I had backdoor.0access. What does it do?

kurt2121

Some sites say it monitors internet browsing activity, some others say it steals files. Since every different company seems to have a different name for everything, its hard to determine what is applicable and what isn't.

For example, Mcaffe says it monitors users internet activity, but the article I read that for is about "ZeroAccess". Is that the same as what I had?

Also, I seen a bit about rootkit.0access detected on malwarebytes. Is it possible to get only backdoor.0access without actually getting rootkit.0access?

I don't know if malwarebytes has a threat encyclapedia ( I haven't found it), but if you guys do have one, could you link me to it?

Hello and welcome back, @kurt2121:

As far as I know, Malwarebytes does not currently maintain a threat encyclopedia -- doing so would consume vast resources that are probably better devoted to other purposes.
That's because malware changes day to day, sometimes hour to hour.

There are many general computer security fora, such as Wilderssecurity, bleepingcomputer, and others, that maintain vigorous discussions about different types of malware.
And there is a Malwarebytes blog HERE.

As far as your own recent infections, it's really hard to say precisely what was going on with your system based on the limited information we have.
Malware name alone is not typically enough information upon which to be able to provide definitive advice.
But, yes, that particular zeroaccess malware can be quite dangerous and damaging.
That particular infection has been around a long time -- a routine internet search should turn up quite a few resources about it.

As @AdvancedSetup mentioned in your other thread:

Where, why, what it may have gotten or transmitted is pretty much impossible to say without an extensive forensic analysis at the time it happened.

If you think you might now be infected, then I suggest perhaps taking advantage of the free, expert help we offer.
To do that, I suggest starting with the advice here: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers
It explains the options for free, expert help >>AND<< the preliminary steps to expedite the process.
The trained malware expert will guide you through scanning, cleanup and repair.

Cheers,

2 hours ago, daledoc1 said:

Hello and welcome back, @kurt2121:

As far as I know, Malwarebytes does not currently maintain a threat encyclopedia -- doing so would consume vast resources that are probably better devoted to other purposes.
That's because malware changes day to day, sometimes hour to hour.

There are many general computer security fora, such as Wilderssecurity, bleepingcomputer, and others, that maintain vigorous discussions about different types of malware.
And there is a Malwarebytes blog HERE.

As far as your own recent infections, it's really hard to say precisely what was going on with your system based on the limited information we have.
Malware name alone is not typically enough information upon which to be able to provide definitive advice.
But, yes, that particular zeroaccess malware can be quite dangerous and damaging.
That particular infection has been around a long time -- a routine internet search should turn up quite a few resources about it.

As @AdvancedSetup mentioned in your other thread:

If you think you might now be infected, then I suggest perhaps taking advantage of the free, expert help we offer.
To do that, I suggest starting with the advice here: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers
It explains the options for free, expert help >>AND<< the preliminary steps to expedite the process.
The trained malware expert will guide you through scanning, cleanup and repair.

Cheers,

I'm not super concerned about removing it, since its an old computer and I don't use it anymore. I'm just trying to learn more about it.

Is it safe to assume that what Mcaffe calls ZeroAccess is the same as backdoor.0access? Or could they be entirely different? All the different naming is what gets me confused.

2 hours ago, daledoc1 said:

Hi:

5 hours ago, kurt2121 said:

I'm not super concerned about removing it, since its an old computer and I don't use it anymore. I'm just trying to learn more about it.

I would not use the computer for anything online unless/until it has been thoroughly checked and cleaned of remaining malware remnants, as previously suggested.

A routine internet search engine search should turn up plenty of resources on reputable computer security sites about this particular malware, as it has been around for a long time.  Here is one example.
I also mentioned some general computer security sites to learn more about it.

5 hours ago, kurt2121 said:

Is it safe to assume that what Mcaffe calls ZeroAccess is the same as backdoor.0access? Or could they be entirely different? All the different naming is what gets me confused.

As mentioned, there are many, many, many types of malware, each with its own variants.  Based on the limited information you have provided (IOW no scan logs or samples), one may surmise that the two infections you mention may be different variants of the same type of malware.  But that's all we can say.

Thanks again,

Hello and Welcome to Malwarebytes

Below is a reply we usually give to folks that came across a Zero Access (0.access) Rootkit

The computer shows signs of being infected with the Zero Access rootkit.

One or more of the identified infections is related to a nasty rootkit component which is difficult to remove. Rootkits and backdoor Trojans are very dangerous because they use advanced techniques (backdoors) as a means of accessing a computer system that bypasses security mechanisms and steal sensitive information which they send back to the hacker. Many rootkits can hook into the Windows 32-bit kernel, and patch several APIs to hide new registry keys and files they install. Remote attackers use backdoor Trojans and rootkits as part of an exploit to gain unauthorized access to a computer and take control of it without your knowledge.

If your computer was used for online banking, has credit card information or other sensitive data on it, you should immediately disconnect from the Internet until your system is cleaned. All passwords should be changed immediately to include those used for banking, email, eBay, paypal and online forums from a CLEAN COMPUTER. You should consider them to be compromised. You should change each password by using a different computer and not the infected one. If not, an attacker may get the new passwords and transaction information. If using a router, you need to reset it with a strong logon/password so the malware cannot gain control before connecting again. Banking and credit card institutions should be notified of the possible security breach. Because your computer was compromised please read How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?

Although the rootkit has been identified and may be removed, your PC has likely been compromised and there is no way to be sure the computer can ever be trusted again. It is dangerous and incorrect to assume that because this malware has been removed the computer is now secure. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. The malware may leave so many remnants behind that security tools cannot find them. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of malware, the best course of action is to wipe the drive clean, delete the partition, reformat and reinstall the OS.

Please read:

Should you decide not to follow this advice, we will do our best to help clean the computer of any infections but we cannot guarantee it to be trustworthy or that the removal will be successful. If you wish to proceed, disinfection will require more time and more advanced tools.

If you would like to proceed to try and clean the computer please follow the advice from the link below.

I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

Message borrowed from quietman7 with minor wording and link changes