When I run a scan it only gets about 15 minutes in and crashes to a reboot

• Root Admin

The mini dump file does not have enough information as to what is causing it. I don't see any full dump files listed in the logs so your computer is probably not setup to create them.

Please follow steps 1 - 5 in this Microsoft article and then run the scan again to create a dump file and depending on how big it is we may need to use a 3rd party for you to upload it for me.

If the file is larger than about 10MB zipped up then follow the directions below to send me the file.

Upload File(s) to WeTransfer:

• Visit WeTransfer.com
  • Click on I Agree
    4ENbg3P.png
  • Click on the icon on the lower left indicated in the below image
    qKOjzXD.png
  • Select the Link option
    Cyzhcx1.png
  • Click on +Add Files
    CvZMyrC.png
  • Browse to the location of the file and double-click on it or click once on it and select Open
    S5Ty834.png
  • Click on Transfer
    8eYfZGi.png
  • Once the transfer completes, click on Copy link
    fkb0tkR.png
  • Once you receive the Copied! message as indicated below, paste the link into your next reply
    ndpEstA.png

Hi Ron, I've been working to get you the .DMP file according to your directions. My Memory dump was set to Kernel and there was no choice for Complete memory dump. So I was able to edit the registry and change the CrashDumpEnabled parameter from 2 to one which gave me the choice of Complete Memory. Then I ran the scan configured for Custom and C: and Scan For Rootkits checked. It crashed as soon as it got to the the file system section but didn't trigger a memory dump. What seems to be happening, and this has been consistent, is instead of going to a BSOD, a hard reset is being triggered, because it goes straight to a black screen followed by a boot. What I did next was to find a way through enabling a registry key to give me a BSOD using the key combo of CTRL+ SCROLL LOCK + SCROLL LOCK. I loaded MWB, but didn't run it and triggered the BSOD manually. That is the only way I know of to get the full memory dump which I did get. However, since this was not triggered by the scan, there probably is no way to know if this file contains what is needed to find the error. The last bit of difficulty I'm having regarding this is the .DMP file is 16 gig, and WeTransfer will only do up to 2 gig., so it won't let me initiate the upload. I have Dropbox, but that has a 2 gig limit also.

My apologies, but I have not been able to get you the files in the configuration you requested. Is there another means to accomplish this?

Edited by ArKay99

• Root Admin

No, that type of trigger would not produce the expected results. Also, debugging a dump file that big would be difficult even if we had the file.

That sure sounds more like some type of physical memory issue or CPU register issue. Is it possible to remove a couple sticks of memory and retest ?

Pretty odd to be able to trigger a hard reset like that with software.

Ron

Hi Ron,

I obtained a copy of memtest86 and ran that for a while and it showed some errors in one section of my memory. I've ordered 2 more sticks of the same memory and will replace the one that showed a fail and see if that fixes the problem. Will report back after I install the memory and test.

@ArKay99 can you also try the following steps please:

1. Open Malwarebytes
  2. Navigate to Settings -> Application
  3. Turn on the option for Event Log Data
  4. Run a scan that causes the issue
  5. After the issue occurs (after the reboot), please run mb-check again and upload the zip file from your desktop.

This log will have some more detailed output, thanks!

57 minutes ago, dcollins said:

@ArKay99 can you also try the following steps please:

1. Open Malwarebytes
  2. Navigate to Settings -> Application
  3. Turn on the option for Event Log Data
  4. Run a scan that causes the issue
  5. After the issue occurs (after the reboot), please run mb-check again and upload the zip file from your desktop.

This log will have some more detailed output, thanks!

Ok, will do.

Hi Ron and Devin,

I received the new memory and installed it in place of the old memory and the scan completes. I'm humbled to say that I went to a software company to fix my hardware problem. I thank you for your time and patience and apologize for wasting your time and effort.

• Root Admin

Glad we could help. :)If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!