Windows Update not installing. Error messages:

Hi, me and a removal expert on here about a week or so ago who was being a tremendous help scanned my system with the programs he said and everything seemed ok, but then every since we ran those scans my windows update is no longer installing updates (failed). I ran Fix it and it gave me the error: 80070057 and 80246008.

I requested to have our old thread re-opened, but he also told me to start a new one and to include the log file results from a FRST.exe scan. Hopefully me and him will reunite once again, but if not I would appreciate anyone's help on this manner. Thank for your help and God Bless :)

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

Hello again WWE4life,

Thanks for the logs, continue as follows:

Download attached fixlist.txt file (end of reply) and save it to the Desktop, or the folder you saved FRST into.

NOTE. It's important that both FRST and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Run FRST and press the Fix button just once and wait.

The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt) or the folder it was ran from. Please post it to your reply.

Next,

Please open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

On the Settings tab > Detection and Protection sub tab, Detection Options, tick the box "Scan for rootkits".
Under Non-Malware Protection sub tab Change PUP and PUM entries to Treat detections as Malware
Click on the Scan tab, then click on Scan Now >> . If an update is available, click the Update Now button.
A Threat Scan will begin.
With some infections, you may or may not see this message box.

'Could not load DDA driver'

Click 'Yes' to this message, to allow the driver to load after a restart.
Allow the computer to restart. Continue with the rest of these instructions.
When the scan is complete, click Apply Actions.
Wait for the prompt to restart the computer to appear, then click on Yes.
After the restart once you are back at your desktop, open MBAM once more.

To get the log from Malwarebytes do the following:

Click on the History tab > Application Logs.
Double click on the scan log which shows the Date and time of the scan just performed.
Click Export > From export you have three options:

Copy to Clipboard - if seleted right click to your reply and select "Paste" log will be pasted to your reply
  Text file (*.txt)        - if selected you will have to name the file and save to a place of choice, recommend "Desktop" then attach to reply
  XML file (*.xml)      - if selected you will have to name the file and save to a place of choice, recommend "Desktop" then attach to reply

Recommend you use "Copy to Clipboard, then Right click to your reply > select "Paste" that will copy the log to your reply…

Next,

Please download RogueKiller and save it to your desktop from the following link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/roguekiller/

Quit all running programs.
For Windows XP, double-click to start.
For Vista,Windows 7/8, Right-click on the program and select Run as Administrator to start and when prompted allow it to run.
Read and accept the EULA (End User Licene Agreement)
Click Scan to scan the system.
When the scan completes select "Report", log will open. Close the program > Don't Fix anything!
Post back the report which should also be located here:

C:\Programdata\RogueKiller\Logs <-------- W7/8

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\RogueKiller\Logs <------XP

Next,

Download Farbar Service Scanner from here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-service-scanner/dl/62/ and run it on the computer with the issue.

Make sure the following options are checked:

Internet Services
Windows Firewall
System Restore
Security Center/Action Center
Windows Update
Windows Defender

Press "Scan".
It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

Let me see those logs in your next reply....

Thanks,

Kevin..

Fixlist.txt

I'm sorry, I misinterpreted what you meant at first. After restarting when I did as you said with the Fixlist and FRST.exe I could not connect to the internet. I got an error message stating that windows was not acknowledging my network connection.

Nothing I did fixed it, then I called my local ISP and they did told me that was a hardware issue, and to contact HP. So I had to do a system restore dating back to yesterday the 23rd. So I re-did what you asked again and this time made sure to save the fixlog.txt which is attached :)

Fixlog.txt

Update for you: After I ran the Farbar service scanner again to get you the Fixlog and restarted my computer a notification to install windows updates came up and they all installed successfully :) I was going to try and install Adblock now but didn't want to do anything until I received a reply from you.

yes is ok to install Adblock plus. Other than that do you have any remaining issues or concerns? Run the following and post the log...

Download Microsoft's " Malicious Software Removal Tool" and save direct to the desktop

Ensure to get the correct version for your system....

32 Bit version:

https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/confirmation.aspx?FamilyId=AD724AE0-E72D-4F54-9AB3-75B8EB148356&displaylang=en

64 Bit version:

https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/confirmation.aspx?FamilyId=585D2BDE-367F-495E-94E7-6349F4EFFC74&displaylang=en

Right click on the Tool, select “Run as Administrator” the tool will expand to the options Window

In the "Scan Type" window, select Quick Scan

Perform a scan and  Click Finish when the scan is done.

Retrieve the MSRT log as follows, and post it in your next reply:

1) Select the Windows key and R key together to open the "Run" function

2) Type or Copy/Paste the following command to the "Run Line" and Press Enter:

notepad c:\windows\debug\mrt.log

Thank you,

Kevin...

Yes is ok to run Delfix, back to IE. As a none Internet Explorer i`m not sure i`m the right guy to ask advice, personally I use Mozilla Firefox and have done so for many years.

Internet Explorer does have its own popup blocker, do you have that active, does it help.

Open IE, select > tools > Internet Options > Privacy tab. Is the native Popup Blocker active?

Ok, I will use the Delfix. Yes, the pop up blocker is active, but it does not block Ads at all. You see, I know some Ads are harmless, while others are not, but I don't know how to tell. I think if the Ads are intrusive and get in the way of using a site's basic functions then they're bad, while other Ads do not get in the way at all. I may have to just make the switch to Mozilla. You seem pleased with it :)

I`ve used Firefox for maybe 10 years or so, never had any problems.  I use Firefox with these addons: Webutation, Adblock Plus, Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon, Flash Block, NoScipt,  When Firefox is open select these keys together :- Ctrl - Shift - A that will access Addons manger, this gives access to find addons via the search function, Also able to use start, stop or disable those features etc....

Before using NoScript read from this link http://noscript.net/ makes it easy to understand....

What is your current status, are we ok to close out? Apologies I cannot give more help with Internet Explore....

Cheers,

Kevin...

Very well, I will look into that, thank you kindly sir :)  Yes, everything seems fine now so we can close this out. I sincerely appreciate all your help, and more importantly I appreciate you being a gentleman in the process.

Cheers and God Bless

• Root Admin

Glad we could help. :)

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!