Real Time Protection Option is Grayed Out

I was on google, and when I went to a website, my computer lagged so bad, and my background went black. I rebooted, assuming it was malware, and everything seemed fine. Suddenly, malwarebytes said real time protection was turned off. I tried turning it back on, but the option was grayed out and I couldn't click on it. What should I do about this?

Hello ElliotTheTechGuy and welcome to Malwarebytes....

Can you run a scan with Malwarebytes...?

Open Malwarebytes, select > "settings" > "protection tab"

Scroll down to "Scan Options" ensure Scan for Rootkits and Scan within Archives are both on....

Go back to "DashBoard" select the Blue "Scan Now" tab......

When the scan completes deal with any found entries... Then select "Export Summary" then "Text File (*.txt)" name that log and save , you can copy or attach that to your reply...

Thank you,

Kevin

Not really sure... cancel the scan and run the following;

Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Alternative download option: http://www.techspot.com/downloads/6731-farbar-recovery-scan-tool.html

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system (32 bit or 64 bit). If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

If your security alerts to FRST either, accept the alert or turn your security off to allow FRST to run. It is not malicious or infected in any way...

Be aware FRST must be run from an account with Administrator status...

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.(Windows 8/10 users will be prompted about Windows SmartScreen protection - click More information and Run.)
  • Make sure Addition.txt is checkmarked under "Optional scans"
  • Press Scan button to run the tool....
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The tool will also make a log named (Addition.txt) Please attach that log to your reply.

Thanks for those logs, continue with the following:

Download attached fixlist.txt file (end of reply) and save it to the Desktop, or the folder you saved FRST into. "Do not open that file"
NOTE. It's important that both FRST and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Open FRST and press the Fix button just once and wait.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt) or the folder it was ran from. Please post it to your reply.

Next,

user posted imageEmsisoft Emergency Kit
  • Click Here to download Emsisoft Emergency Kit. The download will automatically start after a moment.
  • Save EmsisoftEmergencyKit.exe to your Desktop.
  • Double click on EmsisoftEmergencyKit.exe (Windows Vista/7/8/10 users: Accept UAC warning if it is enabled). A screen like this will appear:
    user posted image

• Leave everything as it is, then click Extract. This will unpack Emsisoft Emergency Kit to the EEK folder located in the root drive (usually C:\).
  • Once the extraction is done, an icon will appear on your Desktop. Double click it to start Emsisoft Emergency Kit.
    user posted image

• Wait for Emsisoft Emergency Kit to finish loading signatures. A screen like this should appear:
    user posted image

• Choose Yes, then wait for EEK to finish updating.
  • Choose Malware Scan under the Scan button. When EEK asks to activate PUP detection, choose Yes.
  • Wait for the scan to finish.
    user posted image

• If EEK detects something, all detected items will be displayed. Place a checkmark before everything, then choose Quarantine Selected.
  • If Emsisoft Emergency Kit asks to reboot, please do so immediately.
  • The scan log is located in Logs -> Scan Logs. Click on the entry of the latest scan, choose Export and save the report on your Desktop.
    user posted image

• Please Copy and Paste the contents of the scan log in your next reply.

Let me see those logs....

fixlist.txt

Wait. I have the logs.

OK. Farbar Recovery Tool finished. I have the fixlog attached. I WILL BE UPSET IF IT CLEARS COOKIES ON MY BROWSER. Anyway, Emisoft says I have Adware. No wonder SO many ads pop up whenever I use internet. The logs are attached. It says windows movie maker is a PUP but says "no risk". I use this application so please do not write code to delete it.

Fixlog.txt

scan_170523-153425.txt

Excellent, if no more issues or concerns continue to clean up...

Navigate to and delete the following, (if present):

C:\ProgramData\Emsisoft
C:\Users\{your user name}\Desktop\start emergency kit scanner - Shortcut.lnk
C:\EEK
C:\Users\{your user name}\Desktop\EmsisoftEmergencyKit.exe

Next,

Download "Delfix by Xplode" and save it to your desktop.

Or use the following if first link is down:

"Delfix link mirror"

If your security program alerts to Delfix either, accept the alert or turn your security off.

Double Click to start the program. If you are using Vista or higher, please right-click and choose run as administrator

Make Sure the following items are checked:

• Remove disinfection tools <----- this will remove tools we have used.
  • Purge System Restore <--- this will remove all previous and possibly exploited restore points, a new point relative to system status at present will be created.
  • Reset system settings <--- this will reset any system settings back to default that were changed either by us during cleansing or malware/infection

Now click on "Run" and wait patiently until the tool has completed.

The tool will create a log when it has completed. We don't need you to post this.

Any remnant files/logs from tools we have used can be deleted…

Next,

Read the following links to fully understand PC Security and Best Practices, you may find them useful....

Answers to Common Security Questions and best Practices

Do I need a Registry Cleaner?

Take care and surf safe

Kevin... user posted image

• 2 months later...
  • Root Admin

We're sorry. It looks like your topic was somehow overlooked. Due to the length of time we'll go ahead and close this topic now but if you still actually need help please send a private message to one of the Moderators and we'll assist you.Thank you and sorry we missed your topic.