wi-fi issue

sman

Wi-fi problem has returned in win 10, to be it's bane.. A sort of permanent breakdown of wi-fi  connectivity error 'one or more network protocols are missing on this computer', pointing to errors in windows sockets registry entries and googled solutions do not solve it. even with a clean install, there is every possibility of recurrence of the problem.. Win 10 is no more a boon but a 'bane', forcing switch to 'live-cd' only..

EDIT : this problem seems to be prevalent and affecting many a user..

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Never had any problems with my windows 10, when it comes the connection to wifi,  neither with Windows 10 home ( the upgrade from windows 7 ) nor with my Windows 10 pro wich I bought and did a clean install on my new computer al  working with the wifi no problems at all. I'm really pleased with my Win 10. 

There are many aspects of Win10 that do indeed suck.  As to the whole OS being condemned, that I am not sure about.

The question here is this a laptop or a desktop ?

Is this an embedded WiFi chipset or is it a mini-PCI or is it a USB connected device ?

The point is knowing all the parameters can lead to solutions and to get there we need the facts which start with the Make and Model of the system in question.

The following is an example of a  mini-PCI WiFi  card.  Some desktops have also adopted this interface.  Thus it could be a matter of changing the card to a different vendor such as Intel or Broadcom.  There are also many USB WiFi dongles that are available.

3160HMWGR_t.jpg

Edited by David H. Lipman

@David H. Lipman It is a laptop, ACER 4736z.. from this laptop, wifi is a problem only in win-10 , while no problems in win 8.1 or under 'live-cd' .. in win-10, keep getting error 'one or more network protocols are missing on this computer', in turn problems with windows sockets registry entries.. i have tried googled solutions, but nothing works.. 

The error and the problem seems nemesis of many.. and even MS has'nt been of help as googled..

The Acer Aspire 4736 does indeed use a mini-PCI WiFi card so I would suggest an Intel card.  Thus you know it will have the fullest support of both networking protocols and OS support.  They are not hard to replace.

EDIT:

intel_7260_hmwwb_r_dual_band_wireless_acIntel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 ~$26.00

@sman - how long have you run the Win 8.1 live CD?  And I still believe that it is a driver setting.  Windows 10 will automatically update hardware drivers unless you tell it not to.

This tutorial shows how to turn off Windows:  http://www.howtogeek.com/191405/should-you-use-the-hardware-drivers-windows-provides-or-download-your-manufacturers-drivers/

This tutorial shows how to prevent a specific driver from being downloaded and installed in Windows 10:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

This tutorial shows how to uninstall a Windows update supplied driver (make sure you have the regular one from Acer first, even if it is just for Win 7/8 - it should still work).  http://www.howtogeek.com/223864/how-to-uninstall-and-block-updates-and-drivers-on-windows-10/

Do note:  the first 2 may be reset if a new Windows 10 build is pushed to your system.  If so, then you may see that the driver that you chose to uninstall using hte third tutorial may, in fact, show back up on your system.

I used to use the first tutorial to prevent all drivers from being installed - but that included some stock M$ drivers as well, so I started using the second one, instead, to block the download of the nVdia driver only, allowing Windows Update to handle the rest.

34 minutes ago, sman said:

@David H. Lipman wi-fi was working in win-10 till problems started 2-3 days back.. and laptop works fine in win 8.1/live-cd, and why the problems in win-10 only & that too after being fine in win-10 till recentlly?..

Because the driver is not fully Windows 10 compliant.

Actually, no.  That is unless the manufacturer of the WiFi card indicates that particular driver is certified for Windows 10.  Otherwise you want the most latest driver that is created for the WiFi Card and that doesn't mean it has to be supplied by Acer.  Acer is only the integrator of that card.  It is the manufacturer of the card's drivers you want.

Acer indicates 4 ~ 6 cards may be used in that notebook.  Which card exactly is it ?

Don't be shy to use a miniature Philips Screw Driver and open the trap door on the bottom of the notebook to see what is the Make and Model of that WiFi card.

hmm. i have a service request for the laptop planned for next saturday on 8th and will check out on the wi-fi card then,.. ,  as there are other service issues whch are involved (poor service issues which are to be addressed and do not want to do any probing prior to that)..  can't help and sorry about that.. while on that will also try to find out about win-10 complaint drivers for it.. tks and will keep you posted of developments..