Database not updating after 'upgrade'

I have been asked to start a new topic for this issue which seems the same as that responded to by DaleDoc to reinbeau:

Sorry I did not know of the "one topic one user rule". 

The issue is that every hour or more often a message comes up telling me my database is out of date and asking me to update. But nothing happens and the message reappears in an hour.

Hello and  :welcome:, reinbeau:

Sorry you are having updating issues.

Please follow the instructions here and post back and let us know how it goes:

Also, @digmorcrusher is correct: if you have a valid, paid, lifetime, consumer, 1-PC license for MBAM 1.x, that license will be automatically honored for migration to version 2.x.  There is no need to pay again: What does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 mean for me?

Thank You,

daledoc

I have gone through the process described in your point 1. It looked like it worked for 24 hours then it started telling me again that the database is out of date as before. 

So I have now run the process described in your point 2. I attach the logs as requested. 

Please can you sort this out for me as it is becoming increasingly annoying. 

Thanks very much. 

Addition.txt

CheckResults.txt

FRST.txt

Hi:

Thanks.

We'll need to wait for staff or an expert to review your logs.

Are you trying to update while behind a corporate firewall or using a VPN client, by any chance?

And have you checked to be sure your AV and firewall are giving MBAM full permissions?

And your system date and time are correct?

Thanks for your patience,

I am not behind a corporate firewall and was not logged into VPN when doing the upgrade or the subsequent reinstall. 

I had switched off the AV. I am not sure whether the internet firewall gave any limit to permissions. It gave no messages about this and I do not normally have a any problems with other upgrades. 

The system time and date are correct (UK time). 

• Root Admin

The computer appears to be infected with some minor redirect junk and has some other programs that should be removed.

Optimizer Pro (Snake Oil and should not be used recommend uninstall)   Do I need a Windows Registry Cleaner?

McAfee Security Scan Plus (uninstall this, not needed)

Ask Toolbar (potentially partially involved with some unwanted search options unless you absolutely need it I'd recommend you uninstall it)
SearchScopes: HKCU - {70D46D94-BF1E-45ED-B567-48701376298E} URL = http://127.0.0.1:4664/search&s=Iw3uXxQQ0RIZMWsE5xEBB62K7fE?q={searchTerms}
dts.search-results.com

www.searchnu.com/406

These are old compromised versions of Java and should be uninstalled

Java 7 Update 51
Java™ SE Development Kit 6 Update 35

This service is crashing.  Reinstall of iTunes may correct.

Bonjour Service

Our program is also crashing but not sure why.  Do you have exclusions setup for Symantec Antivirus?

mbamservice

I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

They can help you clean up your computer to ensure all is working well. This forum cannot run other scanners and recommend such and why we point you to a dedicated forum where you can get one-on-one free support.

Thanks

I am not behind a corporate firewall and was not logged into VPN when doing the upgrade or the subsequent reinstall. 

I had switched off the AV. I am not sure whether the internet firewall gave any limit to permissions. It gave no messages about this and I do not normally have a any problems with other upgrades. 

The system time and date are correct (UK time). 

See my post in this thread https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=148393&hl=

I don't know if our problems are any more similar than the database not updating.

The upshot of the message I left in the referenced post: make sure any "Detected Threats" are dispositioned on the "Scan" page of the interface. I could not find any info in the available fora or the Knowledge Base as to whether this is intentional in the design of the software. Given all of the instructions to remove, clean, and reinstall and doing other fiddly bits, I get the impression the system wasn't designed to behave this way or the programmers haven't adequately documented the "feature". Otherwise, I doubt there'd be suggestions other than dispositioning the detected threats.

Wow! I am impressed with the responses on this forum.

BarryWilliams: Thanks very much for this response. I did find a threat in the scan that needed sorting. So as step one I have done that and the system is updating. I will see tomorrow what effect that has had. 

Ron Lewis (AdvancedSetup) Thanks for the very prompt and really helpful listing of junk I have acquired and not disposed of. I will now set about some un-installing and see where the combination of both sets of actions takes me. Meanwhile I have a few questions:

"Do you have exclusions setup for Symantec Antivirus?" I do not have any Malwarebytes exclusions set up. Should I do this? 

If I do need to go to the "Experts" section as a Premium customer do I count as a paying customer or not? 

Until Ron returns....

I use Symantec Endpoint Protection on some of my computers. I have not encountered any issues with the exceptions not being there, however I add them anyway just as a precaution and not necessarily cause they are needed.

As for working with the experts, if done here on the forum, you will be helped for free even if you did not buy the Malwarebytes software. If you did purchase it then you would count as a paying customer and can either seek help here on the forums in the Malware Removal Help section, or you can do it via email with the help desk.

Hope that answers your question.

• Root Admin

Ah... well if there are pending operations that have not been completed then yes that is correct the database will not update until it has been taken care of. This has been reported before but I wasn't exactly sure at first if this was the same issue or not. I'll report it again though and see if there is anything that can be done in a future build.

Just to let you all know how I have got on. 

I think BarryWilliams had the correct answer as the message has not come up at all today. Thanks very much - as you say it was much easier doing this than going through much un and reinstalling.

The list of programs to remove was most likely irrelevant but was still very useful. All bar the "snake oil" sorted but there is no sign of Optimizer Pro on the system other than the registry entry you noted. I think I may have removed it as soon as it sneaked on. 

Anyway thanks very much for all the help. I think I can close this now.