1.39 update behavior

With other program updates, the program closes, the update is installed, and then the program re-opens (after a considerable lag with the previous updates to 1.37 and 1.38), and there is the message that the program update to whatever version (be it 1.37, 1.38, and so forth) has been successful. With both my computers yesterday, I didn't receive this message and the program did not re-open after the program update 1.39 was installed. I had to manually re-open it and then I checked for updates and then the database was updated. Everything appears to be fine, the program shows that version 1.39 is running and I've run scans with no problem. Is this update behavior normal?

If you have the time, consider a CHKDSK & Defrag, MBAM version 1.39 has updates comming out now. When you get updates you could grab them from thousands of servers worldwide...

EDIT: the program should respond like 1.38 did, maybe the 1st time after you installed 1.39. it takes a bit for the drivers to settle. When you installed 1.39 it did ask you for a re-start correct? If Its not working like 1.38, post back with the exact issue. Its an updated version 1.39

Version 1.39 (July 13th, 2009)

1. (FIXED) Installer uses /updateshowdialog now instead of /runupdate.

2. (FIXED) /runupdate no longer displays program update dialog. Only /updateshowdialog does.

3. (FIXED) Problem removing registry items with (default) values.

4. (FIXED) Minor issues with 32-bit context menu. (64-bit coming soon).

5. (FIXED) Multiple significant issues with protection module.

6. (ADDED) Scanner returns error codes (error levels) for batch file users.

7. (ADDED) Protection module now logs errors and threats to a log file.

Unrelated to your question, but I see that you are running service pack two, is there a service pack three available for your computer models?

Just wondering, because as far as I know there should be and you should have the newest service pack installed.

Oh, I should mention, too, that I'm running Windows XP Pro SP2 on one computer and Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 SP2 on the other computer. Both have IE 7 installed, AVG free 8.5.

Unrelated to your question, but I see that you are running service pack two, is there a service pack three available for your computer models?

Just wondering, because as far as I know there should be and you should have the newest service pack installed.

:( Was it you that mentioned this to me once before already? I can't remember, I think it was someone on this board.

I did look into it, and with my laptop, I found out that other users of this model and its software have had some problems with SP3. At this point, it would be a big hassle and not without its risks--the risk of not being able to access the internet and having trouble fixing it. I'm not willing to go through with that unless I am forced to do so. I haven't researched the other computer just yet, but it's running fine, MS is still providing updates. So for now I'll stay with what I've got. :)

in small towns like mine, we have users using WinXP with no services packs, or SP1 only, since there on a phone line. They asked me for advice on a malware/spyware program & I advised MBAM. Some have MBAM in this town. and the updates, for mbam take 10 mins, @ 28.8... Remember when my DSL was down for 10 days? It took me 15 mins. for a mbam download on a phone-line. but once he has the updates, he should have no issues, the lag he is having, I would next be wondering how long it is? ... hopefully he/she will post back after a chkdsk & defrag. The other option is to send MS $3.00 for the CD rom for SP2 & another $3.00 for SP3.... but hotspots are slowly comming to this town.

:( Was it you that mentioned this to me once before already? I can't remember, I think it was someone on this board.

I did look into it, and with my laptop, I found out that other users of this model and its software have had some problems with SP3. At this point, it would be a big hassle and not without its risks--the risk of not being able to access the internet and having trouble fixing it. I'm not willing to go through with that unless I am forced to do so. I haven't researched the other computer just yet, but it's running fine, MS is still providing updates. So for now I'll stay with what I've got. :)

No I don't recall asking you for a CHKDSK & Defrag. but SP3 should present no harm! However I'll run this past the senior staff, and see if I can get you a reply ... I know of no-one running xp that had an issue with SP3, and if so, MS besides mbam will lend a hand in any issues that may be created. Please check back for any replies today/tomorrow for further comments.

SP3 is a creation of MS. I ran into no one yet that had an issue. (if someone else did, they can post a comment here)

sound fair? let us know if we can do anything else for you...regards...

The only issues I've seen with SP3 so far have been with systems that have AMD processors (mostly HP), but there's a fix for the problem. There's also been a minor issue with users who had Norton installed and running while SP3 was being installed, but Symantec (Norton) has a free patch to fix that issue as well.

