Mbam.exe not in startup

Mickey,

Sorry that you haven't gotten a response yet. Have you tried reinstalling Malwarebytes Antimalware using your ID and key? That would likely be the quickest solution and ensure everything is reconfigured properly.

If things are still being evil after a reinstall, let us know so we can go from there.

• Root Admin

I would first try a reboot and if that does not correct it then let's get a log to see if we can see what's going on.

Please create an mbam-check log:

• Download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop
  • Double-click on mbam-check.exe to run it, it should then open a log file
  • Please do not copy and paste the entire contents of the log into your next post, instead please attach the log CheckResults.txt file which should now be located on your desktop to your next post

17 hours ago, AlexSmith said:

Mickey,

Sorry that you haven't gotten a response yet. Have you tried reinstalling Malwarebytes Antimalware using your ID and key? That would likely be the quickest solution and ensure everything is reconfigured properly.

If things are still being evil after a reinstall, let us know so we can go from there.

Yes, that was the first thing I did as on install an app is usually placed in startup on install. But I checked msconfig and it's not listed after the reinstall and the clean tool. Also I've upgraded to Windows 10 and nothing but problems with some apps.

2 minutes ago, MickTarheel23 said:

Yes, that was the first thing I did as on install an app is usually placed in startup on install. But I checked msconfig and it's not listed after the reinstall and the clean tool. Also I've upgraded to Windows 10 and nothing but problems with some apps.

Mickey,

Thanks for the update!! That is odd that this issue is carrying over after a clean reinstall too. Something is up for sure, we just need to figure out what's up.

I would recommend following Ron's post to get us that CheckResults.txt log file so we can dig deeper in to this.

10 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

I would first try a reboot and if that does not correct it then let's get a log to see if we can see what's going on.

Please create an mbam-check log:

• Download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop
  • Double-click on mbam-check.exe to run it, it should then open a log file
  • Please do not copy and paste the entire contents of the log into your next post, instead please attach the log CheckResults.txt file which should now be located on your desktop to your next post

Thank you, I will attach the results. Malwares is running fine but the reason I upgraded to the paid version is the realtime protection, which I have enabled but why mbam.exe isn't in startup confuses me, thanks!

Mickey

CheckResults.txt

• Root Admin

The log shows that the computer needs a restart and that the program is on a 15 second delay. Please restart the computer and then wait and within 30 seconds the MBAM program should be in the task tray. Make sure that you are not hiding the task tray items. But you can open it and it should be there. If not then try the clean removal process as the logs also say this was an update not a clean install and possibly some file is having issues updating.

MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

Edited by AdvancedSetup

12 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

The log shows that the computer needs a restart and that the program is on a 15 second delay. Please restart the computer and then wait and within 30 seconds the MBAM program should be in the task tray. Make sure that you are not hiding the task tray items. But you can open it and it should be there. If not then try the clean removal process again as the logs also say this was an update not a clean install.

Hello, I'm learning Windows 10 but I click on the hidden icons and, nevermind I googled and found in settings. Malwares wasn't listed in taskbar, it was set to off. I set it on and it's in my taskbar. Wasn't a clean install but an updated, weird as I used your uninstaller and the clean tool next. It's in my taskbar now. It;s still not listed in my startup but malwares anti-exploit has always been in my startup with Windows 10. I'll reboot and check........

Edited by AlexSmith

Mickey,

MBAM.exe itself will not show up as a RUN or User Startup Entry as Malwarebytes Antimalware instead uses the Services and Drivers infrastructure of Windows to load on boot. So you not seeing mbam.exe in MSConfig is perfectly normal behavior.

26 minutes ago, AlexSmith said:

Mickey,

Thanks for the update!! That is odd that this issue is carrying over after a clean reinstall too. Something is up for sure, we just need to figure out what's up.

I would recommend following Ron's post to get us that CheckResults.txt log file so we can dig deeper in to this.

I just attached it, thanks Alex!

5 minutes ago, AlexSmith said:

Mickey,

MBAM.exe itself will not show up as a RUN or User Startup Entry as Malwarebytes Antimalware instead uses the Services and Drivers infrastructure of Windows to load on boot. So you not seeing mbam.exe in MSConfig is perfectly normal behavior.

Ok, thanks Alex! My AV, Malewares anti-exploit are in msconfig startup so I assumed mbam.exe would be in startup as it was in Windows 7. I take it this is a Windows 10 thing........ok then all is good if it's in my taskbar and not listed in msconfig/startup.........I still may try another uninstall since the log file said mine was an update but I sure uninstalled it. On another note, I had to install my printer drivers again and they were listed in msconfig/startup until I removed them. mbam.exe not needed in msconfig/startup.........perfect.

Mickey 

Just now, MickTarheel23 said:

Ok, thanks Alex! My AV, Malewares anti-exploit are in msconfig startup so I assumed mbam.exe would be in startup as it was in Windows 7. I take it this is a Windows 10 thing........ok then all is good if it's in my taskbar and not listed in msconfig/startup.........I still may try another uninstall since the log file said mine was an update but I sure uninstalled it. On another note, I had to install my printer drivers again and they were listed in msconfig/startup until I removed them. mbam.exe not needed in msconfig/startup.........perfect.

