Malware-bytes almost messed up my pc (why)?

Hey Malware-bytes 

And everyone on the forum 

So,

I just scanned my pc today and by surprise i found that i had 13 PUP's on my system and my system is SUPER clean 

I never had anything show up before and am using malware-bytes for 3-4 years now 

So i see the threads i press "Quarantine selected" i wait and then i get a msg saying i need to restart my computer 

i press YES and then when i go to put in my password and log in and i see the loading screen saying 

Windows is creating your profile or something like that and my pc was like i installed windows 5 min ago 

and i was like "WTF is going on here" 

So i went back and RESTORED everything and thankfully everything is working as it was now 

But my Question to you guys and to Malware-bytes is 

Why did this happened ?

Here is a screenshot below of the selected PUP's 

i want to point out that this is the FIRST TIME EVER since using Malware bytes that had something like this happen to me

2017-03-17_0452.png

Me too. I support about 20 people with I.T. issues; and all with this combination of Advance System Care and Malwarebytes. They have existed together quite happily together for years. Now I am having to go on all these machines and sort them out.

Get a grip Malwarebytes or at least explain what has changed.

PJ

4 hours ago, Magman said:

Me too. I support about 20 people with I.T. issues; and all with this combination of Advance System Care and Malwarebytes. They have existed together quite happily together for years. Now I am having to go on all these machines and sort them out.

Get a grip Malwarebytes or at least explain what has changed.

PJ

Wait soo you had the same issue two??

Sooo do you know what do i do 

I uninstalled Iobit advanced system care cuz i don't need it but what the heck do i do with this issues are they posing a thread to my computer 

or is it Malware-bytes fault?

If you like IOBIT, mark them "ignore", or de-select PUPs from your scanning profile. Alternately, uninstall IOBIT separately and rerun the scan. If there are still remnants, I would suggest making a full drive image before allowing MBAM to remove these.

10 minutes ago, Telos said:

If you like IOBIT, mark them "ignore", or de-select PUPs from your scanning profile. Alternately, uninstall IOBIT separately and rerun the scan. If there are still remnants, I would suggest making a full drive image before allowing MBAM to remove these.

No 

what i want is 

What can i delete from the list above that wont destroy my pc again 

WHATS SAFE TO DELETE AND WHATS NOT 

Can i delete the registry keys or Advanced system care?

Edited by MalwareKing

10 minutes ago, MalwareKing said:

What can i delete from the list above that wont destroy my pc again 

WHATS SAFE TO DELETE AND WHATS NOT 

Can i delete the registry keys or Advanced system care?

12 minutes ago, Telos said:

There is your solution.

iObit Advanced System Care is a registry cleaner and a PC optimizer.  Such programs can do significant damage to your computer registry.  Unless you have a specific problem that requires editing the registry, it's better to leave the registry alone.  iOBit has a long history of including various malware along with their "free" programs.  I recommend that you remove any and all iOBit programs from your computer and scan with malwarebytes to clean up the PUP's.  If your computer was "messed up" the first culprit on the list is iOBit.

@MalwareKing there should be no issues removing those files/registry entries. I just tested this on my personal machine to verify. However, as I mentioned above, we have been seeing reports of people having issues with being logged in to a temporary profile after removing some identified threats. What I would recommend is to remove those threats and then reboot. Once you reboot, if you get logged into a temporary profile, try rebooting once more and see if you can log in to your normal user.

28 minutes ago, dcollins said:

@MalwareKing there should be no issues removing those files/registry entries. I just tested this on my personal machine to verify. However, as I mentioned above, we have been seeing reports of people having issues with being logged in to a temporary profile after removing some identified threats. What I would recommend is to remove those threats and then reboot. Once you reboot, if you get logged into a temporary profile, try rebooting once more and see if you can log in to your normal user.

YES 

This is exactly what happened to me 

I quarantined all the PUP's and when i restarted my PC it got me into a temporary profile 

and then i restored everything and my PC was fine again 

You say now if i delete all of them and restart my pc i should get a temporary profile and the restart it again and it will be fine 

Have you also tested the exact same files and registry keys i am presenting

29 minutes ago, dcollins said:

Yep, I used the same threat with the same keys/files. I was able to replicate your issue so that should help us fix it in the future.

Okay soo

I do what you are suggesting and the problem should go away right? 

So to be perfectly clear here

1. I run thread scan with Malware-bytes

2. I get these 13 threads with the 4 registry keys and 2 values as i show in my picture above 

3. I press "Quarantine selected"

4. Malware-bytes restart's my PC 

5. I get into a temporary profile 

6. I restart my PC again 

7. My PC is working fine now

That's all i have to do right?

What happens if i reboot my machine again and i cant get into my normal profile

and am stuck with the temporary profile what then?

Edited by MalwareKing

Are you also making routine backups?  And, you can also un-Quarantine anything and everything at anytime, and then comes the Restart.

"...What happens if i reboot my machine again and i cant get into my normal profile.  and am stuck with the temporary profile what then?"

While I cannot answer that question directly, I will recommend making routine backups; and just before you run MBAM, you can use tweaking.com's Registry Backup/Restore utility to make a registry backup.  And, I have my computers set to make routine Registry Backups - just in case...

Edited by RolandJS

On 17/03/2017 at 3:24 AM, MalwareKing said:

Hey Malware-bytes 

And everyone on the forum 

So,

I just scanned my pc today and by surprise i found that i had 13 PUP's on my system and my system is SUPER clean 

I never had anything show up before and am using malware-bytes for 3-4 years now 

So i see the threads i press "Quarantine selected" i wait and then i get a msg saying i need to restart my computer 

i press YES and then when i go to put in my password and log in and i see the loading screen saying 

Windows is creating your profile or something like that and my pc was like i installed windows 5 min ago 

and i was like "WTF is going on here" 

So i went back and RESTORED everything and thankfully everything is working as it was now 

But my Question to you guys and to Malware-bytes is 

Why did this happened ?

Here is a screenshot below of the selected PUP's 

i want to point out that this is the FIRST TIME EVER since using Malware bytes that had something like this happen to me

2017-03-17_0452.png

A workaround for the corrupt user profile which is indicative when you receive the configuring profile message which works for me is to enable/set 'delay protection at startup' to 60 seconds. Not had the profile corruption since.

• 2 years later...
Guest Paula
On 3/17/2017 at 7:01 PM, MalwareKing said:

Yeah but 

I really dont know much about pc's so am asking simply 

IS IT SAFE TO DELETE THE FILES AND REGISTRY KEYS THAT I HAVE IN THE RED CYRCLE?

I have completely Uninstalled advanced system care and these come up as well

2017-03-17_2057.png