Thankfully I have not had to use the services of this forum for several years but unfortunately I now need some help/advice once more.

I have a new laptop, Sony, which is only 3 months old. It's running Windows 8. First question, can I download and run the Malwarebytes software without messing up the system? It's just that I have McAfee installed and it seems that everything else in Windows is disabled (Defender etc) and I've read that to install Defender, McAfee has to be completely removed first. Obviously I don't want to do this so I am just wondering if it is safe to download and run Malwarebytes.

Secondly, the problem. Download speeds are very slow at around 1Mbps, both WLAN and Ethernet. Upload is fine at around 15Mbps. I have a fast internet connection and should be achieving at leas 30Mbps on a wireless connection. The broadband service has been checked and is fine. Other devices are downloading at the speeds expected. I've tried my laptop on my neighbours system and it is exactly the same so it's fairly certain that my laptop is the problem. I've restarted the wireless and Ethernet adapters with no improvement. Similarly I've re-installed both drivers but no change. So I'm wondering if I've picked up some rogue code somewhere along the line. What do you think?

Any help and assistance you can give me would be most gratefully received. Thanks.

• Root Admin

Hello and :welcome:

Please run the following scanner and send back the logs.

Download DDS from one of the locations below and save to your Desktop
dds.scr
dds.com

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.
How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.
Then double click dds.scr or dds.com to run the tool.
Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.
A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
    • DDS.txt
    • Attach.txt
  • Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please include the following logs in your next reply as an attachment: DDS.txt and Attach.txt
  • You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file and just post it or attach it.

• Root Admin

Judging from the logs the computer is probably either infected or has some type of software conflict.

==== Event Viewer Messages From Past Week ========.13/10/2013 15:46:18, Error: Service Control Manager [7032]  - The Service Control Manager tried to take a corrective action (Restart the service) after the unexpected termination of the Time Broker service, but this action failed with the following error:  An instance of the service is already running.13/10/2013 15:44:18, Error: Service Control Manager [7031]  - The Time Broker service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 120000 milliseconds: Restart the service.13/10/2013 15:44:18, Error: Service Control Manager [7031]  - The SSDP Discovery service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 100 milliseconds: Restart the service.13/10/2013 15:44:18, Error: Service Control Manager [7031]  - The Function Discovery Resource Publication service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 120000 milliseconds: Restart the service.12/10/2013 16:44:08, Error: volsnap [36]  - The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because the shadow copy storage could not grow due to a user imposed limit.07/10/2013 14:18:38, Error: Schannel [36888]  - A fatal alert was generated and sent to the remote endpoint. This may result in termination of the connection. The TLS protocol defined fatal error code is 43. The Windows SChannel error state is 552.07/10/2013 14:18:38, Error: Schannel [36884]  - The certificate received from the remote server does not contain the expected name. It is therefore not possible to determine whether we are connecting to the correct server. The server name we were expecting is client.wns.windows.com. The SSL connection request has failed. The attached data contains the server certificate.07/10/2013 14:18:06, Error: Schannel [36884]  - The certificate received from the remote server does not contain the expected name. It is therefore not possible to determine whether we are connecting to the correct server. The server name we were expecting is DB3WNS4011109.wns.windows.com. The SSL connection request has failed. The attached data contains the server certificate..==== End Of File =========================== 

I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

Thanks