Using win7 but have not updated for a long period...

7 minutes ago, tommybio said:

Question:

Using the latest Malware-bytes Premium so my question is, if I have not updated my win7 for some time now will Malware-bytes Premium still protect me from current Ransomware attacks ?

-Thank you.

Yes but you REALLY should update your Windows as well. Why have you not?

Edited by Porthos

I've just have had problems after updating - like it was more trouble than it was worth.

But my question still stands.

I did say yes to that question.

Consumers and businesses alike should be sure their systems and software are updated with all current patches in order to stop the spread of infection. Both our consumer product, Malwarebytes, and our business product, Malwarebytes Endpoint Security, protect against this threat, since we detect this ransomware. And our anti-ransomware technology will stop any future unknown variants.

Edited by Porthos

21 hours ago, Porthos said:

I did say yes to that question.

Consumers and businesses alike should be sure their systems and software are updated with all current patches in order to stop the spread of infection. Both our consumer product, Malwarebytes, and our business product, Malwarebytes Endpoint Security, protect against this threat, since we detect this ransomware. And our anti-ransomware technology will stop any future unknown variants.

21 hours ago, Porthos said:

Yes but you REALLY should update your Windows as well. Why have you not?

Sorry my mistake - thank you for your reply.

Users have been burned with windows updates.

Sorry my mistake - thank you for your reply.

Users have been burned with windows updates.

That's a bit like saying that I won't wear my seat belt because, if I get into a serious accident, I might get trapped in the car and burnt alive. You might, but you're far more likely to die of impact injuries from not wearing the restraint. 

Edited by TempLost
Error

I think the same way, I stopped updating my Win7 years ago. Because of the updating process running, it made my computer so slow that I had to wait 2 hours everyday till I could use it. In the computer shop they told me that it was Windows Update process which made my 2 computers so slow. And the only thing I read was about blue screens and crashes after installing the updates so I deactivated it.

Edited by erimeix

Personal opinion here, but I would install every Windows Update from Microsoft that becomes available unless you're in an organization that requires special software (and then, your IT team should be looking into how to make that update work with the software).

The amount of people who actually have issues with most Windows Updates is most likely a fraction of a percent. If it's anything larger than that, Microsoft pulls the update. The WannaCry infection this weekend is just one example of many where not installing updates leaves you open to attacks.

Edited by dcollins