I'm seeing this same sort of behavior with version 1.39. On my main machine, it asked me to reboot after installation, but on a virtual machine, it behaved just like the first post described. No reboot prompt, no "the program had been updated" message, nothing. Also, the database was not automatically updated in either case. Both program installations seem to work fine, though, as far as I can tell.

No I don't recall asking you for a CHKDSK & Defrag. but SP3 should present no harm! However I'll run this past the senior staff, and see if I can get you a reply ... I know of no-one running xp that had an issue with SP3, and if so, MS besides mbam will lend a hand in any issues that may be created. Please check back for any replies today/tomorrow for further comments.

SP3 is a creation of MS. I ran into no one yet that had an issue. (if someone else did, they can post a comment here)

sound fair? let us know if we can do anything else for you...regards...

Yardbird, it was Mountaintree16 who asked me about Windows SP3. :(

I don't want you to go to any extra work or trouble over this, but it was very nice of you to offer. I've already looked into it on message boards for people with my specific brand of laptop computer, which is Lenovo. The upgrade could be done, but it will involve a bit of work and trouble on my part, along with some risk. Other Lenovo users have had problems connecting to the internet after installing SP3. The only reason I looked into it in the first place was because MS itself issued a caution about wireless internet connection problems and suggested individuals check with the appropriate manufacturers first. The consensus we reached on the Lenovo board is that if SP2 is working for me, making the change is not necessary at this time.

I appreciate your offer to help, but I'm going to stay with what I have for now.

Exile360, my other computer does happen to be an HP with an AMD processor, so it's good to know that there's a fix available. I'll tuck away that information for future reference.

When I was looking into installing SP3, MS's advice was to turn off AV software during the installation. I normally don't turn off my AV to do Windows updates, so I'm glad I found that advice.

xx521xx, I've never had Malwarebytes ask for a reboot after a program update, but then I'm using the free version.

I posted my original post both to ask if this was to be expected and to let the developers know if this is not what they were expecting. From what I can see, the Malwarebytes developers are very interested in how their product performs and very responsive to feedback, which I think is great!

xx521xx, I've never had Malwarebytes ask for a reboot after a program update, but then I'm using the free version.

I'm using the free version, too. It doesn't usually ask me to reboot when updating, but the latest update did (only one installation out of two, though). I'm just trying to figure out why one MBAM installation asked me to reboot and the other didn't. And if it's not the expected behavior, I want to make sure the developers know about it.

From what I can see, the Malwarebytes developers are very interested in how their product performs and very responsive to feedback, which I think is great!

I agree. :(

Yardbird, it was Mountaintree16 who asked me about Windows SP3. :(

I don't want you to go to any extra work or trouble over this, but it was very nice of you to offer. I've already looked into it on message boards for people with my specific brand of laptop computer, which is Lenovo. The upgrade could be done, but it will involve a bit of work and trouble on my part, along with some risk. Other Lenovo users have had problems connecting to the internet after installing SP3. The only reason I looked into it in the first place was because MS itself issued a caution about wireless internet connection problems and suggested individuals check with the appropriate manufacturers first. The consensus we reached on the Lenovo board is that if SP2 is working for me, making the change is not necessary at this time.

I appreciate your offer to help, but I'm going to stay with what I have for now.

Exile360, my other computer does happen to be an HP with an AMD processor, so it's good to know that there's a fix available. I'll tuck away that information for future reference.

When I was looking into installing SP3, MS's advice was to turn off AV software during the installation. I normally don't turn off my AV to do Windows updates, so I'm glad I found that advice.

I posted my original post both to ask if this was to be expected and to let the developers know if this is not what they were expecting. From what I can see, the Malwarebytes developers are very interested in how their product performs and very responsive to feedback, which I think is great!

@ Amethyst

You don't have to get (SP3) if you don't want to. Which does contain some windows updates, that you will get the 2nd tuesday of each month, more updates to catch up to SP3 . More than others, since you have SP2. We understand! Post back here if we can be of any help! if theres a comment or issues.... regards...

I'm using the free version, too. It doesn't usually ask me to reboot when updating, but the latest update did (only one installation out of two, though). I'm just trying to figure out why one MBAM installation asked me to reboot and the other didn't. And if it's not the expected behavior, I want to make sure the developers know about it.

I agree. :(

@ xx521xx Sometimes the drivers have to "settle in so to say" if you have any issues, problems, that we can be of any help with please post back anytime... regards