eM Client install issue

Hi John,

I tried the test on a Windows 7 SP1 64bit machine with MB 3.1.2.1733 with CU 1.0.141.

Ran the setup.msi for the eM Client.

The install continued without any issues and without any blocks from Malwarebytes.

Can you give me a little more details on your setup etc, so we can try to reproduce on a matching environment here.

Thank you,

Hi Nikhil

I also installed this without issue on two other Windows 10.

The Windows 10 computers are all set up the same, all using only Defender and MB.  The computer the issue occurred on is my main desktop PC.  I have been using eM Client for years and installed new versions many times without issue. I installed the same version (7.1.30435) on all 3 computers

The new 7.1 release of eM Client that I incurred this issue on yesterday was 7.1.30435.0. 

Today I downloaded the eM Client install file again from the same link and installed it again, this time it didn't complain about MB.

But the version is now 7.1.30440.0, so they clearly made some quick changes to the installer.  You probably installed that later version.  Unfortunately, you can't tell the version of a eM Client install file until you install it and open the application.

Anyway, I guess all we can do is put this issue on the watch list.

John

Well this is getting serious!

I just installed eM Client 7.1.30453.0 from http://www.emclient.com/dist/v7.1.30453/setup.msi

The issue occurred again (see image 1)

This time I chose "Close the applications and attempt to restart them" >OK

MB Tray icon then disappeared! and I received image 2. 

I clicked OK and the eM Client installation completed successfully

Then the MB tray icon suddenly appeared again!

And yes, MB Self protection is on.

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I just got the same issue again installing eM client 7.1.30638.0 with MB-3.1.2.1733-1.0.160-1.0.2251.  Again the MB tray icon disappeared until the eM Client install finished, then the MB icon magically reappeared again!

This is an intermittent issue and occurs maybe 1 in 5 installs of eM client

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

I had installed the new version of Malwarebytes over the previous one a couple of days ago.

The issue occurs during the installation of eM Client.

But another user also had this issue installing KeePass

So far it has only occurred on my Desktop computer.  I have the same setup on two laptops, and have yet to see the issue on them.

As I said before, this is a difficult issue to reproduce.

This is most likely a race condition. MB3 is probably seeing a new file and trying to scan it, but the installer doesn't like that and wants to kill the process to continue. The reason this is so hard to reproduce is because sometimes the file being scanned is scanned super quickly, and other times it takes just a little too long. You could try excluding the directory you're trying to install to and seeing if that helps

If that was the case, I would expect the issue to occur on the much slower old laptops.

I would rather not compromise security by excluding the folder containing the install file.  I can live with the issue, but the fact remains that it shouldn't happen - is this conflict something that needs to be fixed in Malwarebytes?

@John A you wouldn't exclude the folder where the installation file is, but rather the directory where the files are being installed to. This looks to be an issue on the eM side rather than on the MB3 side. They don't seem to like people looking at their files while they're also trying to look at them. Excluding the folder where those files are being put into should stop MB3 from looking at them though

5 hours ago, nikhils said:

Hello @John A

I was  not able to reproduce the issue with the latest MB build with CU 1.0.160.

Does the OS matter here at all by any chance? Just throwing it out there.

All computers are running Windows 10 1703 15063.413.  I have only seen this issue occur in the last couple of months, so it is possible that a recent Windows 10 quality update may have contributed. 

2 hours ago, dcollins said:

@John A you wouldn't exclude the folder where the installation file is, but rather the directory where the files are being installed to. This looks to be an issue on the eM side rather than on the MB3 side. They don't seem to like people looking at their files while they're also trying to look at them. Excluding the folder where those files are being put into should stop MB3 from looking at them though

OK I understand.  But I would rather not add exceptions. Also it is not only eM Client - KeyPass also has been reported. So there may be other apps that also cause this.