Computer completely infected

Well that would suggest a couple of problems, malware or maybe a 3rd party service blocks explorer at boot. Boot back to Normal mode, do what you do to get explorer active...

Now I want you to set your system up for a clean boot, that is basically all none MS services disabled, The full instructions are at the following link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

When you have clean boot settings done re-boot and see if windows loads correctly.....

Its almost 1am local time for me, i`ll have to call time and catch up after some sleep......

Okay I had a few windows updates and thought now a good time. I ran and completed them and on restart the system booted up perfectly (except it started up literally everything in msconfig's startup list) 

I then restarted to confirm it was solved and unfortunately the problem has begun again.

Now going to try what you said and will edit this post with the results.

Okay so I've done what's been asked. Unchecked all startup items and and non-windows services... and it starts up perfectly.

I then spent a bit more time fiddling with different services/startup items and couldn't pinpoint what exactly was causing the issue through trial and error but it seems like I can check a few items fairly safely (malwarebytes service and startup) and have the same results... not sure where to go from now and I'm not sure if it's tiredness or not but I seem to be having varied results eg. doing a clean boot and 1/3 times it's been not working.. which in my head doesn't make sense but I feel I may just be missing something.

Another note is that when I bootup to a black screen the system seems considerably slower when opening msconfig (taking up to a minute) and explorer.exe seems to be prone to crashing and not responding. When I do a successful clean boot msconfig starts up instantaneously and everything seems fine (other than still not having startup items but I suppose it's better than explorer.exe being broken.)

The idea of clean boot is purely diagnostic, first all MS services are hidden then all of 3rd party services are disabled. On boot the issue either clears or not, if it clears we are then confident the problem lies within one or more of te 3rd party services....

So we now have to find the culprit by process of elimination. Lets say there are 20 3rd party services. We go through the process again, with MS services hidden we enable the top half or the 3rd party services (10) and reboot.

If the issue is still cleared we know its in the bottom half (10) of disabled services, the top half (10) are not at fault so can be left enabled. We go through that process again, this time we enable the top half of the remaining disabled 3rd party services (5) and reboot. If the issue is still cleared we know it is among the remaining 5 disabled services...

I know this way is a bit long winded but at least we will find the cause....  Obviously if the issue did not clear with a clean boot then 3rd party services are not at fault....

Does that make sense...?

Hello monkeymii,

Have a read at the following link regarding Origin Web Helper Service:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin/Origin-Web-Helper-Service-causing-slow-windows-startup/td-p/5562531

The fix seems to be change the startup type from "Automatic" to "Manual"

Let me know if we are ok to clean up..... Obviously if you have any remaining issues or concerns we will look at those first...

Thank you,

Kevin...

Okay so I changed it to manual in services.msc and turned it on in msconfig, this didn't work. Left it on manual and took it out from msconfig and weirdly, when I rebooted it still had the black screen even though the web helper service wasn't enabled. One more restart and it's back to working again without changing any settings. I'm not really sure what to do about it but I suppose it's not an essential service that I can do without? If that's the case I'm willing to just leave my system as it is now and call this done :)

Really appreciate your help through all of this.

If all is well run the following to clean up:

Download "Delfix by Xplode" and save it to your desktop.

Or use the following if first link is down:

"Delfix link mirror"

If your security program alerts to Delfix either, accept the alert or turn your security off.

Double Click to start the program. If you are using Vista or higher, please right-click and choose run as administrator

Make Sure the following items are checked:

• Remove disinfection tools <----- this will remove tools we have used.
  • Purge System Restore <--- this will remove all previous and possibly exploited restore points, a new point relative to system status at present will be created.
  • Reset system settings <--- this will reset any system settings back to default that were changed either by us during cleansing or malware/infection

Now click on "Run" and wait patiently until the tool has completed.

The tool will create a log when it has completed. We don't need you to post this.

Any remnant files/logs from tools we have used can be deleted…

Next,

Read the following links to fully understand PC Security and Best Practices, you may find them useful....

Answers to Common Security Questions and best Practices

Do I need a Registry Cleaner?

Take care and surf safe

Kevin... user posted image

• 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Glad we could help. :)If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!