Intermittently loosing internet access

Weyoun

Hi everyone!

I'm not sure if this is a hardware issue, network adapter issue, router issue or software issue. I don't loose network access, just internet access. For information, I am using a powerline network adapter with a Netgear PCI Express network card. Windows 8.1 Pro x64, security setup is in my signature (Desktop one). I'm not really concerned that it's an infection problem, that's why I didn't post this in the malware removal help section. I was going to run dds anyway just to post and see if you guys see anything funny or any software conflicts, but both .scr and .com told me "DDS not meant to run in 'compatibility mode'. The program shall now exit.", even with all security protection shut down/disabled. What should I try next?

• Root Admin

Well if computer one signature is correct then you have an issue.  Those are 2 full antivirus programs and you can only have one or they will conflict with each other.

I would recommend you either choose Norton or Webroot (keeping Norton would be my choice but as a beta tester may not be your choice) and fully uninstalling the other one. 

Thanks RonnieM and Ron both for your replies.

My router is updated to the latest firmware, and as far as I know, my computer is the only on the network experiencing the issue.

Yes, computer one is correct for the signature. Per your advice, I will revert my system to an image before Webroot was installed (I make full, seperate back up images prior to installing any new software). I knew that it is not a good idea to run two full AV's together, i.e., BitDefender and Kaspersky (or any other AV). The reason I thought Webroot would be okay to run with Norton is because Webroot technical support, and many members in their forums, including staff members, said "Yes, it is perfectly compatible with other AV's because it works differently." Per your advice however I will keep Norton (Norton is my prefered choice, if I had to run one AV alone, too). If the issue persists then I will let you know. I might not know for a little while if that fixes the issue, because it only looses access once in a while, but I will update if the issue appears to be fixed or not.

Thanks,

Weyoun

I have reverted my system back to before Webroot was installed and am now running only Norton and MBAM Pro, per your advice, Ron. If it happens again, I will check the router and post back.

Thanks again.

Weyoun

Update:

I lost internet access, but not network access as I could still open public folders on other computers, again this morning after uninstalling Webroot from computer one. It appears not to be a router problem, the only thing I can figure now is either network card, software issue, or maybe the powerline adapters. But if it were the powerline adapters, wouldn't I loose full network access including to other computers?

Thanks RonnieM.

I'm not really thinking it's a problem with my powerlines, just maybe a problem with one of the powerline adapters themselves (the adapters that plug into the wall, one has a network cable to the router, the other, to my computer), a software issue, or a network card problem. I can fix a complete power failure on a computer and total RAM and hard drive corruption... but I can't figure out something as trivial as an internet problem :unsure:. Will try switching to the built in Ethernet plug, but it is slower than my Netgear PCI express one. Will update when I have more to tell :).

Thanks again.

Weyoun:

Lets look at this closely.

You indicate you have intermittent Internet drop-outs on a computer using a powerline network adapter with a Netgear PCI Express network card.

We need to define your network.

* Who is your ISP and how do you get access to the Internet ?

* What is the make and model of your Router and is this just a Router or is it a Router+Modem ?

* What is your network address scheme ?

{ example:  192.168.1.x with Router at 192.168.1.1 )

You indicate "I don't loose network access, just internet access" and you know you are still "networking" because, as you wrote, you "could still open public folders on other computers".

Ok.  You know you are still networking because you are able to access NT Shares off another computer (such as \\computer_x\public )

But HOW do you know you lose Internet and what have you done to verify that you can't access the internet ?

For example: 

You can access the NT Share of Computer_X so you should be able to "PING Computer_X".

When all is working OK you should be able to PING your Router as well.  Assuming your Router is at 192.168.1.1 you should be able to "PING 192.168.1.1"

When all is working OK you should also be able to ping Yahoo.Com "Ping Yahoo.Com"

post-14644-0-34273000-1392739229_thumb.j

Pinging Yahoo.Com will do do two important tests.  Checking connectivity from the POV of a node from the LAN side to a site on the Internet and will also resolve Yahoo.Com into an IP address as shown above.

Running these tests when all is OK and when you lose Internet access will help isolate the problem.  By running these tests under good and bad conditions we can compare results.

