admin'...

Ran by Tod (ATTENTION: The user is not administrator) on TOD-PC (12-01-2018 14:27:22)

There is a difference between running as and being logged itto an Admin account.

Have you run your safemode scan for rootkits yet?

11 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Ran by Tod (ATTENTION: The user is not administrator) on TOD-PC (12-01-2018 14:27:22)

There is a difference between running as and being logged itto an Admin account.

Have you run your safemode scan for rootkits yet?

The program I'm running is almost done. I'll post back when I have more info.

56 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Just out of curiosity, restart into an admin user and see if MB starts and if you can open it? Before you do the safe mode scan.

I already did the following, then saw your last post

Just did the following:
1) Booted into safe mode, and found that real time protection, Malware and Ransom-ware were turned off, and would not turn on. Ran the threat scan, found 0, attached.
2) Reboot into an admin account and ran the logs, attached.
3) Rebooted back into a standard accound, and tried opening Malwarebyte...and it came up!
All the protections that were turned off in safe mode, are on now. Ran another threat scan, found nothing.
4) Ran an 'check for updates'...got the spinning mouse icon, and it opened the Malwarebytes 'About' tab. Is this the most current version?:
Malwarebytes version:3.3.1.2183
Component package:1.0.262
Update package:1.0.3688 
I'm not sure why it's working now, and not before. Can you leave this post open for about a week?
I will open and run the program every day...if it continues to work, then I guess it's OK.

Let me know if you find anything 'fishy' in my logs.

Thanks for all your help. 

mb-check-results.zip

Malwarebytes safemode threat scan 1-13-18.txt

12 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Hello tkmpos.

You ran FRST in Safe Mode (with Networking).   right ?  The safe mode scan report is good.

Be sure to have restarted Windows back into normal mode.  Then start Malwarebytes and do a new scan.

Cheers.

Yes, ran FRST in Safe Mode (with Networking). Yes, already booted back to my standard account, and did a threat scan...found 0.

Is this the most current version? 

Malwarebytes version:3.3.1.2183
Component package:1.0.262
Update package:1.0.3688 

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Don't know but I am happy for you.  Personal question. Do you log off or just switch back n forth between accounts when needed? 

I always use the standard account, as I understand it's more secure? For #2) above I mis-typed, it should have read 'switched into an admin account and ran the logs, attached'

So, I was still in safe mode, in the admin account, when running the logs. 

17 minutes ago, tkmops said:

Can you tell me your opinion, and why using the standard, or admin is better? Just curious..... 

Let's just say I never use a standard account. Not saying it does not make some safer but I have seen plenty of infected computers thru my shop over the years where they were infected with a standard/limited account. 

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Let's just say I never use a standard account. Not saying it does not make some safer but I have seen plenty of infected computers thru my shop over the years where they were infected with a standard/limited account. 

So, using a admin account is more secure/less likely to be infected?