Final release 3.0.6.1469

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as a standalone scanner since 2008. Now with v3.0.xxx there is 90-100% CPU usage when running a quick scan. Not going to waste my time with a full scan test. I have tried all three versions of 3.0.xxx. All were exhibiting same behavior. Just uninstalled and reinstalled Malwarebytes Anti-Malware v2.2.1.1043 for the third time. High CPU usage is totally unacceptable. On the Malwarebytes forums it is stated that the full CPU resources are used to "speedup scans". Seems counter productive to me... If not corrected I'll have to find another standalone scanner.

Rob
_

RRS1944: The destructively high CPU utilization during the scanning was so far only noticed by a few users and seems to have no priority at the moment (the main occupation is that v.3 works so far without annoying).
But the topic will be noticed sooner or later, here it is simply to have patience,
fatalism brings nothing here.

16 hours ago, ZVAXX said:

RRS1944: The destructively high CPU utilization during the scanning was so far only noticed by a few users and seems to have no priority at the moment (the main occupation is that v.3 works so far without annoying).
But the topic will be noticed sooner or later, here it is simply to have patience,
fatalism brings nothing here.

Check out this thread: https://malwaretips.com/threads/malwarebytes-3-0-uses-a-lot-of-cpu-ram-and-slows-down-my-computers-how-about-you.67196/

Rob

_

Thank you. At the end of the threat there is nothing new to report, which has not been mentioned here. Except that there is no talk about the latest version. With this I'm now satisfied, except the grotesque CPU management with the scanning.
The developers will have to change that, no question at all.

On 28/01/2017 at 1:27 AM, Cake said:

Wow, that's really terrible! I would stop using it since 74c isn't healthy for any portable device... It could melt plastic parts around the CPU :blush: :excl:

Damn... had better stop gaming and doing video encoding on this machine also then... since that keeps the CPU die temp above 74C also!!!  :o :P 

More seriously, the issue here is once MBAM is in a "not annoy the cr#p out of the user every time they start their computer" and also doesn't "lets just slow or stop your internet access for a while to play with your mind" ... (which since 3.06 it seems to have done on my lappy... haven't tried on the desktop... just pulled MBAM completely until it has had a couple more minor revisions... or maybe even until it gets to 3.10... depends on the reports... but I digress...) once MBAM settles down in terms of the resident scanning startup reliability, the next area needing focus is the priority of the user triggered manual scans... either just as process priority, or preferably as cpu core/thread priority (so the user can force it to only use 1 of 2 or 4 threads, hence it will only use 25/50% of the processor power, hence not flog your machine) so I hope to see that mentioned as a added feature in a changelog soon!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I've been a long time user of Malwarebytes Anti Malware, since 2010, or shortly before, and I've never encountered a problem I couldn't deal with until this latest version. It took my Monster from booting to the desktop within 11 seconds to a black screen with only the white cursor after the windows logo, which lasts a full 60 seconds, absolutely unacceptable. I have several lifetime keys and several PC's, this has happened in every instance that I have installed this latest version of mbam. I actually joined the forum just to reply to this thread.

Current specs on my Monster

Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark1

Intel i7 4770K

16 GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance

EVGA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti FTW

Samsung 850 Pro SSD

EVGA Supernova 1200 P2 80Plus Platinum PSU

Windows 7 Ultimate X64.

I am also running Norton Security Premium.

I have tried running the system without Norton installed just to see if it was a conflict issue, the situation does not improve with Norton uninstalled. The only thing that puts my baby back to normal is uninstalling Malwarebytes from my system. Please fix MBAM or unfortunately I will no longer be able to recommend it to my customers or my friends and family, and I will not be using it myself either as the boot time issue is a deal killer for me, I noticed also that this latest version of  MBAM has been using a ridiculous amount of RAM, that doesn't matter much to me as I have plenty to spare but on the majority of systems out there running 4 gigs at best it is simply crippling. I have several business clients using MBAM and they have complained to me about the system performance, I have unfortunately had to suggest they remove it from their systems entirely, and have gone and done so myself. I don't know how such a snafu could have eluded the developers. This is tragic and will cost the company big, as people are removing it from their systems left and right. Furthermore, downloading MBAM results in downloading this latest, very broken version and I have found no legitimate way to download an older more stable version. 

Your input is welcome and appreciated, thank you.