Does Malwarebytes free automatically update offline?

Hello MizzLily,

Since you posted this in the Mac Forum, MBAM does not have a Pro Version for Mac at this time. Every time you enable (launch) MBAM it automatically updates. 

Edited by Popeye

Hi Popeye, Porthos,

Thanks - that's helpful. I was wondering as I haven't seen any pop ups the same way I did with my anti virus softwares where they would announce the database has been updated etc etc

I would also like to enable auto scanning but have seen this is the pro version functionality only.

MBAM on a Mac is totally different than MBAM on Windows. Like they say a "Mac is in a totally different world". All Mac users have is launch MBAM (that will update MBAM), then run a scan.  That's it. No Auto Scanning, No Real Time. ( But I hear they may be working on real time )  Update takes a second, if that and a scan takes me about 30 seconds. 

1 hour ago, MizzLily said:

So I assume in the next update they will have scheduled scanning we can setup ourselves?

I don't know if this will happen on the next update but I do remember @treed the Mod and Mac Expert posting here may be in the near future MBAM for Mac will go real time or Automatic Scan.

Edited by Popeye
Add Link.

• Staff
On 4/21/2017 at 8:16 AM, MizzLily said:

I am new to MBAM and have the free version.  I was wondering does it automatically update its database as it finds new threats online as well as offline or do you need to purchase the Pro version?

Yes, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac does update its database automatically. It does so every time you open the app, assuming there's a network connection.

As has been pointed out already, there's no Premium version for the Mac yet, but that is coming later this year. That will include real-time protection, but no scheduled scans yet.