MBARW quarantined WRSA ; Files deleted

MyLittleB

Webroot has again been detected as ransomware. 

Detection occurred when running system optimizer. I do not run that utility on a schedule, I run it manually. MBARW message popup appeared with message to reboot, not allowing optimizer to run. I closed the message, stopped protection, rebooted and no Webroot. I followed instructions for false positives by restoring the quarantined files, however wrsa.exe could not be restored for adding to exclusions, that file was gone. 

I downloaded the installation file from Webroot. It would not run. System restore did not bring the files back. In order to re-install, all the Webroot data files had to be removed. I removed the folder WRData located in Program Data and  in Program Files\Webroot. That solved the install issue.

Reinstalled Webroot, had to start fresh, working now and added to exclusions in MBARW.

Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware.zip

MBAMSERVICE.zip

Reference: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/453dc7deafbb25da400c7eeee03ff0e4db7d452f84119b42b99dbdcff468c287/analysis/

Hello MyLittleB:

Available data does suggest a false positive and hopefully you added the following temporary full pathname file entry in MBARW GUI Dashboard -> Exclusions:

C:\Program Files\Webroot\WRSA.exe

Thank you for beta testing MBARW and your valuable feedback.

17 hours ago, 1PW said:

Reference: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/453dc7deafbb25da400c7eeee03ff0e4db7d452f84119b42b99dbdcff468c287/analysis/

Hello MyLittleB:

Available data does suggest a false positive and hopefully you added the following temporary full pathname file entry in MBARW GUI Dashboard -> Exclusions:

C:\Program Files\Webroot\WRSA.exe

Thank you for beta testing MBARW and your valuable feedback.

Definitely false positive! Yes I did add the full path name to the exclusions. There are several posts regarding Webroot detected as a false positive. It was my understanding that this build corrected it. As I wrote in my post, it occurred only when I ran the utility. I am curious to know if the other beta testers who experienced a false positive with Webroot have the system optimizer utility set to run on a schedule.