For example:  Lets say you can't access the Internet.  You can Ping the Router IP address just fine but when you Ping Yahoo.Com you get an error indicating "Ping request could not find host yahoo.com. Please check the name and try again."    But then you might get a different result where you can Ping the router and you can Ping Yahoo.Com but when you load a Browser such as Internet Explorer (IE) you can't access http://yahoo.com

There are tools and utilities that can be used to "test" TCP/IP and network access.  By knowing all the facts of your network and by using tools to run various tests we can narrow down the problem and hopefully come to a better explanation of the problem and find a resolution.

Hi David, thanks for helping.

What I did to verify that I didn't have internet access was attempt to go online VIA IE, Firefox, and tried to update my AV and MBAM. I think I ended up pinpointing the problem, maybe you can tell me if this may be a possible explanation?

I remembered that we connected two new devices to the network just about the same time I started getting dropouts on my internet access. I checked my router logs and looked at the two new devices and found that one of them was sometimes trying to connect to the router using the same IP as my system. I've since changed my IP (desktop) and since then haven't had any random dropouts. Could this have been a cause?

Here is the ping for yahoo.com when all is normall:

post-134277-0-18257100-1392779985_thumb.

There are two situations.  A static IP assignment and a dynamic IP assignment.  Since there are two computers either or both conditions.

In either case Windows SHOULD generate a Pop-UP indicating that the IP address is used on the network and there is a conflict. 

So let us revisit what I wrote...

We need to define your network.

* Who is your ISP and how do you get access to the Internet ?

* What is the make and model of your Router and is this just a Router or is it a Router+Modem ?

* What is your network address scheme ?

{ example:  192.168.1.x with Router at 192.168.1.1 )

Now I also want to know the IP addresses of "the two new devices".

I was able to run a ping test while having another dropout, and got the "host not found" message. I didn't snag a screenshot, but that is the message the command prompt gave me.

According to router, all are dynamic addresses.

• Root Admin

Well not sure what David said/asked but why not just put it into a STATIC IP for testing. 

If for example you have 192.168.1.5 give it something like 192.168.1.125

Then see if the connections drops out.  From a command prompt you can keep a continuous ping going by using the -t option like such.

ping yahoo.com -t

Then if the Web browser or other loses connection you can ALT-TAB back to the DOS screen and see what it says.

Ron:

Yes, that is what I have suggested.  Set the node to static @ 192.168.0.235 and use a continuous PING to the Router @ 192.168.0.1
{ [  ping -t 192.168.0.1 ]  I don't suggest doing it to Yahoo.Com as it can be perceived as a ICMP DOS attack }

I did state "I would prefer "public" so all could benefit from the discussion" and since there is no PII or "embarrassing" information, I'll bring gathered data back into this thread.

The affected computer:
HP Pavilion using a Netgear GA311 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Adapter.connected to a TP-Link, TL-PA4010, nano powerline adapter

The Router:

Actiontec V1000H connected to a TP-Link, TL-PA4010, nano powerline adapter.

There is ~60' between the HP Pavilion and the Router.

I asked if Weyoun had a USB WiFi adapter, he indicated no.

I have asked Weyoun to temporarily move the HP Pavilion closer to the Router by using a direct Ethernet connection such that we can take the power wiring and the pair of TP-Link, TL-PA4010, out of the equation to see if there are continued Internet access related Drop-Outs.

Hello David,

I sincerely apologize for the delay in responding. I ended up actually loosing all internet access, not just intermittently. I did not get the chance to move my computer back down to the router, however, I was able to use a laptop to test if the powerline adapters were the issue, by disabling the wireless temporarily, then plugging the Ethernet cable from the powerline adapter into the laptop. No network access, just like with the HP Pavillion. I unplugged the network cable that was running from the router to the first powerline adapter, then unplugged the cable going from the second adapter to the computer. I then unplugged both powerline adapters from their outlets, and let them sit for about 30 seconds. Plugged the cable back into the first adapter, then the first adapter back into the wall. Then, plugged in the cable to the computer back into the second adapter, then plugged the adapter back into the wall. I paired them up again as if it was the first time setting up the adapters. All works well now, with no dropouts anymore.

Thank you David, and every one else who contributed. Your help is very much appreciated :).