Another "Your system is at risk"

ZePet

Dear MBAR folks,

upon rebooting, I encountered the same problem another user has reported HERE. I run Win 7 x64. Just to make sure, I include the zip archives that 1PW had requested from the other user.

I have not followed the instructions he was given, of course. Other computer, other approach... I would yet appreciate a tip what to do, even if it's a simple "do what was suggested in the other post".

Have a great day!

logs.zip

Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware.zip

Hello ZePet:

Thank you for including the archived logs.  Rather than a simple re-install of MBARW Beta6, please consider a clean install of MBARW Beta6:

1. Close all open user applications followed by a conventional Windows based uninstall of Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware through the Windows system Control Panel.
2. If MBARW Beta was uninstalled successfully, the following directories will have been deleted from a typical Windows 7SP1 x64 system:

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\
                         C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware\
                         C:\ProgramData\MBAMService\

3. If any of the above directories remain, please delete them manually.  If necessary, any remaining/uninstalled directory must be deleted in the Windows Safe mode.
4. Execute a conventional Windows restart to the Normal Windows boot mode and log-in through an Administrator's account. <===IMPORTANT!
5. Using an Administrator's account only, download a fresh MBARW_Setup.exe file and save to the Administrator's Desktop from the MBARW Introduction topic.
6. Right-click the saved MBARW_Setup.exe file and left-click RunAsAdmin.jpg  Run as administrator from the context menu and continue.
7. Upon a successful installation, please restart the computer in a conventional manner to the Windows Normal boot mode.

Please reply to your topic with the status of your reported issue.  Thank you for beta testing MBARW and your valued feedback.

Thank you for the quick reply. I will un- and reinstall as explained by you.

A question out of technical curiosity: Why do I have to use the admin account for th ereinstall? Is the issue I had caused by the limited rights of a normal user account?

Program Installations have to be performed with administrative privileges because limited users do not have write access to C:\Program Files nor C:\Program Files (x86), for one reason.  Additionally, some registry keys are not editable without admin level privileges either.

Update:

I have all folders named in German, After uninstalling, I still had a full MBAR folder in C:\Programme\ and in the C:\ProgramData folder, deleting the Malwarebytes subfolder would have meant deleting the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware subfolder in that one as well. I am not certain I should do that and request further advice.

Thank you.

Hello ZePet:

I hope no confusion exists between the Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit Beta program (MBAR Beta), and the Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta (MBARW Beta) test platform.  Also, by default, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) is installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\  (%ProgramFiles(x86)%).

If the above requested uninstall was successful, then only the following sub-directories have been deleted:

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\
                         C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware\
                         C:\ProgramData\MBAMService\

On some systems, users insist on leaving or placing the C:\ProgramData\ (%ProgramData%) directory in Microsoft's default hidden state, and that personal preference is honored here.

Thank you.

Edited by 1PW

Hmm. Well, I had other subfolders in C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\ that were not Anti-Ransomware. And yes, thank you for pointing it out, but I indeed meant the Anti-Ransomware Beta and not Anti-Rootkit.
In any case: as of today, here is my last update: the reinstall works flawlessly again. Thank you for your help!