Lock up on "Restart"

2 minutes ago, johnooo said:

I'm using MWB Version Free 3.2.2

Let us get a clean install of the current version. 3.3.1

We have another tool called MB-Clean which will automate the whole process for you.

The clean removal tool will backup your license information and then re-enter the license to the new install.

Tool can be found at https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb_clean

1. After downloading the tool run the tool.

2. The tool will automatically clean up the older possibly damaged installation and will ask you for a restart.

3. Restart your system and then the MB-Clean tool will prompt you to re-install the latest product.

4. Click on "Yes" to reinstall MB 3.×.

5. Now you will have the latest product installed. If it does not offer the new install after the reboot you can download and install from here. 

https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mb3  Please let me know if you are still seeing issues after the latest product install.

Just now, johnooo said:

Thanks for very quick reply

Uninstalled, & then installed version 3.3.1

Did scan, 3 PUP's found

Put into Quarantine

Did "Restart" & it locked again

What do I do now?

Let's try and get some logs first so the team can review them and see if they can tell what may be causing your issues....

1. FIRST: Create and obtain Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) logs
  2. Download FRST and save it to your desktop. Tell any program that blocks it to ignore or allow. It IS SAFE. It contains no info that can identify or harm you.
  3. NOTE: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
  4. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
  5. Press the "Scan" button
  6. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
    NOTE: These two files will be collected by the MB-Check Tool and added to the zip file for you
  7. NEXT: Create and obtain an mb-check log
  8. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
  9. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, then click "OK"

18 minutes ago, johnooo said:

Is this the zip file you require?

You did fine. Let's try one more thing Before I ask for staff assistance.

Could you try to boot to "Safe Mode with Networking" for me, try to open Malwarebytes (should have better luck), turn on Rootkit scanning and perform a scan.

Boot to Safe Mode with Networking

SanWithRootkitsenabled.png.60bfc73e4c47ba0d3cc07f904775a958.png

•  

21 minutes ago, dcollins said:

Can you clarify what "locked" means please, and where it's happening?

1. Does it happen as soon as you click Restart, and the MB3 window doesn't go away?
  2. Does the computer start to reboot and show a message where it hangs?
  3. Does the computer restart and hangs while starting?

1 When I click on "Restart" the MB3 window does go away

2 Yes the computer starts to reboot, with a message "Restarting" & a circle of moving dots. After a few, perhaps 15 sec's the dots stop moving & the Mouse arrow pointer is locked, It just stays like this & does not restart

3 Don't completely understand this question, but no, computer does not get pass restart green screen

Hope this helps

Please advise if you want more information

Edited by johnooo

It looks like Malwarebytes is crashing as is SetPoint.exe. So let's try two things:

1. First off, update your logitech software by downloading the latest software from their website. Then try the process again to see if that helps.
  2. If you still have issues, please see if you have any files in C:\Windows\Minidump or C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue that are recent, if so, please zip them up and either attach them here or use wetransfer.com to send them to dcollins@malwarebytes.com

44 minutes ago, dcollins said:

It looks like Malwarebytes is crashing as is SetPoint.exe. So let's try two things:

1. First off, update your logitech software by downloading the latest software from their website. Then try the process again to see if that helps.
  2. If you still have issues, please see if you have any files in C:\Windows\Minidump or C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue that are recent, if so, please zip them up and either attach them here or use wetransfer.com to send them to dcollins@malwarebytes.com

1 I have not got Logitech software installed.

Logitech "Setpoint" was installed but I have uninstalled as it was causing problem, known to others as well, after update to Win 10 Version 1709

2 There are no files following these paths. For c/windows/minidump I get a message :- Could not find check spelling. For the other one it gives message "Empty"

So where do we go from here?

2 hours ago, johnooo said:

1 I have not got Logitech software installed.

Logitech "Setpoint" was installed but I have uninstalled as it was causing problem, known to others as well, after update to Win 10 Version 1709

2 There are no files following these paths. For c/windows/minidump I get a message :- Could not find check spelling. For the other one it gives message "Empty"

So where do we go from here?

Do not wish to be rude but are you still thinking about this?

Also what made you think that I had Logitech software installed?

23 minutes ago, johnooo said:

Also what made you think that I had Logitech software installed?

Error: (01/08/2018 12:08:22 PM) (Source: Application Error) (EventID: 1000) (User: )
Description: Faulting application name: SetPoint.exe, version: 6.67.83.0, time stamp: 0x55dd08d2
Faulting module name: MSVCR90.dll, version: 9.0.30729.9317, time stamp: 0x59965248
Exception code: 0x40000015
Fault offset: 0x0000000000042686
Faulting process id: 0x2d78
Faulting application start time: 0x01d38877db842bb3
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPointP\SetPoint.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.9317_none_08e0939fa840d57b\MSVCR90.dll
Report Id: d1bcfed5-4f86-4d48-869f-4009eda39e47
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

4 minutes ago, dcollins said:

Can you try running a scan in Safe Mode, and doing the removals, and then reboot and see if the issue persists?

I did this for Porthos who asked for it in a post 7 hours ago, I can't find post numbers on this forum,, see fragment of the post:-

ou did fine. Let's try one more thing Before I ask for staff assistance.

Could you try to boot to "Safe Mode with Networking" for me, try to open Malwarebytes (should have better luck), turn on Rootkit scanning and perform a scan.

Boot to Safe Mode with Networking

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm of to bed now so will pick up tomorrow

Thanks

Johnooo

12 hours ago, dcollins said:

Can you try running a scan in Safe Mode, and doing the removals, and then reboot and see if the issue persists?

For completeness I have this morning carried this out again.

After putting 3 PUP's into Quarantine going for "Restart"

Green screen with "Restarting" message & dots moving

After 13 sec's lock up

Waited 15 minutes still locked.

I await your response/assistance

Thanks

39 minutes ago, dcollins said:

Can you try deleting the following folder manually, and seeing what happens?

C:\ProgramData\Solvusoft

OK, I've removed this Folder

Ran MWB scan

No new threats found

Old threats, PUP's in Quarentine deleted

Not asked to do Restart

----------------------------------------------------------

Does that mean all is now OK, as I thought I would be asked to Restart?

What have I lost by removing the Folder stated?

Will the problem reoccur?

26 minutes ago, johnooo said:

What have I lost by removing the Folder stated?

You have lost the PUP that MB was having issues deleting.

27 minutes ago, johnooo said:

Will the problem reoccur?

The point of purchasing the paid version of MB is so this stuff does not get installed in the first place.;)

Thanks for the good news.