Malwarebytes error code

Hi,

Today I tried to run Malwarebytes which runs and starts a scan. Very shortly after a few files are being checked I then get an error 'runtime error 5 - invalid call or procedure'.

This has never happened before. I updated the program via the ui and the result is the same.

This appears to be a VB error. Can anyone throw any light on this problem?

I am not having trouble running other malware av programs such as Superantispyware, Kaspersky etc.

Hi Louiscar! welcome to the forum. try going over this below:

Please review the post here for assistance.

Also these files should be in the trust area of your AV/Firewall

Now, Open the same area: Virus & Spyware Controls

Click on Prevent Unauthorized Changes

Click on Exceptions List

Now click Add Program

Add the following files:

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam-dor.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

Please review the above & post back with your report....

• Staff
Hi,

Today I tried to run Malwarebytes which runs and starts a scan. Very shortly after a few files are being checked I then get an error 'runtime error 5 - invalid call or procedure'.

This has never happened before. I updated the program via the ui and the result is the same.

This appears to be a VB error. Can anyone throw any light on this problem?

I am not having trouble running other malware av programs such as Superantispyware, Kaspersky etc.

If what yardbird does not work try this:

Please download Visual Basic Runtimes from the link below and install them:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Reboot the system after it's installed.

This should eliminate the problem.

If not, Uninstall our software using the following third party uninstaller:

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninst...e_download.html

Reboot the system.

Then reinstall Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from the link below (downloads do not differ, registration with your ID & key activate the Pro features - this link generates any number of our 'official' download sites, not just malwarebytes.org):

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php

Pay close attention to the actual download link. Many download sites have big giant sponsored ads from other vendors of other types of software which may confuse you. That's how they make money, by placing these ads prominently so you see them first.

Ignore all 'Recommended downloads', these will be the ads.

Hi Tom

Thanks for the tips, however, nothing so far has worked.

The VB runtime seems to run so quick that I'm a bit suspicious that it's not really doing anything. I get a quick view of a file progress bar but then it zips through and there's no confirmation dialog box to say anything was done.

I used the uninstaller next and reinstalled/

Malwarebytes on a quick scan seems to get as far as mpr.dll and then pops up the error. I think this is probably a false one but I decided to check that dll on virus total and it's fine.

I ran this because something strange happened to my IIS. It's hanging on an init thread (name I can't recall right now), and using 100% cpu. This happened suddenly and if IIS websites are started then just running IE is enough to kick it into action.

I got suspicious as this just happened last night after I had used it with no problems on my site.

The problems might be unrelated but it's just arousing my suspicions somewhat even though I can't see anything wrong or anything unusual in hijackthis or running Kaspersky or superantispyware.

The last time I ran Malwarebytes everything was fine.

I meant to ask. Is this VB error the kind of reaction one might get from an infection? From what I understand the usual thing when malware want to stop a detector running, it usually stops it from running completely.

Am I right therefore to assume that this is more likely some kind of corruption?

Hi Louiscar! welcome to the forum. try going over this below

Thanks Yardbird, and just to reply to this, there are no issues with firewall and I had read the thread first before posting.

I noted the vb trapable errors but I've no idea why it's happening.

The best way to get you fixed. Is if you follow the instructions below. They can read your logs, & see where the problem lies.

Let me know if theres any questions?

Scan and post logs - read note at bottom in green

If you're having Malware related issues with your computer that you're unable to resolve.

