Running multiple AV's simultaneously

sman

Due to the chrome problem, I have been trying to rule out any problem with my system and carrying./ carried out systen checks with multiple AV;s and y;day had 4 AV's (Avast, Webroot, Emsisoft, Panda) wuth MBAE running simultaneously..

Since, Panda cloud cleaner was a one-off run, I still continue to run the other 3 AV's with MBAE in tandem..

Though, I haven't had any problems so far, is this OK? Tks. in advance..

Hi sman :)

You shouldn't have more than one Antivirus installed at the time on a system. Even if only one of them is running, and the other 3 are "on-demand", they still have kernel-mode drivers installed that could cause conflict with the other installed Antivirus products, leading to system instability. Therefore, I suggest you to uninstall three of your Antivirus and leave only one installed (logically, it would be the one you are currently paying for).

For more information about running multiple Antivirus at the same time, I suggest you to read quietman's article below on BleepingComputer. Pay attention to the "IMPORTANT NOTE" section at the end.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/#entry2316629

This being said, you should be able to run Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit with the Antivirus you'll keep installed on your system (any of them).

Thanks @Aura.. Avast has been my primary protection.. With Webroot said to work alongside existing AV, this was added. Emsisoft is the 3rd one, I'm trying out, which did help in clearing some PUP's / registry detections.. All 3 are on realtime protection level.

Webroot does'nt need any updation (being cloud-based protection).. while there has been no problems with updation of the other two,

If I were given a choice, though I'm impressed with Emsisoft, I will stick with my primary Avast protection..

The one problem (maybe not related to running of multiple AV's) is the 'Secure DNS' feature of Avsst, which is a bit un-predictable and interfere with network connectivity (needing frequent turning 'ON/OFF' of the 'Secure DNS' option)..

Anyway, Avast it will be.. But is it OK in adding Webroot to it, beng a cloud based protection?

Webroot says that they are compatible with every other Antivirus products, it might not be the case for avast! though. This is something I would check on avast! forums and ask the Staff there if they are aware of any issues with running avast! and Webroot together. 

Well sman Webroot Secure Anywhere is marketed as a antivirus and i have always hd this drilled into my head never usw more then one AV so my gut tells me that that person is incorrect and the only programs that should be used are ones marketed as such form our own page here Antivirus compatibility — Click here to learn more

https://www.malwarebytes.org/pdf/reviews/AVTestingReport.pdf

While I certainly won't disagree that it's generally better and safer to not run more than one AV at a time, the actual determination of whether or not it may be run in tandem with other AVs/AM applications is not black and white. It depends largely on precisely what components the AV (or AM for that matter, as even apps designed to be compatible with other security apps could conflict with certain types of modules in other security apps, including AVs) contains and how they function. In general I've found that most of the big name AVs, particularly those marketed as "Internet Security" (those which contain more than just an antivirus module, particularly those with firewall, HIPS and other components above and beyond raw virus detection and removal) tend to have more trouble with running in tandem with other other AVs. I have also found certain ones which are in general not very low level, use few modules and therefore are far less likely to encounter issues with other security apps, including other AVs. There are not many these days, but I do know of at least one and I continue to use it to this day alongside my current antivirus along with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium. I continue to use it for the very same reason I use MBAM and MBAE; I've seen it detect things that the others missed when surfing the web. It hasn't happened often, but it has happened so I'm keeping it around, at least for now. Of course, should things change in a future release and an incompatibility should arise I'll obviously have to reassess my configuration. There was a time long ago when I used to run 6~8 AV and AM apps all in realtime (along with several on-demand scanners to double-check every once in a while that my system was clean) but I've trimmed that down considerably these days as I've learned more and of course as some of the tools and products I was using were discontinued or released versions which became incompatible.

If you're OK with taking the risk and perhaps doing some experimentation to test how they perform together I see no reason to avoid running a second AV, just don't be surprised if you do encounter issues, conflicts and potentially problems as severe as system crashes/BSODs, so be sure to back up any data that's important to you somewhere else before you do. It's probably also a good idea to try to find some relatively safe tests to see how the two products respond in realtime when both detect the same object as malicious (such as the EICAR virus test file and/or an installer known to contain one or more PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs) which, while annoying, aren't actual malware and aren't so much harmful as they are annoying so you're not at any real risk handling them). As long as you replicate a scenario where both products are triggered on a detection of the same object at the same time and you are able to interact with them still in order to have one AV ignore the object and allow the other to remove it/quarantine it then you should be OK to use them together (just be sure to remember to do the same if it ever happens in a real world scenario when browsing the web and downloading anything that gets detected by both).

All that said, of course I do NOT recommend that most users even attempt to do this as it's probably more trouble than it's worth for most, but if you're fairly comfortable with playing with this sort of thing, especially if you have experience with a wide range of security applications, then you should be OK to experiment to find one or more combinations that works and you can end up with a security setup that's at least potentially a little bit more secure (as long as you know how to use it, of course ;)).

Generally, at the time of installation itself, AV's will check on compatibility aspect and some would be very particular (like Kapersky) & refuse to install, unless in-compatible products are removed.. But, in the combo of AV's I've gone for, no in-compatibility was reported either pre/post install and with no issues of conflict, so far, I have kept the set-up as it is..

Also, my browsing nature is generally around safe levels only (no fooling around, no rash clicking, with caution the watch word) and this also may be the reason, for absence of conflicts..

Generally, at the time of installation itself, AV's will check on compatibility aspect and some would be very particular (like Kapersky) & refuse to install, unless in-compatible products are removed..

Yes, that's quite true, although I've proven through testing on my own on several systems and every current OS that even when an AV vendor states that a product is incompatible, that is not always the case. In fact, for a very long time Kaspersky claimed that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware was incompatible with their antivirus and internet security products, yet we proved through testing that this was not the case and convinced them to remove us from their incompatible software lists, both on their website and within their installers.

Yes.. Kaspersky can be very fussy.. Whenever, there is a browser update, their Browser plugins will always become in-compatible and needing rollback of browser to pre-update state, and remain so, for quite long periods, to be protected by Kaspersky and putting users in a quandary on browser safety..