Real-Time Web Protection won't turn on

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, Interactive said:

The thing is, everything was fine until two days ago,

Now

Might want to add some exclusions to your AV.

How-To: Malwarebytes 3 files to be set as exclusions... | Official Malwarebytes Support

Next and please stay in order.

Let us get a clean install of the current version. 3.3.1

We have another tool called MB-Clean which will automate the whole process for you.

Tool can be found at https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb_clean

1. After downloading the tool run the tool.

2. The tool will automatically clean up the older possibly damaged installation and will ask you for a restart.

3. Restart your system and then the MB-Clean tool will prompt you to re-install the latest product .

4. Click on "Yes" to reinstall MB 3.×.

5. Now you will have the latest product installed. If it does not offer the new install after the reboot you can download and install from here. 

https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mb3

Please let me know if you are still seeing issues after the latest product install.

Mbclean asks me to provide a text file of the results.

The real time protection seems to be on now, and there was a little pling on the malwarebytes icon which I think related to the fact that it didn't think it had done a previous scan, which of course this installation has not. I have asked it to scan.

At least the real time protection seems to be on now. So thanks very much Pothos :)

mb-clean-results.txt

• 2 weeks later...

I have Malwarebytes Premium Version 3.3.1 on my Lenovo ThinkPad X220 laptop. I have the same issue with Real-Time Protection, with one difference: When I click to turn RTP on, it shows "Starting" then almost immediately turns itself off. No matter how many times I click on RTP to turn it on, it turns itself off almost immediately. 

I have no idea why this keeps happening, but it's annoying me to no end. In addition to Malwarebytes Premium, I have AVG Internet Securtity and, of course, Windows 10's built-in Windows Defender. But neither should interfere with MB.

This problem has cropped up with earlier versions of MB Premium as well, which leads me to suspect an internal problem with the software itself.

mb-check-results.zip

Edited by SkeeterVT

4 hours ago, SkeeterVT said:

internal problem with the software itself.

"controllers_version" : "1.0.0",

Can you try installing the latest 3.3.1 over your existing product and let me know if that worked.

Just download the latest installer from : https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mb3

Run the installer on top of your existing product. No need to uninstall. Restart after.

Before seeing this page, I followed the instructions in posting number 27 here (below). After installing version 3, I upgraded to version 3.3.1. I have had the real-protection-is-turned-off scourge for a while. Usually, rebooting the computer (Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit) solved the problem. But as of yesterday, I could not resolve the issue. When I applied this fix, it resolved the issue, although it has been resolved for only about ten minutes so far, so it's possible things could go awry again. But it seems that the most recent upgrade or upgrades have resolved the problem, so I am optimistic. Thank you! 

Hi,

I'm afraid I'm getting this message now - it began 2 days ago on my windows 10 laptop. I've uninstalled and re-installed this software a few months ago and it fixed the problem. I don't' think it's fair that I have to keep uninstalling and reinstalling the software which I have paid my licence for to keep fixing an issue that comes from a software glitch. Can something be done about this?

I have version 3.3.1.

Thanks for any help.

3 hours ago, author01 said:

Thanks for any help.

Let's try and get some logs first so the team can review them and see if they can tell what may be causing your issues....

1. FIRST: Create and obtain Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) logs
  2. Download FRST and save it to your desktop. Tell any program that blocks it to ignore or allow. It IS SAFE. It contains no info that can identify or harm you.
  3. NOTE: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
  4. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
  5. Press the "Scan" button
  6. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
    NOTE: These two files will be collected by the MB-Check Tool and added to the zip file for you
  7. NEXT: Create and obtain an mb-check log
  8. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
  9. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, then click "OK"
  10. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
  11. Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

On 16/12/2017 at 3:17 PM, Porthos said:

Let's try and get some logs first so the team can review them and see if they can tell what may be causing your issues....

2. Download FRST and save it to your desktop. Tell any program that blocks it to ignore or allow. It IS SAFE. It contains no info that can identify or harm you.
  3. NOTE: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
  4. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
  6. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
    NOTE: These two files will be collected by the MB-Check Tool and added to the zip file for you
  9. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, then click "OK"
  11. Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Here's the zip file.

mb-check-results.zip

1 hour ago, author01 said:

Thank you for your reply.

"controllers_version" : "1.0.0",

Can you try installing the latest 3.3.1 over your existing product and let me know if that worked.

Just download the latest installer from : https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mb3

Run the installer on top of your existing product. No need to uninstall. Restart after.

I've got no "Web Protection".  Turn it on, it says starting, then reverts to off.  I started reading this forum to resolve the problem.  It seems by reading the posts here, is that there's not one fix.  You guys at Malwarebytes are giving advice for users to try and much of it doesn't work. (It didn't work for me.)  Some of the advice exceeds the level of my computer knowledge. After paying for the premium version of Malwarebytes, I am very disappointed that I must spend hours of time to and try to learn all about computers to fix this issue.  The reason I use Malwarebytes is so that I don't have to spend a bunch of time working on removing malware or viruses.  But now I find myself spending the same amount trying to make Malwarebytes run properly.  I've tried the rebooting, making sure the properties check boxes are the same as yours, Turning on and off the malwarebytes program,  Is there a real fix that's somewhat easy?  Can't you guys fix this on your end?  

4 minutes ago, KirkH said:

Is there a real fix that's somewhat easy? 

Each computer is different and we cant see whats going on without more info so...

18 minutes ago, KirkH said:

Sorry. Here's the MB check results

mb-check-results.zip

Let's do 2 things in order.

First.

I would like you to add these files to your Anti-Virus exclusions list as mentioned in this FAQ HERE (my list below includes the exe files as well)

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\assistant.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\malwarebytes_assistant.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MbamPt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamtray.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMWsc.exe
  • C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\farflt.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae64.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMChameleon.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMSwissArmy.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mwac.sys

Also please exclude the following folders too: (The complete folder)

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService

NEXT

Let us get a clean install of the current version. 3.3.1

We have another tool called MB-Clean which will automate the whole process for you.

Tool can be found at https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb_clean

1. After downloading the tool run the tool.

2. The tool will automatically clean up the older possibly damaged installation and will ask you for a restart.

3. Restart your system and then the MB-Clean tool will prompt you to re-install the latest product .

4. Click on "Yes" to reinstall MB 3.×.

5. Now you will have the latest product installed. If it does not offer the new install after the reboot you can download and install from here. 

https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mb3

Please let me know if you are still seeing issues after the latest product install.

Ok.  Thanks. I have a very novice question first.  So, my pc has Windows Defender.  When I go to add exclusions I am asked to pick one of four choices, a "File", a "Folder", "File type"  or "process".  What do I choose for the .exe  and the .sys?  Sorry for the novice question. 

23 minutes ago, KirkH said:

Sorry for the novice question. 

Add to MB exclusions the following folders.

C:\Program Files\Windows Defender
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Defender
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender

For Win 10 PRO also add these Folders.
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection

For Defender
Add these to FILE exclusions

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae64.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMChameleon.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMSwissArmy.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mwac.sys
C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\farflt.sys

Add to Process exclusions the following files. (copy and paste works best on these)

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MbamPt.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\assistant.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMWsc.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe

Folders
Also the MB folder in Program Files and the one in Program Data (it is hidden by default)

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes
C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes   (Enable hidden files to add this one.)

Ok Porthos,  I 've got a clean install of 3.3.1 and I added all exclusions to both Malwarebytes and Windows Defender. The new install has completed it's first scan and the "Web Protection" is "On" and it is staying on.  So far, so good.  Is there anything else, that I must do?   

BTW I appreciate your help and volunteering your time.  Thanks!