1. Please read and follow the instructions provided here: I'm infected - What do I do now?
  2. If needed please post your logs in a NEW topic here: Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs
  3. When posting logs please do not use any Quote, Code, or other tags. Please copy/paste directly into your post and do not attach files unless requested.
  • Please do not post any logs in the General forum. We do not work on any logs posted in the General forum.
  • Please do not install any software or use any removal/scanning tool except for those you're requested to run by the Helper that will assist you.
  • Using these other tools often makes the cleanup task more difficult and time consuming.
  • If you have already submitted for assistance at one of the other support sites on the Internet then you should not post a new log here, you should stay working with the Helper from that site until the issue is resolved.
  • Do not assume you're clean because you don't see something in the logs. Please wait until the person assisting you provides feedback.
  • There are often many others that require asistance as well, so please be patient. If no one has responded within 48 hours then please go ahead and post a request for review
  • NOTE: If for some reason you're unable to run some or any of the tools in the first link, then skip that step and move on to the next one. If you can't even run HijackThis, then just proceed and post a NEW topic as shown in the second link describing your issues and someone will assist you as soon as they can.

Do you want to post Logs in the HiJack Forum? Or see if I can get an expert to review your post here?

I see nothing new in Hijack that alarms me at the moment so I'd go for the latter for the moment. We could go that way if things point to an infection.

I am slightly bothered that I've perhaps not been able to repair the VB redistributable (as per my explanation above), so if someone can describe the behaviour of that file - it may be that it's normal and done it's job.

The best way to get you fixed. Is if you follow the instructions below. They can read your logs, & see where the problem lies.

Let me know if theres any questions?

Ok I'll post the hijack log with a quick explanation of why - (can't run malwarebytes) and get that checked out.

You can scan & post logs in the HiJack Forum, once they start they will find any problems. Or you can post under this post, with what you suspect? which an admin or expert may send you to the HiJack Forum? anyway unless he advise's otherwise.. All depends on how fast you want to get the issue fixed up.

You can scan & post logs in the HiJack Forum, once they start they will find any problems. Or you can post under this post, with what you suspect? which an admin or expert may send you to the HiJack Forum? anyway unless he advise's otherwise.. All depends on how fast you want to get the issue fixed up.

Ok I've done that with a ref to this thread.

Well really I am trying to get the IIS problem fixed and some kind of elimintation of any malware would be a good starting point as I've never had this particular problem crop up with IIS before.

The only clue I've got is that I had to press the reset button when an app hung so it's possible something got corrupted. Always a bad thing but I had no alternative. Scandisk was ok after but this is more likely to be the reason. I was using IIS ok shortly to check some recent site edits.

It's anxiety city at the moment as I have a lot of work that needs to be done.

Well just an update to say I am now pretty sure that my IIS problems were due to my abnormal shutdown. I've fixed that.

I can safely say the problem is unlreated though to Malwarebytes error. The problem with this is still present.

I'm wondering if there's a way to confirm whether the VB runtime files are the problem or it's something conflicting with mbam.

Has any mbam expert been able to get to this yet?

@ Louiscar

I just saw your HiJackLog in the HJK forum, no expert has looked at your log yet. They are a little backed up. Also since version 1.39 of Malwarebytes came out today! Which version do you have 1.38 or 1.39??

Posted above here post no. # 3 are links by our mod for VB installs. If you can, your HJK log may be looked at tonight-early morning...

• Staff
I meant to ask. Is this VB error the kind of reaction one might get from an infection? From what I understand the usual thing when malware want to stop a detector running, it usually stops it from running completely.

Am I right therefore to assume that this is more likely some kind of corruption?

Typically they're unrelated to malware but on occasion it happens.

More along files corrupted missing.

@ Louiscar

I just saw your HiJackLog in the HJK forum, no expert has looked at your log yet. They are a little backed up. Also since version 1.39 of Malwarebytes came out today! Which version do you have 1.38 or 1.39??

1.38 I guess I'd better give 1.39 a try although it wouldn't be logical if that worked unless it happens to have vb redistributable s packed with it.

Not a problem with time on this one I got IIS working which was the really urgent task, this one is now a curiousity which would be good to fix at some point.

Posted above here post no. # 3 are links by our mod for VB installs. If you can, your HJK log may be looked at tonight-early morning...

Ok I did try the VB reinstall. It runs very fast with no confirmation. I don't know if this is normal but I kind of suspected that perhaps it's not doing much.