Mickey 

No problem on the help!! I run Windows 10 on everything I own and use, so I can confirm that mbam.exe not showing up as a MSConfig/Startup item in the same area as mbae.exe is normal. It's very common for anti-malware software nowadays to use the Services and Drivers infrastructure of Windows to provide the level of protection needed to thwart evil malware.

As far as the printer drivers goes, that sounds normal too depending on how the additional software components work for the specific printer you use. Without getting too technical, the way a piece of software, Driver, or Service loads at boot up all depends on how the device functions, the capabilities it provides, and how the author of said software/driver/service implemented things.

Essentially what I am saying is that there are several factors at play here that are not going to be universal or the same from printer to printer, or when trying to compare the experience of a printer installation/startup with anti-malware software installation/startup.

Hopefully that answers all of your questions, if not, just let us know.

Thanks!!

33 minutes ago, AlexSmith said:

No problem on the help!! I run Windows 10 on everything I own and use, so I can confirm that mbam.exe not showing up as a MSConfig/Startup item in the same area as mbae.exe is normal. It's very common for anti-malware software nowadays to use the Services and Drivers infrastructure of Windows to provide the level of protection needed to thwart evil malware.

As far as the printer drivers goes, that sounds normal too depending on how the additional software components work for the specific printer you use. Without getting too technical, the way a piece of software, Driver, or Service loads at boot up all depends on how the device functions, the capabilities it provides, and how the author of said software/driver/service implemented things.

Essentially what I am saying is that there are several factors at play here that are not going to be universal or the same from printer to printer, or when trying to compare the experience of a printer installation/startup with anti-malware software installation/startup.

Hopefully that answers all of your questions, if not, just let us know.

Thanks!!

Excellent, then I will not uninstall and reinstall Malewares bytes, it has yet pop up and say malware whereas nod32 has so I was worried. Before you close this thread, is the premium anti-exploit just as important as Malewarebytes, in your opinion? Sorry for the typos, I'm disabled and type with a typing splint.  Oh I was reading this thread, many Windows 10 and maleware complaints:  I am running Windows 10 on my Host-PC Desktop PC and I have added Malware (paid version) to start at Windows boot-time, but it does not. I have added this application to start-ups and it still does not start at boot-time.   http://scottiestech.info/2015/06/28/fix-malwarebytes-anti-malware-on-the-windows-10-technical-preview/

3 hours ago, MickTarheel23 said:

Before you close this thread, is the premium anti-exploit just as important as Malewarebytes, in your opinion?

MBAE is very important and works in conjunction with MBAM. Checkl out this topic for more info: 

Sorry for the typos, I'm disabled and type with a typing splint.

No problem at all. I have been known to make my fare share of typos. :D

Oh I was reading this thread, many Windows 10 and maleware complaints:  I am running Windows 10 on my Host-PC Desktop PC and I have added Malware (paid version) to start at Windows boot-time, but it does not. I have added this application to start-ups and it still does not start at boot-time.   http://scottiestech.info/2015/06/28/fix-malwarebytes-anti-malware-on-the-windows-10-technical-preview/

I wouldn't hold too much stock in that page. That page is about a specific situation that occurred on a beta/preview version of Windows 10. Microsoft has released two final versions of Windows 10 since then (the original 10240 version and the most recent Version 1511/10586) and are currently working on their next one called the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Plus, there have been a lot of updates to MBAM since then too.

Now the specific comment you quoted, it's hard to say what's going on there without getting all the technical details. So not much I can say about that.

If you have more questions, just ask!!

9 minutes ago, AlexSmith said:

MBAE is very important and works in conjunction with MBAM. Checkl out this topic for more info: 

No problem at all. I have been known to make my fare share of typos. :D

I wouldn't hold too much stock in that page. That page is about a specific situation that occurred on a beta/preview version of Windows 10. Microsoft has released two final versions of Windows 10 since then (the original 10240 version and the most recent Version 1511/10586) and are currently working on their next one called the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Plus, there have been a lot of updates to MBAM since then too.

Now the specific comment you quoted, it's hard to say what's going on there without getting all the technical details. So not much I can say about that.

If you have more questions, just ask!!

Only thing is I did not get a link to read about MBAE, be interested to read the info on it. I didn't think much of that link I sent you either :)

20 hours ago, AlexSmith said:

Lol. There I go making mistakes and typos.

Here is the link I meant to post: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/topic/136424-frequently-asked-questions/

Got the link, thanks very much and will go read. Weird thing first bootup, Malewarebyes wasn't in my taskbar like it was yesterday but it was selected in settings to show. I ran the app and now it's showing in the taskbar :) Are there any particular sites to test Malewarebytes effectiveness against maleware by any chance?? Many thanks 

17 minutes ago, MickTarheel23 said:

Now anti-exploit will not work, free version errors out. I uninstalled and reinstalled, same thing but forget the error.

I would recommend posting this new issue in the MBAE area with some details on the error message you are getting. 

Good news.  There were a couple of issues recently both with Google Chrome on version 48.x or 49.x as well as a lot more issued with folks using Chrome, MBAE and Trusteer Rapport.  For future reference, if you have any more issues with MBAE, be sure to head over to that sub-forum (linked below) to post for help:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/forum/125-malwarebytes-anti-exploit-support/